Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backstop ideas?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Tony, I think you're going to shoot right through your backstop. Let us know.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I have not recieved the airsofts yet, but i tried it out with the red ryder and seems to work fine.I will have to keep an eye on the t shirt shot about 50 bb's and i can see a where the bb's are making a mark in the shirt. I did not dare take out my air bb gun and try it. I am assuming the airsofts will have about the same fps plus they are plastic instead of steel. my targets are also made from poster board which will take alot out of that bb.

tony.
    Last edited by tony315; 14th January 2009 at 13:51.

Posts liked by others
    If a 0.2gr plastic bb has no trouble piercing both sides of an unsupported aluminium soda can, I don't think a poster board sheet will make much of an impression. Perhaps you 'd be better off replacing the t-shirt with a towel, or an old jersey.

Overall I really like your setup though!

Posts liked by others
    Hang a piece of carpet,bath towel or throw rug from the top and let the bottom rest inside a 5 gal. plastic bucket.
    99% of the BB's will wind up inside the bucket.

My piece of carpet is wider than the bucket and I just curl the end to fit inside. That way even if your targets are wider than the bucket,the BB's still roll down and the curl keeps them inside.

Posts liked by others
    The other day my wife and I went to IKEA.

I spotted and bought two nice plastic boxes, a kinda 'frosted white' color, a tad smaller than a beer bottle box. They cost less than a Euro each.

Arriving home, I borrowed a small blanket and, without unfolding it, I just placed it inside one of the boxes, I leaned it to a wall corner and placed an A4 sheet of paper in it, with an IPSC target printed on it (about 3/4 scale). I did not tape the paper sheet in place, nor did I place any kind of cardboard backing to it - I just placed the piece of paper on top of the blanket, which was a tight 'fit' in the box and therefore had plenty of nooks and crannies under the paper.

I then loaded 15 plastic BBs in one magazine of my TM Hi-Capa and fired them off as fast as I could pull the trigger, from about 5 yards. No BBs left the box.

Retrieving the pellets is as simple as laying the box on the floor and carefully lifting the blanket off, shaking off any pellets caught in its folds.

This setup has no consumables, other than the paper target. I think my search for an easy-to-move/rearrange multiple-target setup, is officially over, once I go back to the shop and get a few more of these boxes. Only problem is, my wife seems to like them for putting stuff in them...

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Grant
    Hang a piece of carpet,bath towel or throw rug from the top and let the bottom rest inside a 5 gal. plastic bucket.
    99% of the BB's will wind up inside the bucket.

My piece of carpet is wider than the bucket and I just curl the end to fit inside. That way even if your targets are wider than the bucket,the BB's still roll down and the curl keeps them inside.

Exactly what I came up with, except I use a shoebox. Put the box slightly forward of where the towel is hung so the BBs hit at a slight angle and they roll down easier.

I put strong magnets (I use the magnets from dead hard drives) behind the towel, and use them to stick binder clips in the front as target hangers.

When you are done, Fold the towel, stick it in the box, and store the lot easily.

Posts liked by others
    Well I've been using a similar setup, described above, for some time now. No problems. I also have shoe boxes, but they are slightly smaller, and unlike the plastic box, which will take the occasional hit when I neglect to cover a portion of it, the shoe box will allow the gBB to go right through.

One correction though, these boxes do not cost about 1 dollar/euro each, that was the price of the lid... they're actually priced at 3-4 bucks. Still not a lot, but if you buy 10, it adds up!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Best thing Ive found is to use whatever corregated cardboard box I have, put a pillow, or old carpet remnant inside and cover with saran wrap. I paste a target over the saran wrap and wallah! No back-splashing bb's. The saran shrinks back after penetrated, leaving a hole too small for the bb to exit and all are deposited neatly in the bottom of the box. I can put around 150rds into the saran wrap before having to change it. The pillow, or carpet, serve to dampen the bb and while it still bounces around a little inside, doesnt exit.
    Guns kill people the same way spoons make you fat.

Posts liked by others
    That sounds interesting too, the only problem with my method is that the target/box setup has to lean upwards, otherwise bbs just fall out. With your way, it sounds like I could stack two boxes one above the other, the only thing I haven't been able to do so far...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by rekladan
    That sounds interesting too, the only problem with my method is that the target/box setup has to lean upwards, otherwise bbs just fall out. With your way, it sounds like I could stack two boxes one above the other, the only thing I haven't been able to do so far...
    Tha's actually one of the points to this method. I could never find a way to get a full IDPA target over one box. Stacking them was the only way. Unfortunately, saran is not as wide as an IDPA target, so I end up stacking several. Since the bb will penetrate a first layer of cardboard, I can even use the cardboard targets in front of boxes. I dont use stands. I just set them on whatever table, workbench, spare washer/dryer, even more boxes... I have.

And yeah, no tilting required.
    Guns kill people the same way spoons make you fat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast