Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt problem with reloads

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Colt problem

I have a new Colt SS NRM. It is right on the money for accuracy. My problem is that it does not want to digest reloads. I keeps getting jammed in the breach. I have to tap the slide shut. The same reloads work fine in other guns. Has anyone ever had this problem?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by jim young
    I have a new Colt SS NRM. It is right on the money for accuracy. My problem is that it does not want to digest reloads. I keeps getting jammed in the breach. I have to tap the slide shut. The same reloads work fine in other guns. Has anyone ever had this problem?
    What's an "NRM"?

Sounds like the Colt's chamber is closer to minimum than some of your others, either in the headspace/leade or the chamber diameter.

Regards,

Walt

Posts liked by others
    Is there any chance the extractor is too tight?
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    Will the rounds drop freely and completely into the chamber?
    "A grip safety is just another excess moving part. I have never known one to prevent an accident, and moreover, it is difficult to postulate a circumstance in which it might." Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    What's an "NRM"?
    New Roll Mark..........
    I prefer Colts...Semper Fi

Posts liked by others
    I will dissassemble it today and do some testing with rounds. I have only done it before with the gun togeather. I will check to see if it is the chamber or something else. They way it acts I do not think it is the extractor. The extractor would not discriminate against only reloads. I think at least.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by jim young
    . . .it does not want to digest reloads. I keeps getting jammed in the breach. I have to tap the slide shut. The same reloads work fine in other guns.
    Exactly what do you mean by "jammed in the breach"?

Specifically, where is the case head (rim) located on the breech face in relation to the extractor when the jam occurs?

Posts liked by others
    I have not had a chance to look at it today, but it seems that it is to close with the inside of the breach and case.

Posts liked by others
    I just got out my ruger and tried the reloads in it. It is doing the same thing. I think that the die self adjusted so it crimped the edge to hard. It goes into the ruger a bit easier but not with out a little help. I think I will shoot them up this weekend and try reloading them.

WILDCATT Guest

jams

take gun apart, try cartridge in barrel,see what happens.a lot of times the flare is not taken out or the crimp is to heavy and bulges the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast