Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MD Custom Machine (or Matt Davis) custom 1911 discussion thread

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

MD Custom Machine (or Matt Davis) custom 1911 discussion thread

Please use this thread to discuss our review of the Matt Davis (or MD Custom Machine) 1911 pistol, as it appears in our E-zine.

Thanks.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Last edited by John; 29th May 2008 at 04:18.

Posts liked by others
    Very nice job on the review Steve. The pictures are excellent and overall you were very detailed.

Posts liked by others
    Now that was a very well thought out pistol, and I like that design. Only two things I wouldn't want would be the extended thumb safety, and the squared trigger guard. Not sure why, but something about that square trigger guard is not aesthetically pleasing to me. I could deal with the extended thumb safety though.

I do like that bevel on the slide, the flat serrated slide, and I especially like that magwell because it doesn't add to the length of the gun unlike other magwells.

Posts liked by others
    Great review Steve! Well, except for you and that darn 14# recoil spring. j/k btw

Couple questions, at an average of 879 FPS it looks like you used the Federal HST 230gr. standard load, not the +P version. Am I correct on this?

Been doing a little testing with this ammo myself and so far i've found it's great stuff.

Second, I never knew Heinie had there own barrels. Are they making these in house or are these made for Heinie by a different manufacturer? If different, any idea who?

Thanks!

Posts liked by others
    Great review, Steve. I like the pistol very much except for that square trigger guard. I have just never warmed up to those. It is a very smooth looking pistol and from what happened in your test, a very reliable one.
    'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.' ~Thomas Jefferson
    "We are the sheep dogs that protect the sheep and the sheep are afraid of the tools we use to fend off the wolves"..... Dave
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    I like it. Most of the Internet Showpiece guns are overdone to my taste, but this one is about right. I would not pay for serrations on non-grasping surfaces and would not bevel the slide so much, but those are small matters.

I like the Heinie square trigger guard. I have a gun that will be going to the shop shortly and it is in line for the Heinie mag well and sight. Wonder if the guy here can square a trigger guard. Hmmm. Have to have a holster made for it, though.

Posts liked by others
    I tried to use ammo that is available to most folks out there. As the +P stuff, from what I'm told by ATK, is not supposed to be available to the public.

I issue HST to my dept. for duty use.

I don't know who makes their barrels, but have invited Matt to join in on the forum. Hopefully he'll come along soon and be able to answer that and other questions.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    Thank again for the great review Steve!

The barrel was made for Heinie by Storm Lake Machine. Currently, Heinie is not having anyone make his barrels for him. I have been using Bar-Sto, Kart, and Nowlin for my barrels and the choice is usually made per lead times and availability.

The trigger guard on this pistol was squared mainly to test a new fixture...some people really like the nostalgia that comes with the squared trigger guard so I do offer it as an option to my customers.

Posts liked by others
    Matt,
    I really like the work on the mag well, it looks GREAT!! I hadnt seen this done before, With the removal of the material from the frame and the addition of the mag well is the frame now the same height as a stock unit would be?

Mike

Posts liked by others
    I own HSP004-MD001 which is the stainless pistol on Matt's website. It is the most consistant pistol I've ever owned. It shoots just about all loads equally well (that I've tried so far). Under 2" at 25 yards. Also, I measured the trigger pull on a digital pull gauge. The ten measurements were 3.9,3.9,3.9,3.6,3.9,3.7,3.9,3.6,3.9 and 3.9. It is a beautifully put together gun and a joy to handle and shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast