Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Range bags shoot out

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Range bags shoot out

Please use this thread to discuss our range bags shoot out review, as published in our E-zine.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Very good review Hawk , once again you've given us a review that's up to the Sites high standards , I've enjoyed reading it . Thank you for giving the members the reviews that they have requested and for all the time and effort the reviewers put into bringing them to us , you're much appreciated .
    Focus on the positive while dealing positively with the negative.
    Hawkmoon - 19th August 2008

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon's conclusions at the end of the "Range Bags Shoot-Out" review in the M1911.ORG E-zine reflect my opinions exactly!

Hunter and I reviewed some range bags recently, and that duel review sparked a lot of the controversy of which Hawkmoon spoke. While price is always a consideration, quality of the construction of any product must enter into the evaluation. Longevity of the product is something (as Hawkmoon points out) that only the consumer can report about.

For several years I lived in the urban sprawl of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. My shooting was done at an indoor range, and I had to pack everything I needed into a rather small (and expensive) range bag. However, the bag was strong, and I detected no degradation of its components in the ten-odd years I used it.

Since returning to my rural roots in 2001, I no longer need a range bag to do my shooting. I try to travel as much as time and gas prices allow, though, and I've alternately used a top-of-the-line Competitive Edge Dynamics hard shell range bag, as well as one of the Rock Island Armory range bags, to tote my guns and ammo around the state of Texas. Both have served me well, although the more costly CED bag is preferred for the lockable features it possesses.

I concur with Hawkmoon's assessment that if one is involved in weekly competition, or extensive use of a range bag (loaded to the "gills"), the best range bag you can afford is a slight investment compared to the guns and ammo it will contain over the years. Bags which only see limited occasional use will not be subjected to the things that wear out a range bag, therefore a bag like the MidwayUSA bag should suffice.

In other words, you normally get what you pay for, and YOU must be the judge about whether a range bag which costs more than a similar company's bag is worth the added expense.

Thanks Hawkmoon, for a very informative review!
    Steve

Posts liked by others
    I forgot to mention that I still feel that Chuck Bradley's Shooters' Connection Tournament Series range bag is the best bag out there but of course I now own one .
    Focus on the positive while dealing positively with the negative.
    Hawkmoon - 19th August 2008

Posts liked by others
    I've had one of the Midway bags for awhile now, and it has stood up well. It may not outlast the Shooter's Connection bag, but then again about 3 1/2 Midway bags can be purchased for the price of one of the sturdier bags. My bag routinely has about 50 pounds of ammo and guns in it, and I actually wish it was smaller so I wouldn't cram so much stuff in it. The Midway bag is made in China -- where is the more expensive one made?
    Tony, NRA Benefactor, Ret. USAF
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    I have the midway bag. The two pistol cases are standard. Mine stays loaded up with two 1911s, mags, 1,000 rounds of .45 ammo, cleaning gear, tools, hearing, eye protection, belts, holsters, mag pouches, etc. It goes in and out of my truck daily and I have taken it to three schools. The bag has held up well and works great. I think that it is as good as most bags out there. They are inexspensive enough that you can get three or four of them and keep them loaded up with different guns and equipment. I don't believe in going cheap. I only bought this bag because Dogdollar had one that was holding up so well. The bags work and they work well. I consider the Midway bag to be the best deal going in range bags. I just wished they offered them in different colors so that I could tell at a glance if it was my 45 bag or my 9mm bag, or my 38 Super bag, etc.

ranburr
    Last edited by ranburr; 2nd November 2008 at 12:35.

Posts liked by others
    I have one of the Midway bags, and the two pistol cases are included.

For my use, this bag works very well. I hit the range monthly to stay familiar with my weapons, and to shoot/rotate my personal defense ammunition. I carry 300-rounds of ammo, a Kimber, a Kahr, and spare magazines for both. It has enough room for targets, cleaning kit/tools, hearing protection, eye protection, and everything I've needed so far.

If I needed a bag for daily use, I would get something heavier......

Walker

Posts liked by others
    I also have the Midway bag, taken it to the range a few times with 2 guns and about 300 rds of ammo, nothing special.

I recently moved (well, in August) and I packed all of my ammo ( 700Rds of .45, 300rds of .223, about 1000 rds of .22, 12 5rd boxes of 12ga. 00 Buck, 5 boxes of 12ga. Slugs, 1 box/20 12ga. misc bird shot), a 1911, an HK USP 45F, a rifle scope, 6 1911 mags, 8 USP mags, 3 mini-14 mags, and the synthetic buttstock from my Mossberg 500, put it in the bed of my truck where it seemed to have rolled a few times while moving stuff from my old apt to my new apt. No damage to the bag, and no damage to anything in it.

Posts liked by others
    Good write up.
    I have a Midway bag, got it for $30 + shipping awhile back. It also came with the two gun pouches.
    This being the first range bag I've had and not having looked at any others all I can say is that it appear to fill my needs for the moment. I keep certain range items in it for ease of packing for a shooting trip. I do wish it had been available in some other color.
    I use mine more to transport revolvers & guns with optics mounted as I have a Hardigg Storm Case for the regular 1911's.
    Excellent report!!!
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus
    Last edited by Joni Lynn; 2nd November 2008 at 17:08.

Posts liked by others
    Nice work Hawk, a great evaluation of two products that are similar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast