Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: NCIC And Gun Loss Reporting

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

NCIC And Gun Loss Reporting

Be sure to report your stolen gun to your local police or sheriff's department as soon as possible. In the U.S. you will need the following information about your gun so that it can be added to the NCIC computer reporting system:

MAKE:
    CAL:
    TYPE:
    MODEL AND SERIAL #'S:
    DATE OF THEFT:
    MISC: (ex. Special grips, gun markings, etc)

This system covers the whole U.S. and is your best chance to recover your weapon.

GOOD LUCK!
    Ex - Gunners Mate 1st Class - U.S.C.G.

Posts liked by others

Access to NCIC..my rant..

I wish the folks who run the NCIC would let us make inquiries. I had a Colt P-9 stolen. A few months later I asked a County Deputy to check with NCIC, it had never been placed in the 'stolen' database. A call to Dallas Police Dept, and another to their Internal Affairs corrected that issue. Fortunately I knew a cop who was willing to take the time to log onto a 'puter for me.

About 5-6 years ago I bought a pristine Model 27, 5"barrel, factory nickel..turned out that the gun had been stolen.

'Civilians' should have access.

salty.

Posts liked by others
    We should have access, don't you think that It would be a great tool for the LEO for people to have instant access to that info?
    I agree with you saltydog!
    It only takes a few seconds to dial 911, It could take the rest of your life for help to arrive!

Security Provided By Kimber

Posts liked by others
    NCIC is a computerized index of criminal justice information (i.e.- criminal record history information, fugitives, stolen properties, missing persons). It is run by the FBI and is available to Federal, state, and local law enforcement and other criminal justice agencies and is operational 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. I don't think the Feds are planning to open the system up to non-law enforcement use anytime in the near future.

http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fbi/is/ncic.htm
    Ex - Gunners Mate 1st Class - U.S.C.G.

Posts liked by others
    Me either...But, since you could be jailed for receiving stolen property, and that charge will have to be addressed by an attorney and, perhaps, by a bail bondsman, and there is now a public record of the accusation that might sidetrack possible job possibilities, it would stand to reason that some access should be allowed.

Just my rant...I know it ain't gonna happen.

salty.