Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Fathers Day

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Team Match II Member Field Test Report

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Kimber Team Match II Member Field Test Report

Field Test of Kimber Team Match II in 45 ACP:

Iím a seasoned handgunner but this is my first 1911 and I chose it because it came with most of the features I wanted and was less expensive than purchasing a Stainless Gold Match and then adding the front strap checkering and magazine well. I plan to shoot this production pistol quite a bit and then move up to a custom made 1911.

Rounds fired to date: 5,233 reloads since Oct 2004, no factory ammunition fired.

Break in Period:

With the exception of the ammunition, I complied with the break in procedure recommended by Kimber.

Instead of factory ball ammunition I used reloads. All loads were with hard cast lead SWC bullets in various weights and designs. I used mixed head stamp brass.

Field stripped, cleaned and lubricated with Shooterís Choice FP-10 every 150 rounds during break in.

I burned through the 500 round break in period in two weeks so I hardly even noticed except for stopping a little sooner to clean and lube. Personally, I much more interested in how it will perform over the long run with lots and lots of rounds through it. Typically, Iíll shoot allot more than 500 rounds just trying out different load combinations before settling on a standard load anyway.

I couldnít detect any difference between the pistols current performance and how it worked during the break in period.

Cleaning and Maintenance:

After break in I field strip, clean and lube every 250 rounds. Lubricant is Shooterís Choice FP-10.

Recoil spring changes are done every 1,800 rounds.

Despite the use of lead bullets the chamber and barrel remain conspicuously free of fouling compared to all of my other handguns. Iím guessing this is in part due to the match chamber and barrel.

Plan to do a detailed disassembly and cleaning at least once per year.

Magazines:

Iím using the chrome or nickel plated 8-round magazine that came with the gun plus two after market clips that have the same patent number and resemble Chip McCormick clips except that there are no markings on them other than the round count. No problems noted with the magazines.

ďTactical ExtractorĒ:

Doesnít seem to be a problem with appropriate ammunition. Old and worn brass with beat up rims may allow the extractor to slip off the case occasionally. When using reasonably good brass no problems were encountered.

I do like how easy it is to remove the external extractor compared to my other external extractor handguns.

My fellow shooters pointed out that the Kimber throws brass consistently in the same area despite using mixed head stamp brass.

ďLoaded Chamber Indicator PortĒ:

This feature doesnít seem to work. Despite clean and shinny brass in the chamber and direct sunlight I canít tell that a round is in the chamber looking at the port.

ďPremium Aluminum TriggerĒ:

Trigger pull out of the box measured 3 and 1/8 pounds. Small amount of creep but I donít notice it on the range. For action shooting this pull weight works for me. If I was shooting for accuracy only I would prefer it to be somewhat lighter.

Kimber Adjustable Sights:

I prefer adjustable sights because of my use of reloaded ammunition with a large variety of bullet weights and styles. The sights that came with the gun appear to be good. My preference would be for three white dots sights instead of the black blade and post but have no plans to change the sights.

Front Strap Checkering:

The front strap checkering seems to aid in maintaining my grip and I wish that the trigger guard had checkering on the bottom and front as well.

Magazine well:

The gun came with this and it works well. I didnít realize the advantage until I saw my fellow shooters doing reloads without one.

Series II:

I havenít been able to detect any problem with the type II safety system.

Accuracy:

Generally, speaking it will shoot about a 1.1Ē group center-to-center at 25 yards. I plan to develop some accuracy loads to see if I can improve on these results.

Breakdowns or repairs:

So far none nor have I been able to detect any signs of wear or other problems. After itís been cleaned up you canít tell itís had several thousand rounds through it.

OVERALL CONCLUSION:

Iím pleased with the pistol's performance to date. I like the additional features the pistol came with and Iím glad I got them. Since I havenít had any need to contact Kimber I canít comment on customer service from the company.

Update:

June 2006

Recently passed the 5,000 round mark without a problem. Weather and range issues have kept shooting to a minimum for now. Hope to get several thousand rounds through it before the 2006 season ends.
    Custom Caspian 1911 45 ACP Compensated, Kimber 1911 Team Match II 45 ACP, Springfield Stainless Loaded Target 1911 9mm, Cz Czechmate 75 TS 9mm Major.
    Last edited by Recon; 10th June 2006 at 21:56. Reason: Update rounds fired to date

Posts liked by others
    Nice job Recon. Looks like a keeper. You sure thats not my drybox?

Posts liked by others
    Very nice job and good pic's.
    I am happy to here from other Kimber owners that are having good luck with there guns!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 auto
    Nice job Recon. Looks like a keeper. You sure thats not my drybox?
    45 Auto: LOL, Come to think of it your name is on the gun, the brass and the dry box. Now I know its actually your stuff. I just can't figure out how I ended up with all this stuff.

45 Auto & Sandman1967 thank you both for your comments. I wasn't really sure how to do a test report so I just did it.

Rgds.
    Custom Caspian 1911 45 ACP Compensated, Kimber 1911 Team Match II 45 ACP, Springfield Stainless Loaded Target 1911 9mm, Cz Czechmate 75 TS 9mm Major.

Posts liked by others
    Very informative!Thanks!

Posts liked by others
    mines a bit finicky on handloads with LWSC (FTF) but I have tons of surplus pulled & polished 230gr ball. accuaracy is outstanding. i WANT a twin in 38super.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by recon
    Generally, speaking it will shoot about a 1.1Ē group center-to-center at 25 yards. I plan to develop some accuracy loads to see if I can improve on these results.
    You plan to develop loads to improve on a 1.1" center-to-center grouping at 25 yards? What? Are you trying to put all bullets in the same hole? Gee, some people are never happy. And is that group off-hand or via a Ransom Rest? I would be happy if all my rounds were in a 1.1' at 25 yards off hand, LoL.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    John:

The 1.1" group was shot off a home made rest on a bench. Off-hand slow fire groups grow to 1.5" to 2.0". I'm just interested in seeing how small I can get the group and how much difference various loads make on the group size. Considering this Kimber is a production gun I think it does pretty well.

geneinnc:

I haven't had any problem with FTF provided I keep the cartridge OAL with LSWC at 1.250" or so. Going shorter than that does reduce reliability with LSWC. The Kimber also prefers a case mouth diameter of .469".

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Oh, OK, because when I first read that, I got so disappointed I almost lost every wish for shooting!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    i bought the gold match II in comparing both. i love the front checkering but also wish they did the trigger guard as well. i went with the GMII because of the IMHO not so attractive grips... i know easy to change but the main thing for me was the highly polished sides on slide and frame as well as the IMO cheesy "team match" title since i am not a big olympic fan its cheeseball to me. i know some would love it.also the bottom of the mag well feature??? what for? looks?

i like how you documented everything and essentionally we do have the same gun and i love it too i am still breakin in though just 250 rnds and 2 cleanings so far..... i am not to worried bout the EE since i havnt had a single FTE or F yet (knock on wood)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast