Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bullseye or "Action" what's more practical?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    learn Bullseye first... it will teach you the proper fundamentals... then go do what you like

I spent 20 years shooting BE and the fundamentals have never left me( and I old...)
    they apply to all forms of shooting

Posts liked by others
    I started shooting bullseye, then moved to IPSC, and had a difficult time reducing my splits but giving up accuracy as a consequence. You have to go against everything you've learned about breathing, sighting, squeezing, and spend a lot of time outside the comfort zone. Most of the former champions say they'd rather work with a student who can shoot fast and teach him accuracy than work with a student who can shoot one inch groups at 25 yards and try to teach him to shoot fast. It's hard. But I personally think if you intend to carry you should work on fast target acquisition and fast shots because in a gunfight you won't have the luxury of meticulously aimed fire and you'll be relying on muscle memory.

Also, Saul Kirsch says that bullseye shooting is a skill that rapidly deteriorates and recommends spending a few minutes each session shooting at the little circles, lest we get rusty. I find that to be good advice, myself.
    DESCENSUS IN CUNICULI CAVUM

Posts liked by others
    IMHO, I would start with BE. learn and practice the basics, especially trigger squeeze. I always say to work on accuracy first, speed will come as you work on the accuracy part. Besides anyone can shoot fast and miss, shoot fast and hit your target with everyshot takes time and using the fundamentals. Go to BullseyePistol.com there is alot of good information there that can help you with your shooting.

Good Luck!

BionicDad

Posts liked by others
    I've just gone through all five pages of this thread and one thing certainly stood out. That every poster here is speaking from the heart and no one is petty sniping at anyone. What a refreshing change from the usual "My advice is better than yours." attitude.

I'm a bullseye shooter myself but believe no one can ever get proficient enough so it is a GOOD thing to shoot as many of the other disciplines as possible as each has something valuable to teach that may someday save your life. Best wishes to all.

Posts liked by others

To BE or not to BE

I'm a late bloomer with just three years of shooting experience. I bought my first handgun at the age of 65 fulfilling a lifelong dream. I started shooting IPSC before I had my own gun and enjoyed it for an unconventional reason. I tried BE just once and didn't enjoy it which says more about me than the discipline. You see at 68 now, I have places to go and things to do and less time to think about the choices.

I have now shot in an IDPA match and stumbled into Steel Challenge just last year. I've enjoyed all of the experiences and recognize that all of the disciplines add to my personal skills. I don't train for "practical" reasons because I will never be able to use a gun for practical reasons in Canada. I shoot for pure unadulterated fun!

There is another aspect of shooting that an earlier poster alluded to and that is the fellowship. I travel with my guns and know that I can find a good group of friendly and decent people wherever I go by making myself a guest at a shooting club. Overall, shooters are disciplined decent and generous people or at least that has been my experience.

While my preference is for IPSC, because of the free flowing fun component, I find that SC has improved my abilities too and it is fun.

As they used to say in the 60's, if it feels good, do it.
    Night Hawk Custom Predator II 45, SIG P-210 Target Legend, Stag Arms AR15, CMMG M4-LEP .22 Upper and a Tactical Solutions .22 upper for the 1911.

Posts liked by others
    I shoot both bullseye and ipsc type shooting and think initially getting the fundamentals down with bullseye makes sense. From a pure action shooting standpoint I have heard it is hard to get a bullseye guy to speed up(as another poster indicated), but will always feel hitting where you aim is more important than going fast. While it may not win in action shooting, a slower center hit to me is better than a fast peripheral hit anytime. I believe it was Bill Jordan who coined the phrase speed is fine but accuracy is final- and he saw more than his share of gunfights

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345