Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not too over-penetrating JHP

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Not too over-penetrating JHP

Hopefully I'm on the correct thread with this question? I'm looking for a good brand of JHP i.e., weight and not too over-penetrating. My carry weapon of choice is an RIA CS. Thanks for any input.

Posts liked by others
    google the words------- flying ash trays 45acp
    cant we just all get a 1911 NRA & Gacarry member !

Posts liked by others
    the true " Flying Ashtray " is not made anymore.

Speer's 200 gr. .45 is now driven at + P velocity. it also does not have the same wide hollow point they used in the late 70's and 80's. it's longer, has deeply cut serrations and is a bonded jacket. it also has a nickle plated casing.

as for over penetrating, any hollow point even the premiums can do that if the cavity clogs with material or tissue. they do however significantly reduce this possibility.

any premium hollow point should " work " as long as your pistol feeds it reliably.

Winchester Ranger, Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, Remington Golden Sabers...
    just a matter of what you can find, and being able to test them in your pistol to assure reliability.

Posts liked by others
    Here's some great info about various types of bullets, as well as some recommendations for PD ammo - Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I personally opted for the Speer Gold Dot HP 230gr for .45ACP, and Gold Dot 180gr for .40 S&W

Posts liked by others
    I like a Gold Dot HP 180gr for my 1911s. I find mine from Georgia Arms and they are loaded at +P. The load good and kick like a mule. Just my .02 cents worth.

Posts liked by others
    Some interesting info on the 200gr GDHP +P ammo - http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._200grGDHP.htm

Posts liked by others
    I'd expect over penetration from about any serious 45 slug, at least as a very likely possibility. If it overly concerned me, I'd look at something frangible, i. e. Glasser safety slugs.

Bob

Posts liked by others
    Winchester "Personal Protection" 230gr JHP are standard pressure loads with a bullet profile very similar to ball.

They feed very well and are priced reasonably.

Take care,

Rick

Posts liked by others
    I wouldn't worry about over-penetration. If anything in the shooting world has been over-hyped its over-penetration. When the majority of rounds fired in a typical gunfight completely miss their intended target, worrying about what happens to the ones that actually hit the target and pass through is IMHO missing the point. Low velocity pistol bullets attain terminal effectiveness by maintaining their mass and momentum as they pass through a target. This also makes them effective at penetrating other objects. There's really no way around it. A pistol bullet designed to perform adequately against a human target (ability to pass through an arm and then penetrate the upper body deeply enough on a lateral shot to strike vital organs and cause trauma - all while defeating intermediate barriers like heavy clothing) will also have a high probability of completely passing through on other, less demanding, shots. Choose a defensive pistol load for its effectiveness and reliability.

I use Federal HST.

If you really need something with a lower probability of over-penetration and still having good terminal performance you'll need to look at a rifle. 5.56mm rifle bullets have less penetration of soft barriers than pistol rounds due to the rifle bullets tendancy to destabilize and/or fragment when striking an object. With the 5.56mm, its more a function of the length of the bullet than weight or velocity. The heavier (69-77gr) 5.56mm rounds, although slower and heavier, than the 55-62gr. rounds are actually more prone to upset and fragment due to their longer length. They also have less penetration of soft barriers (sheet rock for example) than 00-buck.
    Last edited by Tom in Ohio; 22nd February 2010 at 03:46.

Posts liked by others
    In .45 ACP, the lighter bullet weights will typically penetrate less than the heavier weights. Look for a 185 grain bullet over the 230 grain bullet for less penetration. However, I believe the Cor-bon DPX is most likely an exception to this rule of thumb.

I also believe older technology hollow point bullets will penetrate less than newer technology bullets. It seems "energy dump" used to be all the rage 20-30 years ago, but newer bullets seem to be designed to penetrate deeper.

The 185 grain Winchester Silvertip is probably one of the shallowest penetrating .45 ACP's you may find. However, that is probably why it is not considered the equal of the newer designs for defensive purposes. It does have about 400 ft/lbs of muzzle energy and typically feeds well in most pistols.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast