Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cocking shoulder?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Question Cocking shoulder?

WHAT is that and why does it restrict the types of rear sights I can use?

-Ray

Posts liked by others
    I don't understand the question. I've never heard the term "cocking shoulder." You posted in the "Use of the M1911 in self defense" discussion area, so there must be some tie-in to a class you took or a book/article you read. What's the context for this question?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 6th September 2009 at 09:22.

Posts liked by others
    IIRC a "cocking shoulder" is reference to a rear sight with a vertical face that can be used for racking the slide one handed if needs be.
    Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination.

Member: CSSA, NFA, CASD, CBSC

Posts liked by others

Kimber is not clear but...

In the catalog they say the SIS has a "cocking shoulder" which allows for easier cocking of the hammer with one hand. I have never had a problem with thumbing back a hammer with the strong hand so I am clueless. This feature does limit the choices of rear sight for some reason I don't get.

-Ray

Posts liked by others
    I think it refers to the square, blocky front on the SIS rear sight. It has nothing to do with thumb cocking. The square profile allows the bearer to snag the sight against a piece of furniture, a door jamb, or a leg and use it to drag the slide for cocking the pistol. The SIS night sight is shown here:

For conrast, check out the Tactical, which also has night sights. But they have a tapered front profile that would preclude engaging the sight against an object to rack the slide:

I don't think it limits what you can put on for sights, unless you follow the LAPD SIS and want to be able to drag the slide by the sights. If that's not an important criterion for you, put on any sight you wish. It does appear, though, that the SIS dovetail is set farther toward the rear of the slide, so that would preclude using any very long sights unless you're up for changing the dovetail location.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Be advised that rear sights for 'II'-type FPS Kimbers are configured to house part of the FPS. The SIS has no such system, so any aftermarket sight that fits the dovetail will do. I don't know if this difference is why the dovetails appear different, but it seems plausible.

Ironically, it seems that the ACTUAL pistols that Kimber gave/sold to LAPD SIS have the series II FPS, after a late spec. change, so they don't have the sight in the picture in Hawk's post. They have a sight that also has a 'cocking shoulder', but it's just a step, about half-way down the length of the sight itself, instead of the sight's front face.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others

Heinie "The Ledge"

While looking for sights, I noticed that Heinie made the "Ledge" that utilized this concept... http://www.heinie.com/ledge.php

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for that link lund. I have wondered about changing the sights on my kimbers to plain black backs, I like the idea of a 1 dot sight, but was unsure of where to look!!

That link is super usefull.

chucky

Posts liked by others
    According to a printed article I read, the sight the actual LAPD SIS guns have, is a sight that Kimber modified from another of their sights. This Heinie model, from lund329's link, is very similar to that, if memory serves, but it would need a different dovetail:

Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Kimbernoob:

Kimber pistols have a proprietary sight cut, so be sure that any sights you order are for a "Kimber cut."

Take care,

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast