Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Period Pics Thread (Thread, permanent, pics, period)

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Semper Paratus

I can't resist, they are armed with M1917 revolvers in this photo, but I love dogs, and they look so excited:

USCG photo

"Dogs and their beach patrol handlers leap into action from a surfboat during a landing exercise along the coast of South Carolina, circa 1943."
    Have a pet? Join us at pets-r-great

Posts liked by others
    It just knocks me out to see some of the remarkable quality of some of your photographs. Some of them look like they were taken yesterday! Thank you so much for posting them.

Posts liked by others
    At the time he took these photographs, Gordon had just retired and had little else to do other than pursue his favorite hobby.
    DD

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by CO1911Carry
    It just knocks me out to see some of the remarkable quality of some of your photographs. Some of them look like they were taken yesterday! Thank you so much for posting them.
    Thanks! I enjoy sharing with the folks here.
    Quote Originally Posted by DD
    At the time he took these photographs, Gordon had just retired and had little else to do other than pursue his favorite hobby.
    Tim knows this, but I guess most don't. When I started cameras were too heavy to lug around, and too slow, so I began as graphic artist:

USN poster, Albert Sterner 1917

I gradually developed a more realistic style:

USN, 1942(?)

Posts liked by others
    With respect to the first graphic, my first thought was "This is really great". Upon reflection, my second thought was the lady with the broad sword is showing the sailor where the nearest...er..bar was....over there..

All kidding aside Gordon, keep 'em coming. I enjoy them so much..takes me back to the old days....
    Johnny

I miss America
    Sent from my keyboard using hunt-n-peck...
    SCIENTIA SIT POTENTIA

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy
    With respect to the first graphic, my first thought was "This is really great". Upon reflection, my second thought was the lady with the broad sword is showing the sailor where the nearest...er..bar was....over there..

All kidding aside Gordon, keep 'em coming. I enjoy them so much..takes me back to the old days....
    He does look a bit thirsty. I never went for the heroic style, myself, but it was popular:

USN, 1917

I can't help but notice that all three models for these fantastic old posters wore the leg strap. It would be very, very hard to document the use of the leg strap with photos.

Despite the absence of a pistol, no posting of recruiting posters would be complete with the Greatest Ever:

Howard Chandler Christy

Sign me up!

Posts liked by others
    A.B. you make me proud.

You can tell the age and period of some of those photographs and pictures. They show sailors with their rating badges (rank) on their right sleeves. Before 1949, deck forces wore their ratings on their right sleeves, while engineering ratings wore theirs on their left. In 1949, that was standardized and ALL ratings were worn on the left sleeve.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!
    Last edited by Tom; 8th May 2009 at 14:33.

Posts liked by others
    You are most welcome, my friend--as are all our squids here!

PS: I was going to ask you about the ratings, thank you, I was a bit confused by that--and the leg straps.
    Last edited by A.B.; 8th May 2009 at 15:33.

Posts liked by others

The Sentinel Redux

As promised, here are the remaining 4x5 Kodachromes by Howard Hollem, taken at Higgins Industries, New Orleans, in July, 1942.

Here is our Coast Guardsman atop a 78' patrol boat (MTB, aka PT):

Howard Hollem/OWI

And a close up from the transparency--note the nice "hangman's knot" on the tie.

(Andrew) Higgins Industries--note the new construction on the left, and...

(close up)

On any list of singular mfg assets essential to the war effort, Higgins Boat made it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgins_boat

Wishing you all a nice weekend,
    AB
    Last edited by A.B.; 9th May 2009 at 03:10.

Posts liked by others
    Isn't this currently the Avondale yard? (Northrup Grumman)
    DD
    Last edited by dogdollar; 8th May 2009 at 16:53.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast