Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Collecting Dimensions - Bullet Data

Posts liked by others
    We have received a number of data sets here, but we know there are a lot MORE bullets out there. Please keep the information coming. We're going to start compiling the data into some sort of a table form, and the more complete it is ... the better and more useful it will be.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Some cast bullets. Weight may vary from that stated due to variance in cast alloys, as will sizing, but most cast around .453" in diameter and weigh at least reasonably close to their claimed weight when cast of wheelweights:

Redding/Saeco 068 200 LSWC of HG 68 pattern, 0.630" overall, 0.310" bearing length, 0.320 SWC shoulder to nose of bullet.

Lee 200 LSWC of HG 68 pattern, 0.645" overall length, 0.340" SWC shoulder to bullet base, 0.305 SWC shoulder to nose of bullet. The bearing length is somewhat shorter than the shoulder to base distance due to the presence of a substantial bevel on the base of the bullet. Because of this pronounced bevel base this bullet gets somewhat higher velocities with identical charges of powder due to slightly deeper bullet seating than many HG 68 clones. Meplat diameter is smaller than the average HG 68 clone.

RCBS 230 Cowboy roundnose flatpoint, has some popularity among ACP shooters. 0.598 meplat to base, approximately 0.275" from bottom of crimp groove to base. Many ACP shooters will load this to the vicinity of the crimp groove for a 1.200" to 1.220" overall length.

Lee 228-1R, a one ogive radius roundnose bullet that does not duplicate the military profile......less bullet length forward of the bearing surface. 0.633" from nose to base, Approximately 0.305" bearing length, approximate 0.328" nose length. A flatbase bullet. It is hard to determine exact bearing length, so view the figures for bearing to be plus or minus five thou.

Lee 230-2R TL, a 2 ogive radius roundnose that duplicates the military ogive profile. TL stands for Tumble Lube, the designed method of lubrication with Lee Liquid Alox. Designed to be shot as cast without sizing in most instances. Overall length 0.665." Bearing length, top of shoulder to base, 0.300." Nose length would be 0.365."

Lee 230 TC TL, a truncated cone bullet with tumble lube grooves. 0.648" overall length, 0.325" bearing length, 0.323 length of nose from bearing surface to meplat.

Lee 155 SWC. HG 68 sorta clone with really skinny nose, single lube groove and flat base. Recently discontinued. 0.590" overall length, 0.320" bearing length, 0.270" shoulder to meplat. Had some vogue among comp shooters in 45. Similar but not identical to the V-Maxx designs offered by Redding.

Jacketed Bullets

Winchester 230 JHP, handloading component bullet identical to that found in their 230 grain White Box hollowpoint. 0.640" overall length, 0.450" diameter. Bearing length of approximately .345". Keep in mind this is difficult to measure, so this length has a little potential variance.

Remington Golden Saber 230 JHP. This is not the bonded design. 0.640" overall length. This is an unusual bullet with a short full caliber bearing surface and a subcaliber "bore riding" section. The full caliber bearing surface is 0.220" in length and .450" in diameter, but the bullet will be seated with this bearing surface well below the case mouth when at proper OAL for feeding. The bullet diameter forward of the full caliber section measures 0.442" and should be at or just smaller than the land to land distance in most barrels. Rather than the more common gilding metal jacket, this is comprised of a mostly brass alloy.
    Last edited by 1944Colt; 21st March 2010 at 20:51. Reason: Correction to measurement

Posts liked by others
    National Bullet Co., 185gn LSWC, bevel base: OD at base = 0.4524"; Bullet Length = 0.548; Body Length (including base bevel) = 0.314"; Nose Length = 0.234".

That's about the 44th bullet. Sounds like lots of bullets, but there's still about 175 others. And some of the 44 already submitted were without nose (or body) lengths.

If you've got some bullets not yet submitted but don't have the time or tools to get the measurements, I've got both. All I need is 3 of each bullet. If interested, PM me and I'll send my mailing address.

Regards
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    One important measurement being overlooked is the meplat diameter of the SWC, TC and FN designs. The meplat size x impact velocity determines what the wound size will be. I for one would like to know which bullets have the largest meplat.
    Last edited by NonPCnraRN; 6th April 2010 at 00:53.

Posts liked by others
    Zero bullets
    230gr FMJ

diameter) .451 +/- .0002
    (2 tenths of one thousandth, as best I could tell with my cheap Harbor Freight dial calipers)
    Length) .652 to .653
    Weight ) 228gr +/- 1gr

..L.T.A.

Posts liked by others
    I just noticed this thread and will be more than happy to contribute, after I read through it, which ain't gonna be tonight, been into the beer supply.
    What about chronographed data?
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by kenhwind
    What about chronographed data?
    This thread is for compiling bullet dimensions, not load data. Chronograph data would be irrelevent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    One reason might be the bullet (as opposed to the cartridge) length. So, since that information is not being provided to us ...

Why don't we compile it ourselves? If everyone would measure up the bullets they're currently loading and post the information, someone (and I guess that means me) can compile it into a table that we can run as a sticky in the "Ammo & Reloading" forum area.

Subject to suggestions for what else you might want to see, I would think we would want the data to include

* Manufacturer
    * Bullet name, if any (such as Remington Golden Saber, as opposed to their generic JHP bullet)
    * Bullet weight in grains
    * Bullet type (i.e. FMJ, JHP, LRN, PLRN, LSWC, etc)
    * Bullet length
    * Base diameter (typically .451" or .452" but there may be variations)
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    In addition to the bullet's length, a measurement of its body length and the calculated nose length would be most helpful.

IIRC, one of the things driving this thread was the lack of COAL's for a lot of bullets because their manufacturers don't publish load data or any bullet dimensions (other than body diameter). But a good starting COAL can be calculated if the nose length is known.

Instructions for finding a bullet's nose length are contained back in Post #6.

Regards
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Sorry I can't be of much help at this time. I just checked my miscellaneous bullet box and there isn't much left. Thought I had some semi-wadcutters and FPs. Must of got low and loaded everything.
    I'm using Berrys 230 RN and we have them. I used their 200 SWC, but I'd have to pull one apart and I'm not sure the OD be correct.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"

Posts liked by others
    Precision Bullets "Black" Coated
    200gr RNF

Length = .568
    Base = .290
    Nose = .278
    Dia = .451

Avg weight of 5 was 200.8 (+/- 0.2 gr)

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast