Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.F. Sedgley .22 conversion barrel?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

R.F. Sedgley .22 conversion barrel?

While stopping in some antique/thrift shops in oldtown Fredericksburg, I came across a basket with misc. military items in it. What interested me was an OD canvas pouch with a US inked stamp (that the barrel fit perfectly into) inside was what appears to be a barrel sleeve conversion in .22 cal. that appeared to be made for a 1911. It was blued had some surface rust and the bore was frosted. It was marked R.F. Sedgley Inc Phila PA USA and threaded on one end. The odd thing was the bore was offset? Where these used by the military at some point? Perhaps WW II era? I was going to buy it but felt the asking price of $75 was high for something so hastily manufactured. Anyone ever seen or heard of one of these?

Posts liked by others
    The bore is offset so the firing pin will strike the rim of a .22 cartridge. The end is threaded for a round serrated nut to hold the sleeve in the barrel when the slide is retracted. There are two little "ears" on the chamber end that clocks the insert with the barrel hood to keep the extractor relief cut on the side aligned with the extractor. They could be used without the recoil spring to make it easier to load the cartridge. All I've seen have a serial number stamped on the chamber end. I believe these were 30's vintage. I haven't seen any US marked but I suppose it's possible some were used by the military. I think $75 would be very cheap if it were US property. The missing nut would detract from the value but some kind of clamp could be used I think.

They also modified some barrels with the sleeve permanently installed. Mine has the intertwinded HP stamp on top of the chamber. I have yet to shoot either of these. The insert is especially thin on the bored side and I obtained some Agiula no powder rounds to try when I get around to shooting them.

The HP stamp is kind of hard to see in this picture.
    Last edited by Doran; 2nd September 2005 at 13:38.

Posts liked by others
    R.F. Sedgley Inc. of Philadelphia, PA offered a simple .22 conversion during the 1930 depression years. It consisted of a round barrel that slid inside the .45 cal. barrel. It had a shoulder on the chamber end and a threaded nut on the muzzle end to retain it. The chamber and barrel hole were offset to the right so that the regular firing pin could hit the rim of the .22 cal. cartridge. The offset also allowed the regular extractor to remove the fired case. Sorry no information regarding US Military useage.

Posts liked by others
    Doran, thanks for the ad, it was like the one in the second ad. It did have some numbers stamped on the end like your example. I see the nut or retainer in the ad, that is indeed missing. There were no other markings other than those I mentioned (no U.S.). I get the offset now, the centerfire firing pin strikes the rim of the rimfire. It did not dawn on me at the time. I searched the web for military canvas, and after reviewing some pictures I think the pouch may be one that was used for cleaning rods/kit that would go into the buttstock of an M1 or an '03. Does look like a hasty device. Thanks for the help.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Good Lord, I've never heard of this thing. Amazing!

Doran (and all), can we see some more pictures of this thing? I want to add it in the Home Page.

Rgds
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Here you go, John.

You can see how thin the insert is at the muzzle end. Not only is it that thin there are also threads cut for the retaining nut. The threads are so fine I've always been afraid of stripping them so when I shoot this thing I'm going to use something else to retain the barrel, like maybe a few thick O-rings. I bought the specialty Aguila 22 ammo because it uses only priming compound, no powder. I want to be as gentle on this one as possible.

The barrel looks like it was bored out to something like .500 and the liner frozen in. I wouldn't be afraid of normal cartridges in this barrel but I'll probably use the Aguila anyway. It appears the ad for the barrel used the same picture as the insert. The conversion barrel doesn't stick out any farther than a normal one.

(Correction: A friend has reminded me that A.F. Stoeger Co. had the replacememt upper 22 conversion unit, not Sedgley. I should have remembered/realized that when I couldn't find pictures; too early in the morning I guess.) It had a tip up barrel similar to the small Beretta pistols. I had a chance at one of those once but couldn't get a bid in fast enough. I'll see if I have a picture or ad of one of those.

I've had these for quite a while but never shot them. This may motivate me to get to the range soon and give a report.
    Last edited by Doran; 28th August 2005 at 09:10. Reason: incorrect information

Posts liked by others
    Doran, if I'm not mistaken Aguila now offers the colibri rounds in two velocities (one slow and the other slower, I guess). The faster is the newer one to the market.

The ad says this conversion is designed for the .22 Long, and I suspect that is accurate. I don't think the .22 Long Rifle existed way back then. But since a .22 headspaces on the rim, I see no reason why you couldn't move up to .22 Shorts if the colibris function okay.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Whoops!

Wrong again. (That makes twice this year ... I've used up my quota.) The ad for the insert says .22 Long, but the ad for the replacement barrel says .22 Long Rifle. So I guess the .22 LR did exist that long ago.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Doran, thanks for all the pictures and details on the sedgley. The one I mentioned was the first I'd ever seen. Here is a stock photo of the Stoeger .22 conversion unit (complete upper).[IMG][/IMG]

Posts liked by others
    Can you call and get the serial number of the one you saw? A friend is compiling statistics about these Sedgley units.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast