Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Thread: Colt recall

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Hope to read your shooting report and see some photos.

Posts liked by others
    My Defender broke 2 of the recoil spring flanges before I got the recall notice. It took forever to get a part. They are not available anywhere but Colt. I did some digging, and finally discovered that the Kimber Ultra Carry spring set and front bushing fit the Defender perfectly. And the Kimber part is off the shelf at dozens of places. I replace my recoil spring every 5000 rounds, and the last 2 changes have been with the kimber part - off the shelf from Cheaper Than Dirt. It's a third the price and does not break. My Defender gets regular workouts at the range and the ranch. It's a great gun and goes with me everywhere as my carry weapon. I have to be able to depend on it, and with the Colt recoil spring, I did not feel confident in it.

Posts liked by others
    Grizz44, Interestingly enough, I did the same thing. I have a Colt Agent and a Kimber Ultra. When I bought the Kimber, I remembered some issues with the recoil spring/flange back when I bought my first Defender when they first came out. You solution is a good one that works.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Griz44
    My Defender broke 2 of the recoil spring flanges before.......I replace my recoil spring every 5000 rounds, .......
    Hello,

I never considered a 3-inch 45 a range pistol......5000 rounds alone is plenty for a carry weapon let alone between recoil spring.....

Have you considered buying a full sized 1911 for the range?

Rgds
    Eric

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by egumpher
    Hello,
    I never considered a 3-inch 45 a range pistol......5000 rounds alone is plenty for a carry weapon let alone between recoil spring.....
    Have you considered buying a full sized 1911 for the range?
    I get that a lot Eric. So I pull 2 or 3 more of my 1911 pistols out of the bag. I have 7 of them now. I shoot them all regularly, even my 1929 1st year production Colt 38 super. That's what pistols are for - to enjoy! I even managed to procure one of the new 1911A1 Rail guns. It shoots nice, but won't fit in any of my holsters.

I practice with the Defender every time I go to the range. Since I carry it full time, I want to be certain that it stays in top shape and that I stay in top shape with it. Generally 100 rounds a week. I had it refinished once (the "lightweight" aluminum does not hold up very well to summer heat and lots of sweat. A good robust teflon coating cured that. If it does ever really break, I'll get another one, I like it that much. Recall or no recall (to stay on topic) it's one of the most fun guns I have bought.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031