Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airsoft Pistols for Training

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Airsoft Pistols for Training

I've been noticing a lot of threads from folks who actually use airsoft pistols for their training. My son is in to airsoft big time and the pistols look realistic enough, but curious on what you all think the advantages and disadvantages of shooting an airsoft replica of a 1911 versus dry fire drills.

Obvious one is feedback. I always shoot better dry firing than I do on the range so the airsoft option would give me feedback without having to burn powder.

Does an airsoft pistol's trigger pull approximate the trigger pull on a real 1911? Can they be adjusted?

I principally train with a Volkmann Combatant Carry and can be a little anal about training with the weapon you are going to fight with. That said, if an airsoft pistol can help with practicing some of the basic firing drills, may be worth a look.

Posts liked by others
    I have several Airsofts, both 1911's and Glocks( ) and none of them match the trigger pull on either pistol. The pull on all of them is too light.

I did take a WE 1911 and removed the leaf spring which was not very good metal and replaced it with a real 1911 spring and it did make the pull more like a 1911 but still not exactly the same.

I did try bending the original spring but it didn't do much as it was soft metal.
    Last edited by Ken Grant; 20th May 2009 at 10:46.

Posts liked by others
    I just bought an Airsoft pistol for that purpose. While it isn't realistic in terms of accuracy or recoil, handling, sighting and trigger manipulation are helpful. As Ken said, the triggers are typically very light. While I haven't weighed the trigger on mine, I would guess that it breaks at around 2-3 lbs. It has a lot of creep and then firms up and breaks pretty cleanly.

I bought an all-metal pistol in the blow-back variety. It is heavy - maybe 32-35 Oz and has decent sights. Reasonably accurate within short (30 feet) or so.

Be aware, that even though they are intended as play things, some of the guns are reasonably powerful and relatively loud. They will penetrate one or both sides of an aluminum beverage can. Some will penetrate the bottom of the same can. Exercise caution and protect your eyes with ballistic glasses.

That being said, it is fun to shoot these guns and it allows me to go into the garage everyday and get a bit of trigger time and sight acquisition practice at a very low cost.

Bottom line is that anything that gets you shooting and helps keep you sharp is a good thing.

RMD

Posts liked by others
    Ken/RMD: Thanks for the input. Some of the airsoft guns my son has will push the airsoft BBs at over 450 fps and I've seen the kids coming home from "war" looking like they have Chicken Pox from the welts that get raised from getting hit.

I'll mess with my son's airsoft pistol and see how that works. It should be a little more entertaining that firing a pencil out of my 1911 during my dry fire drills.

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by Marine24; 20th May 2009 at 11:58.

Posts liked by others
    Be sure to purchase a Gas Blow Back that is rated for Green Gas but do not purchase the Green Gas because you can use Propane much cheaper.

When it is warm, I can get over 6,000 shots per Coleman Propane Bottle @ less than $3.00 ea.

The only differences between the Green Gas and Propane is the fact Green costs more,you get less shots per bottle and the Green Gas has Silicone oil added to it.
    You can get the same by purchasing Pure Silicone Oil and putting a couple of drops in the top of the Propane Bottle before screwing the adapter on the bottle.
    You only have to do this about every 8-10 mag fills.

Posts liked by others
    Good to know. My son has the Green Gas pistol now, but doesn't seem to work very well in colder weather plus the Green Gas seems to be getting tough to come by (transportation restrictions). Going to WalMart is a whole lot easier.

What is special about the adapter? This something you need to order through an Airsoft store?

Posts liked by others
    Ken: Disregard my last. Just did a Google search and came up with it. Not much too it but worth the $20.

Posts liked by others
    You might as well buy the Silicone Oil at the same place you get the adapter. Do not use anything except pure Silicone.
    You use the same oil to clean and lub your pistol.

You will find that in colder temps, the Propane performs just like the Green Gas.

What I do is to warm the bottle and leave the mags cold. I then fill the mags and place them in my pocket to warm up. Doing it this way gives you better fills in colder temps.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks again for the rudder. This is probably one thread that should be moved. I didn't realize there was an Airsoft section on this forum.
    Last edited by Marine24; 20th May 2009 at 15:54.

Posts liked by others
    One of the best uses for airsoft pistols in training is the ability to do force on force drills. You can learn things that aren't possible on the square range.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast