Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Leatherman vs. Leatherman

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Leatherman vs. Leatherman

Today I decided it was time to replace the Wave that I broke in Iraq a couple of years back. I bought a Fuse and eagerly cut it out of the packaging.....

I hefted it, opened the tool, looked at it really closely to make sure it said Leatherman on the side, pivoted out some of the tools, and looked for the Leatherman markings again. Yes, they were there.

"Maybe I'm imagining things" I told myself. I walked over to my brother, said "Tell me your first impressions of this" and tossed it to him. He looked at it, hefted it, looked at it again....said "Its light", then he walked around for a few seconds until he found an ice fishing hut with chairs in it (we were still in the store), sat down, and began taking out the tools one by one. The next thing he said was "What kind of metal is this thing made of? It feels cheap."

I told him that I thought it was made of pot metal. We both decided that if someone tried to use it as a pair of pliers, the thing would break immediately. I walked back over to the display case and grabbed a Wave, then took them both to customer service for the exchange.

The price difference between the two was $30, as the Wave cost $70 where I was. I am amazed at the difference in feel of the two tools from the same company. I already know the Wave is a great tool, so I am not worried about that one, but the Fuse just gave off the impression of one of the most poorly made multi-tools I have ever seen.
    Right is right, no matter how much you wish it wasn't.
    I'm tellin ya, I'm invincible.... I cant be vinced!

Posts liked by others
    I've carried my Wave since its introduction and have been more than happy with it. I collect multitools, but haven't tried the Fuse. The one-hand blades on the Wave are reason enough to choose it, and the other tools are just icing. If only mine had an awl...

Good Luck, Bill.

Posts liked by others
    Have most, but always carry a micra. Have a bunch of them as every time an old friend sees it he wants it. Give them away as stocking stuffers at Christmass, etc.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others

Leatherman

I had tried a leatherman of a friends once. I seemed to dig into my hand badly when trying to use much force with the pliers. I bought a Gerber and have liked it better(to each his own). I'm not saying that the leatherman isn't any good, they are, i'm just saying that I can put more pressure down on a nut or what ever with a Gerber than with a leatherman.
    I broke mine last year and sent it back to have it repaired. They sent me a letter saying they could not repair it and said have a new one on us!!! I paid $50.00 for it when I first bought it, they are around $70.00 and up now so Gerber gets a thumbs up from me.