Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat Bill Wilson Carry Pistol review

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Wilson Combat Bill Wilson Carry Pistol review

Please use this thread to discuss the Wilson Combat Bill Wilson Carry Pistol, as it was reviewed in our E-zine.

Thanks
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Last edited by John; 4th December 2009 at 05:28.

Posts liked by others
    Steve wrote an excellent article on a excellent 1911 carry gun. At 35 oz's it is heavy in comparison to my normal carry guns, a Colt New Agent or Colt Colt lightweight Commander. However, being a great carry gun, I could get use to the extra weight.

Steve, Thanks for devoting your time and energy on this fine article!

Best of Luck!
    Rich
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for very helpful review. Was/am looking at one of these and hoped someone would review it, especially on the issue of reliability. Although as a carry around weapon it's not very to the point to worry about using non-Wilson magazines and/or oddball rounds known to be troublesome feeds, it is comforting indeed to know that this pistol is open-minded about what it will serve up.

The one question you raised in your fine piece that comes back to haunt me is the the 2 pound-plus weight. You comment on the good recoil characteristics of this piece but I would be interested to know how you would compare it to the alloy-frame Commander you mention you use. That is, is the effect of the heavier frame significant in reducing impact and other "light gun" effects when compared with the alloy Commander or are they effectively similar in that regard.

I am not really asking whether the Wilson is a more "accurate" pistol per se but whether the additional weight in the holster is offset by a perceptible reduction in muzzle uplift (if that's the right term) or other recoil effects.

Posts liked by others
    Excellent review, Steve. YOu have no idea how grateful my banker is that the pistol isn't available in California.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    There is a difference in felt recoil in the hand compared to the alloy frame.

My alloy framed commander, which also has the small radius firing pin stop, is comparably easier on the hand than one which carries the standard firing pin stop.

The combo of the extra weight and the firing pin stop, make this gun very enjoyable to shoot. It would be a great gun to run the IDPA stuff with...which I bet Bill does too!

Frank, the only thing I can say...is export your family up north!
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    Frank:

Or; export 'em down south.

You can shoot "what ya' brung," or be able to buy pretty much what ever you want when you get here!

Take care,

Rick
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 4th December 2009 at 15:40.

Posts liked by others
    Excellent read, Steve!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Steve and Rick, thanks. I would like to move from California and am having some success promoting the idea. However, being able to buy more guns is not likely to be one of the top selling points, so I'm kind of soft peddling it.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Terrific review Steve! FYI, we have been working on a few sight options to address your issues with the width of the rear notch.

Also, stock hammer spring weight on compacts should be 23 pounds. The strut hole location of our hammers typically makes it feel like much less.

As far as the firing pin stop, we have been using the square bottom stops for a few years on compacts and 10mm pistols and by request on others. We make and sell a "bulletproof" sq bottom firing pin stop.

Thanks!

WCR

Posts liked by others
    Excellent review on a very fine pistol.
    The more I learn about Medicine the more I realize I have so much more to learn.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast