Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: my new dillon 550B

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

my new dillon 550B

Got it this week and my god is it nice. My lee pro 1000 is such a *** compared to this, then again a piece of aluminum can is better than the lee. But it runs flawless and smooth as ****.
    Got one question that one shot spray by hornday is what i use for the cases just to ensure extra smooth function. I also use it to spray the powder bar sides, the primer bar sides, and the shell plate. I figured since the spray does not contaminate the powder or primers and dries completely that this would be the best option for a good clean safe lube that wont collect **** when used.
    What you guys think?

Posts liked by others
    If you are loading pistol such as .45acp, 9mm etc there is no need to lubricate cases like you do for rifle. You may find lubing under the primer bar is a waste of time. Dillon says not to, not required. I find a lot of junk builds up there and wiping clean with a piece of cloth is required. You don't need anything there that will attract kunk.

You will love the 550 and Dillon support is the standard for any company selling retail, their service and support just can't be beat! Welcome to the other side!
    " Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair."
    - LtCol. Jeff Cooper as quoted in Guns & Ammo magazine, January 2002

Posts liked by others
    Yes I know I love Dillon. Never would go back now.
    The lube I use doesnt attract anything, its wierd when its dry i can touch it and feel that there is something slick there but its not tacky or anything. It works for me so far so I guess if the draw back is build up I must be ok using it then.
    Hey just a kool tip i found out, when i am loading i keep a spray can of air close to ocassionaly hit they shell plate to clean powder dust and case media that gets in it. It works great for cleaning the machine and my gun. My new friend is canned air, lol.

Posts liked by others
    I use the Hornaday spray on the empty cases because I am also using a Lee Factory Crimp Die which increases the effort required to operate the machine (in my case 1050 and 550). The Lee die is basically another resizing die and increases the amount of force to operate the machine by quite a bit; the lube helps a lot to reduce the force necesary to operate the machine. My experience in almost 30 years of reloading has taught me to NEVER lubricate either the powder measure or the primer slide, just keep them clean. Check this out with Dillon.

Posts liked by others
    Hairytaint,

I also have been loading on Lee Pro 1000's (five of them). On Tuesday I called Brian Enos and ordered a Dillon XL 650 (45acp) with casefeeder, and lots of other stuff. I have 5 pistols chambered for the 45acp, so I thought that would be a good way to start. I'll get conversion kits for the other 4 calibers later. Here's my question - What to do with the Lee presses when I don't need them anymore. Who has a good idea?
    Les Baer PII & PII Tac both w/1½"@50yd,Ed Brown Exec Target, SA TGO2,Trophy Match Longslide,TRP,Kimber Gr. Raptor,Classic Royal, Pro CDP, Seecamp .32,Colt Anaconda, Gov't 380, S&W 686, 642, - Dillon XL650 to feed 'em Newest, most laidback 1911 forum on the net: www.1911auto.org

Posts liked by others
    i am going to see if some sucker on ebay wants it. Too bad i had to drill out parts and add bolts to make the *** work, i will be lucky to get 30 bucks for it. i had to replace the shell plate bolt since the steel screw they used stripped the aluminum threads, go figure???

Posts liked by others
    How bad are these Lee presses you mention? I've been looking into trying reloading on a single stage press. But being in College now money's tight. What I'm saying is if they still work to reload I'd be interested in buying a press to learn the ins and outs of reloading before I shell out some money for a nice Dillion progressive.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by VWTim
    How bad are these Lee presses you mention? I've been looking into trying reloading on a single stage press. But being in College now money's tight. What I'm saying is if they still work to reload I'd be interested in buying a press to learn the ins and outs of reloading before I shell out some money for a nice Dillion progressive.
    All of these presses work just fine. They are all complete, with dies, powder hopper, primer trays, etc. I am in a financial situation that I am able to buy some Dillon presses, and no longer need these Lee presses.

I am selling all of my presses. One of the places I am offering them is here: http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=824.

This is the first day I have offered these presses for sale, and will NOT seperate any items for individual sale. Please don't ask.

All of the presses have worked for several years, and anyone may try them out before sale.

Update 9/13/04: Sold all 5 Pro 1000's
    Les Baer PII & PII Tac both w/1½"@50yd,Ed Brown Exec Target, SA TGO2,Trophy Match Longslide,TRP,Kimber Gr. Raptor,Classic Royal, Pro CDP, Seecamp .32,Colt Anaconda, Gov't 380, S&W 686, 642, - Dillon XL650 to feed 'em Newest, most laidback 1911 forum on the net: www.1911auto.org

Last edited by primersinmyshoe; 13th September 2004 at 17:05.