Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: TM 1911a1 Guarder metal frame kit

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

TM 1911a1 Guarder metal frame kit

just got myself a Guarder metal frame kit, never done anything like this before and was wondering if anyone could walk me through step by step fitting it to my tm 1911, or perhaps direct me to a thread or website that shows it. thanks

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Darn, I haven't seen this thread, sorry.

Have you completed your transplant or do you still need assistance?
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    have'nt done it yet john, any advice would be gratefully received

Posts liked by others
    John:
    ...as I'm planning to perform the same with a BELL EG720, I will be also very interested to hear your advice !

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Guys, I am not sure I any longer remember details. From what I remember, changing the frame and slide isn't that difficult. One thing you might have to look out for, is that in the new slide, there might be a metallic part, which secures the blow-back unit in place. It is a thin, about 1.5" long metallic piece with a hole in it. If I remember right, it comes with a tiny, but long screw, which secures it in place after the blow-back unit is in place. Unfortunately, in some slides that piece can not be installed. In others, the screw that keeps it in place is too long and won't go all the way in. You can safely leave that part out (if memory serves me right), the rails of the frame will play its role, when the pistol is assembled.

For the frame, if you do not plan to take apart the subassembly, things should go smoothly. Just unscrew the two screws that keep it in place, one inside the frame in the trigger area, and one on the left side of the frame, under the slide stop, then pop the subassembly out and transplant it to the other pistol. One thing you have to be careful is that you do not overtighten the screw on the outside. It may prevent the gun from functioning properly.

I can't remember more, sorry.

Right now, I am working on a couple of Western Arms pistols, so my mind is kind of confused.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    John,

Thanks a lot for prompt response !
    Your advice was more than helpful...! Imagine if we would try to overtighten this outside screw... after the threads are worn out or the frame is warped... it will be too late... good to know about this before !

Good Luck with your WA improvements !

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Ah so far I am stuck. The courier who was supposed to bring me those pistols messed up while checking the parcels, so I ended up receiving only two of the three pistols I wanted, and one I didn't care for. Instead of my Colt Series 80 DX shown below, I received a Tokyo Marui MEU (I already have a full-metal WA MEU, actually I have two, an early model and a late model).

This, I plan to leave it well alone, it looks so nice with its shiny painted frame and slide, and the vivid wooden grips with the medallions.

Here are the other two that came to me:

This is a Western Arms Colt Series 80 CQB.

and this is a Western Arms Colt Delta Elite.

The last one is going to be used as a spare parts gun, the grips will be installed on my TM full-metal Delta Elite shown here:

while the tall, high profile sight from the WA Delta Elite will be used to replace the Wilson sight on the S80 CQB shown above.

The rest of its parts together with some spares I have will probably installed on a Prime frame/slide kit I have to create a WWII 1911A1, but that remains to be decided, the color of that frame is nowhere near being the parkerized frame of the pistols of that era.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Oh yeah, I forgot, when I fired the first shot with the CQB, its barrel busted in two pieces, the chamber broke. I am now waiting for a new chamber and outer barrel, to fix it. Thank God, Mike of Elite Shooting Center in UK, had spare parts which are already on their way to Greece. Thanks Mike.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    OK folks, I had to re-work on the Delta Elite TM project so I refreshed my .... memory of what you have to keep an eye open for.

1. One thing you should definitely be very careful about: when you try to remove the TM subassembly from the pistol be extra-very-highly careful of the little spring that is below the firing pin or valve knocker as Marui calls it. If you look at your frame, after you remove the slide, you will see two silver protrusion at the rear (to the left and to the right of where the disconnector hole is, on a real 1911 pistol). The right one, is the disconnector. The left one is the firing pin or valve knocker. When you remove the subassembly (remove tha hammer pin, sear pin, unscrew the hex head screw under the slide stop and the cross screw at the front of the trigger guard from the inside) this little spring has the tendency to fly away. It's a tiny spring, light weight and if it flies away your blow back system won't work. I have tried to replace it with other springs (or parts of them) but you can never get it right. And this spring controls how strong the blow back action of the pistol is, the lighter the spring the stronger the blow back action. So please, for your own peace of mind, don't loose that spring.
    2. When reistalling the subassembly, be ready to play a little with the hex screw under the slide stop. I have found that if you tighten it up a lot, then the slide stop doesn't work correctly.
    3. Do not bend the sear spring. contrary to the real 1911s, I think the sear spring should not put any tension to the sear, when the hammer is uncocked. If you bend it, get a new sear spring and use the new one. While at the sear spring, be careful when you trim it according to the instructions, at that tab at its lower rear side. If you trim it a lot, the sear spring can move inside the frame and its prongs will not engage the disconnector properly. File a little at a time and test again and again.
    4. Lube the pistol well, I used some Gun Butter where metal rubs to metal, and the traditional silicone lube in the blow back unit and the magazine.
    I guess that's it. Have fun, I'll post some pictures of my finalized TM Delta Elite later today.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC