Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Collecting Dimensions - Bullet Data

Posts liked by others

Georgia Arms

Purchased some Georgia Arms bullets last week. Here's my measurements:

Georgia Arms
    L45AA LSWC 200gr
    Diam:0.453
    Overall:0.6455
    Body:0.3305

These are listed as 0.452 diam but I get 0.453. Could be my inaccuracy.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johni
    These are listed as 0.452 diam but I get 0.453. Could be my inaccuracy.
    Few bullets have bases that are really, truly round. Cast lead ones tend to vary the most, so it's best to make several OD measurements across different diameters around the bullet and average the high and low readings.

And many bullets will have different OD's at the front and rear of the body - if you look and measure close enough. A single OD measurement can be very misleading.

Regards
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 19th March 2013 at 10:34.

Posts liked by others
    Post #16 used to contain an image showing a method for measuring the body length of a bullet (from which the nose length and minimum COAL could be found) but it disappeared. Here it is again:

It would be useful if Post #16 could be edited to show this image because it's referred to several times throughout this thread.

Regards
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others

Penn 200gr LSWC

I did not see this one:

Penn 200gr LSWC, BB
    Length: 0.655
    Base: 0.328
    Calculated Nose: 0.327
    Diameter: 0.452

Posts liked by others
    May already have these but here goes (measured 10 samples of each) :

Berry's 200 gr. HBFP #00337

Length: Min. 0.559 Max. 0.560 Avg: 0.5596
    Diameter: 0.452

Hornady 185 gr. Target # 4513

Length: Min. 0.526 Max. 0.529 Avg. 0.4275
    Diameter: 0.451

Missouri Bullet Co. 200gr. SWC "Bullseye #1"

Length: Min: 0.640 Max: 0.646 Avg: 0.6433
    Diameter: 0.452/0.453

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the new info Doc. We didn't have the Berry's #00337.

If you have the time, see if you can give us the body length measurement using the method shown in Post #103. Without knowing the body length, the data isn't of much use to the handloader because without it you can't calculate the nose length And without the nose length you can't calculate a minimum COAL as shown in Post #103.

We started this thread because many bullet manufacturers provide useless data for the cartridge overall length - they cop out by either giving the maximum SAAMI length or some other equally useless advice.

Posts liked by others
    Ok, I think I understand what is needed. I took 5 random bullets and marked each about 180 degrees apart with a Sharpie. Marks were scraped with a razor and two measurements were taken from each bullet. These ranged from a minimum of 0.301 to 0.322 for an average of 0.314. This is what I believe you are referring to as the body length of the Berry's #00037. If I'm doing the math right, the OAL-the body length=the nose length, which would give about 0.560-0.314=0.246 for nose length. Nose length plus case length would equal cartridge OAL. Please correct me if this is not correct.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Doc. You've got it correct. The only "trick" in this process is in the scraping: some effort must be made to insure the razor blade stays in firm contact with the back end of the bullet (so as not to scrape anything off the nose section of the bullet).

Another method that I've used involves doing the scraping by holding the bullet on a piece of flat stock and pulling the bullet toward me while rotating it slightly with most of the downward pressure applied at the back end of the bullet. But the variation you found is pretty normal for a plated bullet because thy get dented a lot during the plating process as they're tumbled in the plating solution.

Anyway, thanks to your body length measurement the minimum COAL would be about 0.895 + 0.246 = 1.141" and is simply based on the idea that none of the sub-caliber nose section of the bullet should be seated below the case mouth. But as far as the maximum COAL goes, you could probably use the SAAMI max or maybe even longer - as long as it fits in the magazine and the gun feeds it OK.
    Last edited by niemi24s; 12th February 2019 at 23:26.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011