Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Firestorm DLX review in our E-zine

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Firestorm DLX review in our E-zine

Please use this thread to discuss the Firestorm DLX, as it is reviewed in our E-zine.

Thanks!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Steve, My compliments on a well thought out and professionally written review!

In the photo's of the rear sight, the two dots do not appear to be equal in size or height. It that a result of the photo image or a defect in the sight.

I am happy to see you back, and hope that you have recovered fully from your illness.

Thanks again, for another fine review!
    Rich
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D

Posts liked by others
    An excellent review. Well worth the weight.

I, too, noticed that the rear sight looked a little rough in the pictures. Also the barrel stamping "45 ACP" looked a little ... wobbly ... in the picture. Could be the angle and curved surface, but the letters didn't look evenly placed.

Of course, those things are cosmetic, and as you stated, this is a "budget" pistol and those things are obviously secondary to functionality and reliability, and it was good to hear that in those two categories, the Firestorm met the mark.

Speaking of "budget", maybe it is just me and my Linux/Firefox configuration, but early in the article, instead of what I think should read "budget" (including the quotes) appears as “budget”.

Here are some examples:

... we have tested six pistols that fall into the “budget” category of guns available ...

... the shooting public. “Budget” simply means a pistol ...

... conducting a test of MetroArms’ Firestorm Government DLX Model ...

I'm guess this was more an error due to formatting the document to a web-friendly format. Maybe John can correct that.

Again, a great review. Thanks for your time and efforts.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    Good review, Rio.

So far, I like just about everything I have seen about the new Firestorm/Metroarms pistols, except ...

... the grips (or "stocks," for you purists). The review comments that they are a bit roughly cut. It doesn't mention that they also seem to be cut smaller than "standard" 1911 double-diamond stocks. There's more of the sides of the frame showing both in front of and behind the grips than we usually see, more of a reveal around the mainspring housing pin, and ... a real "no-no" -- the top of the left side grip panel doesn't extend up to act as a retainer for the plunger tube. There is no doubt that if one of those pistols ever made its way to my humble abode, the factory grips would not survive the first evening under my roof.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Rich,

I'm afraid you have to blame the lighting for the uneven nature of the photographs of the rear sight. The dots are actually the same size, and of equal brightness. My fault, and I'll try to do a better lighting job for my photos in the future. Thank you for your kind comments, and your concern about my health. I appreciate the thought.

Tom,

I don't know where those "typos" came from, as I see them on my version of the E-zine too. As for the "45 Auto" photo, again mea culpa! While this is struck rather hard on the barrel surface, the letters and numbers are straight.

My thanks go out to you, as well.

Hawkmoon,

I've yet to test a pistol from my friends in the Philippines that have the type of stocks/grips that you and I prefer. If you'll reference some of my earlier reviews of the RIA line of guns, you'll find my comments to echo some of your thoughts here.
    Steve
    Last edited by Rio Vista Slim; 16th February 2009 at 17:45. Reason: additional text

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio Vista Slim
    Tom,

I don't know where those "typos" came from, as I see them on my version of the E-zine too.
    Let's blame it on that crazy Greek publishing company we use. I'm betting he did all the doc-to-web conversion on that silly new Mac of his, and something that introduced these odd characters.

Good to know, too, that the stamping is clear and "professional". I know it is hard to get a good photo on a round and shiny surface. I figured the lettering was straight, but thanks for the confirmation.

And I don't know too many people who would buy an M1911 pistol just for the grips (though I am sure someone out there has). And as long as aftermarket grips will fit, I think that's the least of any potential buyer's concerns. It goes bang every time you squeeze the trigger and the holes end up where you expect - that's what most people care about.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    I have the "Government" model from these same people. I bought it for extensive dry fire practice and have been quite pleased with it so far (around 8K). The trigger has come in very nicely.

You mention the extended slide release and (being Left handed) I had to trim it to about one half the width so that it does not get in the way of my trigger finger. Once I got it down to about one half width I used some cold blue to get it looking like it had the factory finish.

I also changed out the grip panels to rubber ones much like Kimber uses (in fact they came from one of my Kimbers). That helps the feel of the grip considerably.

I got mine for $395 (US) from a local dealer (+tax). Seems well worth it.

Posts liked by others
    Excellent review my friend.

Posts liked by others
    Nicely done, I think you covered it pretty well.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    makes me want one now! there goes some more money
    this is a disease that never seems to go away

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast