Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LAPD authorizes 1911 for patrol!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    LAPD has been carrying the glock 45acps (optional) for a few years now, ever since the north hollywood shoot out.

Posts liked by others

Posted by mark2734 at the other 1911 forum:

"Currently only SWAT and SIS and former SWAT and SIS members who purchase their own weapons.

However starting the first of the year all Department instructors and expert or above level shooters will be able to carry private purchase 1911s.

2 day transistion school and required to qualify every month, vs 4 times a year for the rest of the Department.

The whole issue is the 1911 is the only duty handgun with a positive lock safety system. None of the other duty handguns are carried safetydecocker on. By restricting the weapon to, for lack of a better term, "gun guys", the Department feels it will prevent someone from having brain fade under stress and forgetting to take the safety off."

"ANY Colt, Kimber, or Springfield weapon. For once the people writing the paperwork realized the real world changes faster then the paper can catch up with it."

Dave Williams

Posts liked by others
    aren't there a large number of Beretta 92s in service in L.A. ?

it's difficult to belive that if they're still out three, on patrol they are not carried decocked.
    cold on ice it's a Deadman's touch...

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Garand1911
    LAPD has been carrying the glock 45acps (optional) for a few years now, ever since the north hollywood shoot out.
    Nope. I wrote the request before the shootout and it was for upgrading the S&Ws to 45. It was approved the week before the shootout at the Police Commision and went Department wide slightly after. Glocks didn't come along till Chief Bratton from NY came to power.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman
    aren't there a large number of Beretta 92s in service in L.A. ? it's difficult to belive that if they're still out three, on patrol they are not carried decocked.
    Do you mean with the decocking lever in the down position? Or do you mean that the hammer is cocked?

We carry the 92F, hammer down in double action mode, decocking lever up. It's been that way since I was one of the transition instructors in the 80s.

As for the 1911, I've had it for more than six months on the Instructor Pilot program and it's doing well, we hope to get it out to the troops in the new year.

Mike
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. Ernest Hemingway
    Last edited by Mike Grasso; 14th December 2010 at 12:23.

Posts liked by others
    exactly what I meant carried double action first shot as designed.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Grasso
    Nope. I wrote the request before the shootout and it was for upgrading the S&Ws to 45. It was approved the week before the shootout at the Police Commision and went Department wide slightly after. Glocks didn't come along till Chief Bratton from NY came to power.

Do you mean with the decocking lever in the down position? Or do you mean that the hammer is cocked?

We carry the 92F, hammer down in double action mode, decocking lever up. It's been that way since I was one of the transition instructors in the 80s.

As for the 1911, I've had it for more than six months on the Instructor Pilot program and it's doing well, we hope to get it out to the troops in the new year.

Mike
    Mike, which 1911 are you carrying? Does there seem to be a preference among those waiting to get qualified?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra45
    Mike, which 1911 are you carrying? Does there seem to be a preference among those waiting to get qualified?
    Can't go by me Have had 1911's for a long time.
    I have 11, 1 Colt, 4 Springfields (Pro, TRP, A1 and EMP) and 6 Kimbers (BP 10, TLE, SIS, Super Carry Custom, Super Carry Pro & a 22 Target)
    9 of them are set up for duty / off-duty use.
    Due to my assignment, some of them are set up for specific duties.

I have not heard any one maker touted more than another although Colt is not a front runner. TRP's and TLE's are the models most talked about.

Mike
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. Ernest Hemingway
    Last edited by Mike Grasso; 16th December 2010 at 10:54.

Posts liked by others
    so the insider scoop.

SIS still carrying Kimbers ?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman
    so the insider scoop.

SIS still carrying Kimbers ?
    I apologize to the Court, your Honor, but I have no independent recollection of the incident, if the Court has any Written, Oral or Electronic evidence that may be used to assist me in my recollection I would like to review them and then make a statement.

Mike

Posts liked by others
    Mike, I know you've had these apart and given them a thorough once over. Other than checkering and night sights, are there any other differences between the TLE and the standard Custom?
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast