Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lead Bullets

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

C.O.L. for LSWC Bullets

What C.O.L. are you guys using for 185 Gr Lead SWC Bullets? I Use Zero Bullets and they have no listing for the COL.

Chief

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief-USNRET
    What C.O.L. are you guys using for 185 Gr Lead SWC Bullets?
    That's an easy question to answer for SWC's if you forget about the overall length and just think about the seating depth of the bullet. Just seat the SWC so there's a thumbnail's thickness (about 0.030") of bullet body (the 0.451" or 0.452" dia. part) showing in front of the case mouth as shown here:

Then see if the round passes the "plunk test" in your barrel. If it does, that's a good seating depth for that particular bullet. And it's that seating depth that determines the COL/OAL/COAL - you can even measure what it turns out out to be if you want to.

Regards
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 23rd March 2010 at 08:27.

Posts liked by others
    That's always worked for me, too.

Take care,

Rick

Posts liked by others
    I picked up some of these and they work very well. He happens to be a local guy that I can go pick them up. Good quality bullets. I use the 230 gr round nose. And they don't lead my barrel much. He told me to load them just like they were jacketed. I use the same load as I use to load the 230 gr Ranier.

http://www.mastercastbullets.com/home.html
    Ron

Posts liked by others
    Ron:

Thanks for the info!

I just sent Mike an e-mail and added them to my favorites.

Take care,

Rick

Posts liked by others
    Another of them Missouri guys. Seems a decent product, ok prices.

http://www.bootheelbullets.com/store.htm

Bob

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by niemi24s
    That's an easy question to answer for SWC's if you forget about the overall length and just think about the seating depth of the bullet. Just seat the SWC so there's a thumbnail's thickness (about 0.030") of bullet body (the 0.451" or 0.452" dia. part) showing in front of the case mouth as shown here:

Then see if the round passes the "plunk test" in your barrel. If it does, that's a good seating depth for that particular bullet. And it's that seating depth that determines the COL/OAL/COAL - you can even measure what it turns out out to be if you want to.

Regards
    sorry for newbie to reloading question but what is a "plunk test"?

Also another plus for Missouri Bullets! They shipped my order Wednesday and I received them Friday....all the way to Hawaii Using IDP #1 for my HK45 no leading problem.

Posts liked by others
    Hi Chief G: to the Forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefG
    sorry for newbie to reloading question but what is a "plunk test"?
    Plunk Test:

• Remove barrel from gun
    • Clean barrel (especially chamber)
    • Hold barrel with muzzle pointing down
    • Drop in a cartridge

The cartridge should drop all the way into the chamber under the influence of gravity alone. When it does, the case mouth should be in contact with the chamber's stop shoulder. If the muzzle is not against some surface, the sound of the case mouth hitting the stop shoulder should be a somewhat sharp "Thunk!". Knowing your barrel and how far a case head is from the barrel hood when the mouth's against the stop shoulder will help.

A second part of the test is see if the bullet got stuck in the tapered lands in the leade. Check for this by forcefully pushing the cartridge into the chamber, then inverting the barrel and checking to see if the cartridge falls back out of the chamber under the influence of gravity alone.

If it doesn't fall back out it's a sign either the bullet got stuck in the tapered lands in the leade or the case mouth had some remaining flare that wedged in the chamber.

Jacketed bullets should not be in contact with the leade lands. They need a little "jump" to avoid pressure increases.

Regards
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 29th March 2010 at 08:34. Reason: soelling

Posts liked by others
    niemi24s, thanks for the welcome and for the info you provided. Very helpful to me especially the 2nd part test.

Checked my load and it passed the first part test. However not with the 2nd part, had to seat my bullets deeper. Does this affect accuracy, on how far you seat the bullets from the lands?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefG
    Does this affect accuracy, on how far you seat the bullets from the lands?
    What little I know about it comes from the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook:

So I guess it's OK for lead bullets to touch, but not jacketed ones. The book doesn't mention plated bullets, but as a guess I'd say it's OK for plated ones to touch simply because those I've tested are softer than most cast lead ones.

Regards

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234