Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat 30th Anniversary 1911 review in our E-zine

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Wilson Combat 30th Anniversary 1911 review in our E-zine

Please use this thread to discuss the Wilson 30th Anniversary pistol we just reviewed in our E-zine
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Great review! I reckon ole Bill still knows a thing or three about building a 1911. I like that even though it's "pretty", it works right out of the box.

Couple of questions.

You stated in the article that the magazines were #47D. But the tube and the base plate look like the new ETMs?

If you let Carole keep the Wilson do you think she'll give you your Springer back?
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)
    Last edited by garrettwc; 15th August 2008 at 09:14.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettwc
    If you let Carole keep the Wilson do you think she'll give you your Springer back?
    Absolutely not!

Seriously, the gun is a wonderful piece of craftsmanship and it is really a pleasure to shoot - except for that front strap checkering. It really hurt my hands. After just 3 or 4 magazines worth of ammo my fingers were actually reddened and sore from the checkering. To the point that it would deter me from purchasing the gun. Though, I admit that is a highly personal preference and not something that detracts from the quality of the gun in any way.
    Carole

The poster formerly known as MrsKey and always known as exceedingly patient and long suffering for being married to Tom.

Posts liked by others
    My new custom Wilson has a full-length guide rod and doesn't use the paper clip for disassembly. The documentation that came with it had field stripping instructions for all of their models, not just the one mine was loosely based on. It took me a while to figure out which directions I needed to follow.

Posts liked by others
    A well done review!
    'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.' ~Thomas Jefferson
    "We are the sheep dogs that protect the sheep and the sheep are afraid of the tools we use to fend off the wolves"..... Dave
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Tom,

My exposure to Wilson Combat pistols pre-dates my review of the Wilson Compact Sentinel in the M1911.ORG E-zine. While I was always impressed with the quality, reliability, and excellent appearance of the Wilson line of pistols, I had never talked to anyone associated with the Wilson brand, prior to testing the Sentinel.

My exposure to the fine people at Wilson left a lasting impression. Customer satisfaction is alive and well at Wilson Combat, and I'm proud to know those folks who assisted me with the review.

Yours is an excellent review, with fine photographs of an exceptional pistol.

Thank you!
    Steve

Posts liked by others
    Outstanding review of an outstanding pistol . Wilson Combat is a name known to all , it's very hard to believe they've been customizing 1911's for a mere 30 years . Thanks again Tom .
    Focus on the positive while dealing positively with the negative.
    Hawkmoon - 19th August 2008

Posts liked by others
    Garret, yes, you are correct. The magazines shipped with the WCTA are the new ETMs. I just confirmed that with my contact at Wilson. So my first M1911.ORG eZine article has its first error. John, any way or amending the article?

And thank you all for your positive comments. As I just stated, this was my first review, and I will admit, I was very nervous about it. Okay, not as nervous as when I received the "bill" from Wilson! But fairly close.

And again, The WCTA was a nice gun to hold and shoot. Being a Springfield owner, I never had the chance to shot a high-end, custom pistol before. This was an awesome opportunity to do so, and thanks, John, for giving it to me.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    not as nervous as when I received the "bill" from Wilson!
    This is something i always wondered about people who write for magazines and such. How much do they charge so you can test it and do a write up. is it differant if your a well know mag like Combat Hanguns or a forum writer, etc.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilburt
    This is something i always wondered about people who write for magazines and such. How much do they charge so you can test it and do a write up. is it differant if your a well know mag like Combat Hanguns or a forum writer, etc.
    Wilburt,

Gun manufacturers do not charge either the M1911.ORG E-zine or the print publications (American Handgunner, Guns and Ammo, Shooting Times, etc.) for testing and evaluation of their pistols. However, in most cases there are expenses incurred by the gun writers.

First and foremost, all applicable federal, state, and local laws concerning guns are strictly adhered to. In my case, that means delivery of the firearm to the FFL dealer of my choice, and a transfer fee paid in order to take the pistol into my possession for the test.

The M1911.ORG E-zine occasionally receives donated ammunition from various companies, and when such ammo is used in a test, it is duly noted in the review. Should a variety of ammunition be required for a pistol test, the individual writer is responsible for those costs. This also holds true for the professional writers working for the print gun magazines, but any ammo purchased by the individual writer is accounted for in his expenses to the magazine.

After a gun test is published, I return the pistol to the manufacturer through my FFL. Normally I have to pay return shipping, but on rare occasions this expense is paid by the manufacturer.

Remember that practically every review done on a newly available pistol will be done in the M1911.ORG E-zine first, effectively "scooping" all the print publications. We don't have publishers to deal with, so our reviews appear months before most print reviews. While the gun writers for the Model 1911 Pistols Organization are not monetarily compensated for our work, we take great pride in being able to bring you timely, informative reviews of the latest pistols and products.
    Steve

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast