Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Commanche design defect?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    This one has never missed a single beat. The only complaint I have, is that I wish it had a an extended/shelf cut slide stop, but that is something I can take care of when I get time. I really like the one Nighthawk used on my Vickers Recon.
    Get Involved In Protecting Your Gun Rights And Your Life
    www.gun-politics.org
    www.FirearmsTrainingandTactics.com

Posts liked by others
    I have found a (semi) local, reputable smith who has performed the frame mod on Baers and I will be meeting with him in two weeks to get mine fixed.

Don't yet know what it will cost, but it's either that or sell/trade it in on something that actually works as designed.

Even if I end up keeping it (and that is far from a certainty), this will be my last Baer. I will look at Brown and Wilson next time.

Posts liked by others
    Please report back. I may want to use your smith if his work is good and the price is right.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by orionengnr
    I have found a (semi) local, reputable smith who has performed the frame mod on Baers and I will be meeting with him in two weeks to get mine fixed.

Don't yet know what it will cost, but it's either that or sell/trade it in on something that actually works as designed.

Even if I end up keeping it (and that is far from a certainty), this will be my last Baer. I will look at Brown and Wilson next time.
    Good thing your getting the Baer fixed, or the way it SHOULD have came from Baer originally.

And I am a Baer guy, at least a "Government" Baer guy.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by orionengnr

I contacted John Harrison about doing this mod on a C7 I was considering - the price wasn't that bad. Still don't understand what LB's thoughts are here.
    REAL EYES
    REALIZE
    REAL LIES

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer's Match
    Still don't understand what LB's thoughts are here.
    "My way is better!" or is he thinking quietly "Oops, the masses have found out about a couple of my machining shortcuts!"

He's been doing this for years folks.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR
    "My way is better!" or is he thinking quietly "Oops, the masses have found out about a couple of my machining shortcuts!"
    I suspect it's the latter. It's a lot less work to just trim a fraction of an inch off the front of the dust cover than it is to set up the frame in a milling machine, cut back the rails, and then use a boring bar to move the abutment surface back.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    I suspect it's the latter. It's a lot less work to just trim a fraction of an inch off the front of the dust cover than it is to set up the frame in a milling machine, cut back the rails, and then use a boring bar to move the abutment surface back.
    Well yes but the Commanche is a CCO-style 1911. So the frame is a different part anyway, since the grip is shorter, so why not do the machining the right way to begin with?

Unless I'm missing something, and he also offers a short-grip 5" barreled pistol!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by rekladan
    ...Unless I'm missing something...
    As I understand it, all parts are CNC machined. Would it be so hard for a CNC programmer to copy the frame file and change the dimensions for the officer frame? I'm guessing if it really is an economy thing, it might be a little more costly to have to segregate the "commander" frames from the gov't frames, but I'm sure most people would agree the extra cost would be worth the trouble.

Then again, "work as designed" is subjective because Browning never designed Commander or Officer models. Baer designs his to use the slide stop. Not that I agree, just stating the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    The frame has to be milled in the first place, it's just a matter of changing to two dimensions (rail length and VIS depth or however you want to call them) in the CNC program. The frame's already chucked up, might as well get them in.

Also, the shok-buffs were included because of customer demand and have since been abandoned. Could not also a full-travel slide for the smaller models be demanded by customers? Unless enough people ask, LBC will continue to shorty gov't frame route...
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Les Baer- the Hattori Hanzō of 1911s.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by rekladan
    Well yes but the Commanche is a CCO-style 1911. So the frame is a different part anyway, since the grip is shorter, so why not do the machining the right way to begin with?

Unless I'm missing something, and he also offers a short-grip 5" barreled pistol!
    Nope. The Stinger is a CCO, the Commanche is a Commander.
    REAL EYES
    REALIZE
    REAL LIES

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast