Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Modded TM M1911A1 won't cycle

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Modded TM M1911A1 won't cycle

Hi all - geez, it's been a while since I've posted, but here's what's gotten to me this time:

I've got a heavily modified TM M1911A that won't cycle properly. Mods include a Nova frame, an Airsoft Surgeon slide and upgraded spring, Nova housing (contains the hammer spring), Nova grip safety, Nova trigger, and magazine release.

After I rack the slide the first time, it fires but doesn't fully return to the closed position. The hammer also is left only about 1/4 of the way towards being fully cocked. I can use the pistol by racking the slide manually for each round. The slide also does not stay in the "open" position after the last round has been fired.

I've got another TM M1911A1 with a metal slide. If I "trade" slides, the pistol works well, and the slide is left "open" after the last round has been fired.

Any guidance about what I should be looking at to fix this will be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I just noticed this thread, so I am sorry I am late.

From your description, it appears that the slide is not travelling all the way back. Do you find a BB in the chamber, after the pistol jams or is the chamber empty?
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Last edited by John; 19th December 2008 at 06:26.

Posts liked by others

Cycling

Hey John - thanks for getting back to me. No woorries about the time-frame! :-)

I should have followed up here myself because I did solve the problem and maybe someone else could benefit.

What ended up being the problem was that there's a "block" (for lack of a better word) that the hex-nut holding the blowback housing in place goes through. This is the nut that holds the blowback housing in place on the inside of the slide. Well, the "block" the nut goes through ends up being too thick in some applications for the hammer to fall properly. Due to that, the striker doesn't release enough gas to properly cycle the gun. The fix was to file down the "block" significantly. Redwolf Airsoft has a news item that describes it, and that was what it took for me. It's working (and looking) great now!

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Those strange things with the TM pistols, make the job of an airsoft gunsmith interesting. In my first attempt to build a metal 1911A1, the screw holding the assembly in the frame was a bit too tight. Just tight, nothing extreme. The gun didn't work, I had to loosen it to the point of "it just stopped" for the gun to work.

Different specs in airsoft gunsmithing than the real word, where "tight" is good.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org