Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Commanche design defect?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Mr. Harrison is not alone in his assessment. I have read much the same, from at least one other highly esteemed smith.

Full thread here.

Jason Burton
    Harrison/Baer - Dan Wesson Valor- 10mm TRP Longslide w/Trijicon RMR

Posts liked by others
    That's the post I was referring to...
    EBK
    "...there's one in every crowd for cryin' out loud, but why was it always turning out to be me?" --- W. Jennings

Posts liked by others
    My Hard Chrome Les Baer Commanche Special has no problem "slingshotting" and fires reliably. It had the capability to slingshot from the moment I got it and before it was ever fired. After reading this thread I contacted Les Baer Customer Service who informed me "on our Commanche guns you can not "slingshot" them, you will have to manually press down on the slide release to let the slide go forward, they are designed this way."

Now I don't know what to think. My slide travels .125 inches aft of the slide stop detent and easily allows "slingshotting".

Posts liked by others
    Today, it's all in the spin. This statement is not unlike many I have heard in regard to problems relating to various types of machinery and mechanical devices:

Quote Originally Posted by GVFlyer
    After reading this thread I contacted Les Baer Customer Service who informed me "on our Commanche guns you can not "slingshot" them, you will have to manually press down on the slide release to let the slide go forward, they are designed this way."
    Translation: "That's not a defect, it's a 'feature.' " (Meaning, "Shut up and go away. We have your money, you are no of no interest to us.")
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Un-huh. My confusion comes from the fact that the manufacturer is telling me that my weapon is not designed to "slingshot", but mine has sufficient slide travel to easily allow "slingshotting".

Where were you and what did you do in Vietnam? I was a Cobra pilot with Troop A, 3/17 Air Cavalry Squadron. Today I fly a jet where the wings don't move any faster than the fuselage.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GVFlyer
    Today I fly a jet where the wings don't move any faster than the fuselage.
    Ah-hmmmm, I have to assume that this is a good thing. I would hate to see the wings overpassing the plane, when I am flying over the Atlantic in January!!!!!!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    It is a good thing. The AH-1G Cobra in my avatar is a helicopter and therefore a rotary-wing aircraft. The rotor system, above the helicopter, is the wing and is rotating at around 324 revolutions per minute.

On an airplane, or fixed-wing aircraft, the wing is attached to the fuselage and therefore moves no faster than the rest of the jet.

Anymore, New York to London is a chip-shot and I can normally make it in less than six hours. It's going the other way - New York to Tokyo - that gives you plenty of time to think about things that "go bump in the night".
    Last edited by GVFlyer; 24th December 2009 at 13:17. Reason: Emphasis added.

Posts liked by others
    FWIW, my used Colt Commander came with a Government Model ejector in it. Don't know if it was made that way, or the part was replaced. Knowing about the differences in dimensions and slide travel, I was very interested in how the gun would work. A couple of times, the gun has left the last extracted case unejected. I attribute that to the absence of a live round in the mag to help the case out (the latter a 1911 design feature that is somewhat defeated by extended ejectors). So, even though the ejector does not extend forward of the rear wall of the magwell, and slide travel is shortened by (what did we decide?) .20" compared to a Government Model, I've never had a stoppage in maybe 500 rounds.
    "A grip safety is just another excess moving part. I have never known one to prevent an accident, and moreover, it is difficult to postulate a circumstance in which it might." Jeff Cooper
    Last edited by RickB; 24th December 2009 at 13:27.

Posts liked by others
    Just to add one more confusing fact to this "Commanche Specials Don't Slingshot" thread, I micrometered my full size Wilson Combat CQB's slide travel and its slide travel aft of the slide lock detent is identical to that of my Les Baer Commanche Special. Both "slingshot" without problem.

Posts liked by others
    The only time I slingshot a pistol is simply to teach a client how to do it. IMPO, any gun that won't chamber reliably from the slide stop is junk and should be repaired or destroyed. Sligshotting is slower and requires time and manipulations that could get you killed. Commanches are intended as carry guns. I don't see any reason to ever slingshot a carry gun.
    The fact that you don't see a need for a pistol to work as designed is not compelling or convincing to those of us who believe it should work exactly as designed.

I have a serious problem with my very first semi-custom 1911 not slingshotting. I do not and will not carry it as long as this condition persists, and if I cannot rectify this fairly quickly, I will sell it and move on.

FWIW, all of my Kimbers will slingshot (although that is not my preferred method, they are quite willing) and I am disappointed that a high-end 1911 will not.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast