Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usage of Airsoft pistols for "in-house" practicing

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Usage of Airsoft pistols for "in-house" practicing

Gents,

The subject of this thread, was actually the reason, why these Airsoft Forums were included in our board, in the first place. What I wanted to know, from first-hand experience, is whether or not these pistols can be used for improving one's shooting skills, and for practicing in the privacy (or just the convenience) of one's home (or back yard).

So, if you would allow me, I'll start this thread, by posting my findings, after my initial exposure to those pistols, and after some limited playing with them.

1) Most of these pistols (at least the most expensive ones) immitate nicely the real things. In other words, handling them is very much the same as handling a real 1911. The later model your pistol is, the better its resemblance to the real thing will be. The most popular pistols are well represented in the Airsoft manufacturers product lines, so I am sure it will not be a problem finding your favorite pistol in Airsoft form. The 1911 is of course very well represented, with pistols ranging from a standard mil-spec 1911 to some of the most expensive custom pistols the well-known gunsmiths produce. Double-column magazine pistols immitating the Para Ordnance/STI/SVI models exist as well. From the other popular guns, Tupperwares are also very well represented, so are CZ-75, Browning Hi Power, Beretta 92, USP, etc.

2) For most of the pistols, the controls are at the correct places, as on the real thing. So if you want to familiarize yourself with a pistol (and you do not want to do it with the real thing or you want to continue your familiarization process by firing the pistol, in your living room), these pistols are great.

3) One difference you will immediately notice, is that the controls on these pistols are "lighter" than those of the real thing. For example, the recoil spring is very light compared to even a 12 lbs 1911 spring. So racking the slide for the first shot, will be much easier with the Airsofts, than with your real pistol. Also the safeties, although they click in and out of the safe position with authority, they do not come close to the feeling of a real 1911 one. So be prepared for this difference.

4) Accuracy-wise, all the pistols tested so far (with the exception of the Tanaka S&W Model 19 revolver), were accurate enough for self-defence and IPSC drills up to a distance of 15 meters, with reduced targets. I haven't tested them at longer distances, so I can't say what happens at 25 meters, but I am sure that you can use the Airsofts for such drills up to 15 or 20 meters using standard-size targets, without an issue. Just make sure you do not frustrate your wife, as you storm through the living room, pistol in hand and fire BBs at some expensive china. One thing to keep in mind here. The Airsoft magazines are heavy and delicate (compared to the real ones). So if you plan on practicing quick mag changes, do yourself a favor and do not drop the "empty" mag to the floor. A pillow or a box with some foam in it, will cushion the drop preventing dents on your wooden floor and damage to your mags.

5) Bullseye practicing. Even though some of the pistols I've tried are very accurate, please do not think that these pistols have the same intrinsic accuracy as a competition air pistol. So do not expect to have one-hole 5-shots groups at 10 meters. They are however very suitable, for sight alignment and trigger releasing practice. You may set up a firing line easily in your home and practice firing them, even while sitting on your couch. As we all know, repetitive firing (like dry-firing) is the key to become a better shooter and as my friend Hawkmoon says throwing a projectile downrange is a much better practice than dry-firing.

6) These pistols are extremely useful for trying man-to-man drills with your friends, associates or partners. The proverbial 7 meters (21 feet) rule can be easily proven in your back yard (see this thread). If you do try such exercises, please use protective gear, being hit with a BB at close range is painful!

7) Even though these are low-powered guns, please think safety above anything else. Follow the same safety rules as with your real guns. Never ever mix real and Airsoft guns, in your training area. If you train with Airsofts, do not allow real guns anywhere near the range. Even though I hate those orange tips or marks on my Airsoft pistols, if you plan to train with others, it's a good idea to leave these markings alone, so that the range master (or whoever is responsible for the training session) can easily distinguish a real gun from an Airsoft one.

Folks, these are initial thoughts, following my limited experience with these pistols, and of course, they are open for comments (that's why they were posted here).

I would appreciate if others, with more experience, can jump in and give us their thoughts.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Last edited by John; 23rd October 2007 at 05:25.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    One more thing I have seen, and which has been noticed on all the pistols I have tried thus far, is that the recoil is very light of course, but also it is not consistent. What I mean is that in a real gun, the recoil will always be in one particular direction (more or less), say up and to the right. In the Airsoft pistols, it's not consistent at all. Every one has its own peculiarities and some times the same pistol can recoil differently, which makes it difficult to practice quick follow-up shots.

I'll keep adding notes here, as my experience grows, but I sure feel lonely!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others

Another suggestion...

If you're gonna do airsoft force-on-force, using special paint rounds might be a good idea, too.

Check out http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=82154 for an example.

Mr. Caradimas, thanks for providing all us 1911istas with this board and the info on your site. Usually, I just lurk, but I've been doing so for quite a while. I use airsoft for home-defense training myself, also for drawstroke practice and CCW-placement testing. Not to mention that a plastic pellet in the derriere tends to encourage the local problem wildlife to expedite departure from my property...

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I understand what you are saying however, paint BBs (as the ones you suggest are known) are, as far as I am concerned, a definite no-no for Airsofters. If one of these things breaks inside the gun, especially an AEG (Airsoft Electric Gun, mostly imitations of assault rifles, or sub-machineguns), you are looking at a very expensive repair.

Fanatic airsofters, with expensive BB guns, would never use these. However, an LE dept., can of course take that cost into account. And the visual effect of being hit, will be much clearer.

Finally, thanks for the nice words, appreciated.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    Agreed--I'd never load paint into an expensive one. My normal practice pistols, though, are cheapo KWC springers that only cost me $25 each, so I'm prepared to call them "expendable."

And that is one reason to have cheap springers...

Posts liked by others
    "Painball" bbs are fine as long as you don't use them in any airsoft gun except spring powered pistol. Other than that the paintball bbs aren't worth the money.

I do target shoot indoors with airsoft guns because of the synthetic bbs and because of the reduced velocity.

Posts liked by others
    paintball bbs stain, alot they are made of more oil than actual paint dye, on that only use them on inexpensive springers, if u use em on comp pistols like infinities and it breaks in the barrel, yer going to be ******, VERY ****** when u find out how much it screwed up yer gun

primarily indoors, i use my 1911 (WA wilson combat) for ipsc practice and cqb practice

ipsc the targets are generally 5-10 meters out, use of hfc 134a or green gas works well in taking down popper targets

it is true the recoil is very light on the airsoft models, since on real guns the recoil takes back your entire back rather in airsoft it prolly takes a little of yer wrist;; but compared to a compensated 9mm there is a difference in recoil, but airsoft works very well in training for ipsc, my times for 6-10 targets at different distances went from 11 seconds to 4 seconds, in both airsoft and real steel

it is possible to replace hammer spring, trigger springs, tri glide systems from a real steel, gun/ 1911 to the airsoft model, to simulate real trigger pull, ive done it before in a WA beretta, of course i wasnt able to switch the recoil spring, just way too heavy for green gas to push back

Posts liked by others
    forgive typing justhad majir shoukder surgery.`looking at 3 month rehab. Know 0 about airsift. thought thr=ey shot foam bb. woulg you go airsoft or 22 covversion on my kimber so i cab at least practice`off hAND
    'you know Rico, the only difference between the good guys and the bad guys is we are better shots"

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by geneinnc
    forgive typing justhad majir shoukder surgery.`looking at 3 month rehab. Know 0 about airsift. thought thr=ey shot foam bb. woulg you go airsoft or 22 covversion on my kimber so i cab at least practice`off hAND
    They shoot plastic bbs, and I would go with the airsoft GBB for now since it will be easier for you to use with the surgery than the .22lr. And you can practice in the house and don't have to go to a range or anything.
    "NGFL"

Posts liked by others
    I agree with Moose. The plastic pellets are lighter and slower than even .22 shorts (which won't cycle a 1911 anyway). If you read the reviews, these pellets WILL punch through an empty Coca Cola can, and through several layers of corrugated cardboard box, but they can be used in your home with a suitable backstop. Recoil is minimal, so you would be able to shoot enough to maintain trigger control muscle memory, work on sight picture, and not risk aggravating the shoulder.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast