Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Speer GDHP-SB question

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Speer GDHP-SB question

I did a search of the forum for this and didn’t come up with anything. So if this has been covered before I apologize for the redundancy. I was going to get a box of Gold Dots to evaluate feeding and performance to make the short list of “business” rounds. My local supplier is out of 230gr. GDHP’s but have 230 GDHP-SB’s, the SB for short barrel, I shoot an RI compact and my question is this? Is the SB a gimmick or is it valid? Does anyone have any experience with these?
    Thanx
    mark

Posts liked by others
    After considerable searching for loading data for Gold Dots I came across Alliant Power Pistol's max load of 7.4gr for a vel of 881fps out of a 4.4" barrel this looks closer to be in the vleocity ball park...i really need a new loading manual
    any thoughts on this?

ps this is for functions testing not carry...dont need to go down that road again
    Last edited by markdavidson; 15th January 2009 at 21:09.

Posts liked by others
    FYI.....Alliant new load data on their website and handbooks is quite hot. They have increased the powder charge quite a bit. Just be careful. Their new load data for a 230 gr JHP is now 8.1 I loaded some up at 7.7 and was getting some over pressure signs. I finally settled on the old max of 7.4. Just my experience.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posts liked by others
    If you go to the CCI/speer web site, their ballistics on the SB load is not what it looks like. To me short barrel is below 4 inches, they tested velocity at 4 inches. does not IMO show what a 3 inch or 3.5 would be for a short barrel 45ACP. Just my .02
    Colt certified M16/ar15, 1911 armorer
    H-K certified MP5, rifle, burst trigger, usp, armorer
    Glock certified armorer and instructor

Posts liked by others
    The Speer SB loads are different from the standard Gold Dots. They redesigned the hollow point to expand at a lower fps threshold, so it is a different bullet.

Posts liked by others
    LeeCreekKid -- thats abit suprising as powder companys ussually are a bit on the conservative side with their data (lawyer stuff). on their website, the GDHP data shows the 7.4gr

speer says their goal with the SB is to provide compact users with terminal performance that meets the FBI's standards. GDHP's are listed to have a vel of 890fps, (I assume a 5" barrel) the SB at 820 Listed 4.4" barrel, since the bullet is supposed to be able to perform at that lowered velocity, my goal would be to duplicate it not necessarily exceed it. I do not believe in +P's. of course this is all moot if i cant achieve a reliable, and acurate round

Posts liked by others
    FYI.....Alliant new load data on their website and handbooks is quite hot. They have increased the powder charge quite a bit. Just be careful.
    Agreed, I was looking at that a few days ago and was suprised by the loads, even for Bullseye and Unique.

As far as the SB ammo, I don't feel it's really needed, but I doubt it's a gimmick.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Posts liked by others
    IIRC, I read somewhere that the Speer GD SB loading used a "low flash" powder, as well as a slightly different bullet.

Jim
    "There is no problem that can not be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

Posts liked by others
    IIRC, I read somewhere that the Speer GD SB loading used a "low flash" powder
    Actually, all Speer Gold Dot loads use low flash powders. I've shot the standard 230gr load out of a Kimber Ultra carry in a poorly lighted range; no flash noticable to the shooter.