Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Break Down a RIA compact

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Well I got a PM from MWE1969, He had come up with a variant Compact, Long Slide and Auto Mag are trying to determine the age. He was able to disassemble using the "No Hole Guiderod" method. What was interesting is his guide rod and recoil spring system are different. Take particular Note of the Muzzel end of the guide rod. This was what he was originally questioning.

Quote Originally Posted by mwe1969
    sir,
    thank you for taking time to read my message. First of all i am new to this forum as i am to owning a handgun. ive owned several long guns but never a handgun. I bought a RIA 45 cal compact and am very pleased with it. It looks like a older gun comparred to pictures ive seen of new RIA 45 compacts. I have a couple of questions, how can you tell the manufactured date of a RIA compact? And second i really would like to know how to take the gun apart and clean it? I read the thread "Break down a RIA compact" and was very impressed with the information and pictures , however my compact looks a bit different in the guide rod area compared to the pictures in thread mentioned above. I have inserted a picture of my gun and there is an arrow pointing to my guide. Could you possibly tell me in step by step instructions in how to break my RIA down? i have also been having trouble locating a complete breakdown diagram of this gun, would you happen to know where i could find this? I know thats three questions so i better let you go, Thanks so much

mike

chris,
    well i got my 45 broke down and i was nervous for nothing. it was very simple. no flying parts at all. but i dont believe i would have attempted it without your help and the pictures. ive included several pictures of it in the broke down stage and with my small knowledge of these guns i will leave it to you the expert to put the pictures to good use for someone else that may find themselves stuck. the one thing i can add is that the guide rod acting like a stopper or rather it seemed to keep the springs from flying out. i dont know for sure but once i got the slide off i just compressed the spring foward a small amount and it slid right out. i wish my knowledge of guns were more so i could give understanable detail (calling the parts by there correct name) and such. if you have any questions or need me to send anymore pictures please let me know. thanks again for all the help

mike

There are 6,475 bolts and screws in a car, It takes 1 nut to spread them all over the road.
    Last edited by doctruptwn; 12th February 2009 at 12:13.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks .I just got my ROCK .45 compact and wasn't sure of the rite way to take it down. A buddy told my that i had to use a paper clip but i thought he was off his rocker.. ps: This is my first post here and i LOVE this site . thanks so much..

Posts liked by others
    Doctruptwn, I just picked up an RIA CS GI yesterday and was so excited about it. Then I got it home and tried to take it down. I read the manual and another site on taking it apart and had to luck. It was driving me crazy, literally. Then I followed your instructions in your post and I had it apart in no time! THANK YOU! You saved my sanity! lol

Other than that I love this RIA and can't wait to shoot it this weekend.

Posts liked by others
    No Problem Payne, Glad to Help. Welcome to the Forum Since this is your first post..
    There are 6,475 bolts and screws in a car, It takes 1 nut to spread them all over the road.

Posts liked by others

Question Trouble With Simple Disassembly

I got to the point where I'm ready to remove the 4516MS Recoil Spring Plug/4515MS Recoil Spring/4517MS Recoil Spring Guide/Paper Clip assembly from the 4505MS Slide, but the Plug is mysteriously stuck to the Slide and will not budge a fraction of an inch. I tried tapping the Guide with a plastic hammer and all it did was snap the paperclip in two. I wonder what's up. This shouldn't be rocket science. Now I see: A few minutes later . . . I did not have my 4516MS Recoil Spring Plug aligned properly and not seated firmly against the Slide and shot 100 rounds through it. Don't ever do this because it damaged the heck out of the slide. The Rim of the 4516MS Recoil Spring Plug jack-hammered the slide and damaged the heck out of it. I had to take a dremel and grind down the puckers in the slide (not pretty). If you fall into this simple mistake, you'll pay a dear price, like me. Be warned. The End horseshoe of the 4517MS Recoil Spring Guide MUST be aligned with the cut-out of the 4516MS Recoil Spring Plug and make sure the Plug is seated firmly against the Slide. Don't even think about installing it any other way. Now I'm off to Wal-Mart to get some slap-on bluing.
    Last edited by ArmorerTech; 5th July 2009 at 20:22. Reason: space

Posts liked by others
    OUCH... Glad the pics were able to help you figure out what was wrong. Sorry about the damage. Welcome to the forum.

Posts liked by others

Red face Those are fantastic pictures

Do you mind if I be nosey and ask what kind of camera and lighting you used to make such fantastic pictures of the RIA pistols? ; )

Posts liked by others
    Actually it's a cheap Kodak digital I got at Walmart. Lighting is just the flash off the cammera, and sunlight through the window.

Posts liked by others
    Guys

I didnt know the paperclip tip ,so after looking at my compact by High Standard (RIA with a different roll mark) here is what I came up with.???
    Hope it helps, I havent yet tried the paperclip.

Strong fingers I guess.

take the slide lock/take down pin totally off and then split the gun into two major groups as such.

pinch and slide the bushing back and insert thumb tack

it should look like this

and this

To reassemble, just reverse the sequence.

I must admit, the spring is under a good amount of tension, so make sure you can secure it, as you release the bushing and remove the thumb tack.
    Jes Correa
    US Army Retired
    VFW Life Member,OEFx3, OIFx2 Combat Veteran and Range Lizard[/B]
    Last edited by Jescorrea; 6th July 2009 at 19:13.

Posts liked by others
    Good Deal Jes, I'm always open to Alternative methods.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast