Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airsoft for inhouse practice anyone?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Icon18

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Comments:

1. I do my accuracy testing at 10 m. Read our reviews. 2-3" at 10 m is not unacceptable accuracy, as far as I am concerned. It won't punch holes in the target? What targets are you using? Real IPSC ones? I use plain typing paper pages, on which I print various targets. At 10 m the bbs will definitely punch the paper, they'll do so even further away. As for point aiming up close and carefully aiming for far targets, I assure you it is exactly the same with the airsofts.

2. accuracy. Read the above, 3" at 10 m is what I get. Admitedly from a braced position, but still I can punch an A4 page after a quick draw, they may not be all in 3" but they'll all be on the paper. Canting the pistol? Why? I never cant the pistol, either airsoft or real. Wind? Of course and it will deflect the bbs, so practice indoors (without a fan blowing). As for the bbs bouncing around, I am not sure I understand the logic. The same can happen in a live range, that's why you do not allow people move around in a live range. When you practice indoors, just make sure you are the only one in the room. And use a back stop much larger than your targets. If you can't hit an A4 page at 10 m with an airsoft, you will never be able to hit an IPSC target at 25 m. When I practice airsoft, I just use shorter distances. The technics are still the same.

3. Well, some of the better airsoft models weight pretty close to the real thing. And since the controls are all at the same place, the training is the same. When you holster a 1911, the safety should always be engaged, if it is engaged the slide won't move back. And some folks will also tell you, that when holstering any pistol, your thumb should be at the rear of the slide, too.

I agree with you that you shouldn't practice only with the airsofts, but for me, these pistols allow me to do much more training that I could do with only the real guns.

Oh and yes you can drop a magazine with airsofts. Just place a piece of foam at the area you expect to do the reload. There are airsoft IPSC matches held in some countries, do you think they do not do quick mag changes there?
    1. as i dont consider airsoft practice, rather just informal plinking, its usually old boxes i shoot at. as for a4, i would put a hole on a box and tape the a4 over that. works ok unless you hit the box instead of the a4.

for point of aim and long shot, as ive said, -the nature of airsoft pistols is, you dont hit what you aim for at long distances, making aiming a moot point. but i guess we wont be able to agree on this point as your experience is otherwise. my experience is an average of 5-6" spread at 10 meters. a 3" hit away from your point of aim for me is not accurate.

2. some tactical shooting style cants the pistol. (ie CAR). shooting around oposite gun hand corners also makes the gun cant naturally. an active airsoft player automatically compensate for this. carry autocompensation over to the real one and youll be missing a first and maybe your only shot.

Safety is really an issue. i fully agree that you need practice alone in the room. otherwise have everybody wear eye protection and stand well behind you.

as for backstop, thats precisely my first post. use something way bigger than your target.

for the A4 analogy, i beg to disagree. if my spread is 6" at 10meters then i can be aiming 2" outside of the A4 paper and my Hit can still be 1" inside from the edge. if your doing it wrong and you still manage to hit the paper, its going to reinforce your mistake. and you can be on target but the BB misses, which will be frustrating. its not a good practice of you ask me. even your 3" spread can be 1" 'off' the paper and it will still be 1/2 inch from the border at 10 meters. or 1" in and miss. luck should never be a replacement for accuracy.

3. thumb on the slide i believe is a preference, like for me, i feel unsafe not to wrap thumb on the grip on holstering. and we dont always c*ck a 1911 for the safety to be activated.

granted they are nearly identical, because they intend to replicate.
    for handling you can substitue one for the other up to a certain point.
    - try this. gas up and load a single bb. load and make ready, dont fire, but remove the mag and make safe(remove mag rack slide a few times and dry fire). return empty mag, rack slide and press slide release. aim at your target and shoot. nice hole eh? a live firearm will empty the chamber if you do this, unless you have a broken extractor. an airsoft will retain the bb. ive seen a lot of discharges from airsoft from this phenomenon, :-)

for informal shooting again up to a certain point.(which my view is less than 10 meters). airsoft can be double or even triple fed and it will still work without a trip to the smiths.

to be a replacement training tool to be good at your firearm, well thats where i almost fully disagree. Yes there are Airsoft-IPSC matches, but thats precisely what they are, -airsoft matches. you practice for that, and thats where your going to be good at- (dropping your mags at boxes filled with foam? :-) -sorry a bit of sarcasm here). i have not even insisted on the big difference in recoil, which you need to learn good recovery.

Anyways, this discussion is like religion. whatever you believe in, if it helps you, and makes you and those around you safe and happy, then by all means go on. I'll even give you a push... after all, thats what matters most.

Cheers!

Posts liked by others
    Again, I feel the need to intervene here:

In point number 3, you raise a real issue, although cycling the action in both my airsoft pistols with a gBB in place will cause the BB to dribble out of the barrel. Nevertheless, it is a possibility, but it's a concern mostly to those who use these things in skirmishing matches...

In every other instance, frankly, all this is academic.

Let me offer an example: one exercise I do for formal IPSC competition, is split to change targets, aim and shoot, i.e. set up two IPSC targets 60 degrees apart, aim at one target and on a start signal switch targets, aim and fire.

Of course, we do this at the range every Sunday (when we have a mag to spare each). But frankly, it is a bit of a waste of ammo, after a while. This is exactly the kind of exercise that airsoft is GREAT for. Yes, the fact that there is no expected recoil is important. Also, tuning a PACT chrono to react to airsoft hits can be a bit tricky...

(Anyone with experience it this last point?)

As for accuracy, I think we need to clarify something - we are usually talking about gas-powered blowbacks, not other things like springer pistols, which are usually less powerful and (usually much) less accurate. 3 inches at 10 yards is not too much to ask for decent quality airsoft, from a supported position. For IPSC practice, I rarely shoot further than 5 yards indoors, which makes hitting an A4 size target while on the move a realisting prospect.

The times and target scores I achieve are not comparable to real results with proper guns. Does this mean the practice is not proper 'practice'?

If I thought so, I wouldn't be doing it!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others

Correction

Quote Originally Posted by rekladan
    ...tuning a PACT chrono to react to airsoft hits...
    I don't know what I was thinking... of course I meant a shot timer.

Seriously, any ideas on how to make one of these work with airsoft? I've heard of people sticking a conical piece of paper to enhance the microphone, but I'm not sure... a bit of paper seems hardly enough to bring the noise levels to firearm standards..!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12