Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insight Procyon Tactical Light review

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Insight Procyon Tactical Light review

You may use this thread to discuss the Insight Procyon Tactical Light, reviewed in our E-zine.

Thanks
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Well done, Hawk!

I am always amazed by just how expensive flashlights have become since the old days of a Maglight. They are smaller now, do more functions than before, have longer run times and are much brighter than ever before. But are they ever expensive! I have a weapon mounted flashlight for my Sig, it was over $120 a short while ago, but it doesn't have the strobe feature. This little light looks to be a winner!
    'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.' ~Thomas Jefferson
    "We are the sheep dogs that protect the sheep and the sheep are afraid of the tools we use to fend off the wolves"..... Dave
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Nice review Hawk. You did a good job giving us the history and details of the light and it's various features.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and point out a missed opportunity though.

I think a portion of the review should have covered shooting with the light. Afterall, if you can't shoot with it then all you have is a 3-pound 1911 shaped handle for your flashlight. I would have like to see 3 areas of the shooting experience addressed:

How did the gun perform? - did the light change the balance and/or handling during shooting various drills? Did the gun become sluggish or begin to malfunction with the light attached? (Tupperware guns are famous for turning into jammatics with some lights attached).

How did the light perform? - did it give sufficient illumination in each of the modes to hit the A zone at 7 yards in low light? Could you clearly identify shoot vs. no shoot targets? Were the controls easy to reach from a firing grip?

How did the light hold up during shooting? - did the bulbs or batteries fail from the shock? Did the mounts stay secure or vibrate loose? Were there any signs of damage or loosening of parts?

Again, good overall review, but I was hoping for a little more.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    If you flip one switch up and then double-tap the other one down will you have a constant on strobe?

Doug
    KYPDACS (Keep Your Powder Dry And Check Six)

Cogito, ergo MCMXI.
    (I think, therefore 1911.)

Posts liked by others
    If anyone has a Procyon Tactical light, would you please do something for me?
    Please put the switch on one side up and the double-tap the other switch down and tell me what the light does when you do this.

Thanks,
    Doug

Cogito, ergo MCMXI.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by drollerindy
    If you flip one switch up and then double-tap the other one down will you have a constant on strobe?

Doug
    Sorry - I didn't see this the first time you asked.

No, if you push one lever UP first, and then double tap the other ... you have a constant beam, not a strobe. To get a constant strobe, you have to do it as described in the review ... first double tap either lever DOWN, then while holding it down on the second tap, push UP the lever on the opposite side. The strobe then stays on until you push DOWN on the off-side lever, returning it to the neutral position.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon,
    Thanks for the reply. I was going to get one, but I just can't see myself trying to hold one switch down while pushing the other up while on the way to investigate a "bump in the night."

Doug

Cogito, ergo MCMXI.

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon,
    Thanks for the reply. I was going to get one, but I just can't see myself trying to hold one switch down while pushing the other up while on the way to investigate a "bump in the night."

Doug
    You probably wouldn't use the constant strobe for investigating. It's disorienting for you, too. Just flip either switch up for constant on.

The strobe is for when you have a subject in a known location and you want to use the rapid flashing to disorient him. The double tap + flip the switch up really isn't that big a deal. And you don't have to hold both switches for constant strobe. You hold the left switch down after the second tap of the double, but then when you flip the opposite switch up you can let go and it stays on strobe mode until you manualy push the right switch back to the OFF position.
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 3rd December 2008 at 14:17.

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon,
    Thanks for the reply. I'll give it another thought. I'm thinking about holding my defensive position at the top of the stairs with the strobe blasting down the stairway toward anyone looking up the stairs or thinking about coming upstairs. I think that might be intimidating enough to convince them to leave.

Doug

Cogito, ergo MCMXI.

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon,
    Thanks for the reply. I'll give it another thought. I'm thinking about holding my defensive position at the top of the stairs with the strobe blasting down the stairway toward anyone looking up the stairs or thinking about coming upstairs. I think that might be intimidating enough to convince them to leave.

Doug
    That's why they made the "constant strobe" function available. Once it's in that mode you don't need to hold either switch lever.

I'm right-handed. Reverse this if you're a lefty:

Thumb or index finger of left (support) hand double taps the lever on the left side down. Hold it down on the second tap. Light is in momentary strobe mode. Trigger finger (which should not be on the trigger, since you don't yet have a target) flips the right side lever up. Light is now in constant strobe mode. Release both levers, hold gun in "prepare to fire" grip and proceed (with caution).

When you no longer need the strobe, flip the right side lever back to the OFF position to cancel the strobe.
    Hawkmoon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast