Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Period Pics Thread (Thread, permanent, pics, period)

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

The Period Pics Thread (Thread, permanent, pics, period)

"A pistol in every post."

The Colt M1911 pistol, Signal Corps photo (circa 1918)

This thread is for photographs documenting the military use of our pistol: the when, where, how and by whom. All contributions, whether from personal collections or found photos, are welcome, as well as all information about the photo you might care to share--within the normal standards of decorum for the Forum.

This is intended as a continuation of a much less well-located thread of some length, with a great many photos posted by a variety of collectors and history buffs, and started and cultivated by the distinguished scholar and all-around raconteur, Mr. Charlie Flick: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ The old thread, and its three preceding threads, can all be viewed at these links:

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=40856&page=1
    http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...ht=period+pics
    http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...ghlight=period
    http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...ghlight=period

There are a few duplicates in the above threads, mostly my errors, I notice, but the links are still active. Altogether, this forum has been very lucky to have so many knowledgeable collectors share both the photos and their context with us. I very much hope all of our previous interlocutors will join us here, now that this thread has a permanent location on the board.

Since the photos I will be sharing are archival, we especially prize the posting of personal or unpublished pictures, and the stories that go with them. And since my archival sources are largely American, we are actively seeking photos from all of the countries that have at one time or another adopted our pistol for military use:

Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Greece, Norway, Pakistan, The Philippines, South Korea, South Vietnam, the Republic of China, Thailand, Turkey, and the United Kingdom. I am informed that Luxembourg acquired some 41 pistols from the US: I don't hold out a lot of hope for those, but the pistols once used by Austria would be nice to see.

Anyone who can add to the above list, please let us know. Also, if you are browsing the thread and spot an error, or wish to comment on a particular post, please drop in--no matter how old the post, or how many pages behind it might be. Time is relative, in this thread.

With that said, we will start this week with a series of photos by Margaret Bourke-White http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Bourke-White , taken while a LIFE correspondent in Italy, in 1945.

LIFE/Margaret Bourke-White photo
    The "sweetheart" stocks of Lt. John Ernser.

Margaret Bourke-White portrait of Lt. John Ernser, 26, 88th Division, Loaino, Italy, April, 1945.

http://www.lonesentry.com/unithistor...try/index.html

I will be posting a "flurry" of pics, if you will, to get the thread off to a rolling start: I have three more posts of Margaret Bourke-White's photos in Italy to roll out today or tomorrow; after that I will try to post one 1911-related photo each week.

Additional keywords: sweetheart grips, plexiglass, photo of girlfriend
    Have a pet? Join us at pets-r-great
    Last edited by A.B.; 3rd May 2009 at 12:51.

Posts liked by others

The Patrol

In April of 1945, the 88th Division was poised with the 5th Army to push into the Po Valley.

Spring Offensive

Margaret Bourke-White was there.

Welcome to the 88th.

On the road.

The enemy is out there.

Lt. Ernser briefs his men for a night patrol.

Note the GI Bulletin posted on the wall, the headline reads "2470 down! xxx (illegible) to go!" (Beats me. Kilometers?)

The patrol moves out.

The objective.

Note the pistol worn by the interrogator--and where it is carried, police-style (note his wristwatch, he is right-handed). Holabird alums, what do you think? I'd speculate the interrogator may have been a detective, in civilian life.

After interrogation.

Debriefing.

Portrait of Lt. John Ernser, by Margaret Bourke-White:
    Last edited by A.B.; 3rd May 2009 at 13:47.

Posts liked by others

Fire Support

She also visited a chemical mortar company.

Note the pistol.

Witnessing a barrage.

Margaret Bourke-White photo

Posts liked by others

Buffalo Soldier

And visited the 92nd Division.

Buffalo Division

A portrait of Lt. Herman M. Bell Jr., artilleryman of the 92nd Division, posing with his custom-holstered pistol. The Appennine Mountains, April, 1945.

LIFE/Margaret Bourke-White photo

I believe that his ribbon is the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal.

Posts liked by others
    Awesome pictures. I bet there are 1000's of these out there that might not see the light of day again.
    Finem Respice (Consider The end)
    Principils Obsta (Resist The Beginnings)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditto_95
    Awesome pictures. I bet there are 1000's of these out there that might not see the light of day again.
    Naw! A. B. gonna post em all right here, he's just getting warmed up with his new thread.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"

Posts liked by others
    outstanding pictures!

Posts liked by others
    Great pictures as usual A.B.! Keep 'em coming!

Posts liked by others
    Congrats A.B.. Full speed ahead.....
    Johnny

I miss America
    Sent from my keyboard using hunt-n-peck...
    SCIENTIA SIT POTENTIA

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, guys, you're all most welcome. And Ken, I'll try!

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast