Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Brief comparison of .22 LR conversion kits

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I'm looking at the variety of Colt 22 conversion on www.gunsamerica.com

Some have slanted slide serrations, some straight.

Some talk of floating chamber, some do not.

Many are pictured with a recoil spring plug and OTHERs are pictured without the plug...
    The ones pictured without the plug SHOW a slide stop.
    These features seem to be mutually exclusive...?

Some are advertised as ACE and others do not specity.

Prices are running from $300 - $700

My wife has hinted for one of these for her soon-to-occur B-Day and I haven't a clue what to choose... (though $700 is too much, there's a lot available for <$500).

Can someone advise...?!

Thanks, Cars
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
    It only takes a second to dial 911; it could take the rest of your life for help to arrive...
    Posts are my opinion based on my experience; YMMV.

Posts liked by others
    warmrain,

you dont say what you want to do with this conversion kit.

The ACE conversion kits are nice. at least the pistol i have (Series 80). I have the ciners, pachmyrs and Jarvis, but use my ACE more.

if you want more the 10 rounds, then youre stuck with Ciners. I havent seen any +10 rounds for the Kimbers, yet. If you want to use ACE mags, then the jarvis, ACE or Marvels(?) and maybe some others i cant think of now.

advantage arms now has 2 1911 kits. one like the ace and one like the S&W 41 style. dont have any expereince with their 1911, but if they are anything like their Glock kits, then they should be fine.

Be careful on what type of frame you have since some people with customized (enhanced) may have issues
    It is the very difficult horses that have the most to give you.

-Lendon Gray

Posts liked by others
    bangbang,

You're right, I should have given more information...

My wife has a nice GCNM (bechind the camera icon in my posts) that she very much loves to shoot. Even though it is set-up for light target loads and the loads I produce for her are very light, she tires quickly due to her small frame (esp. forearms and wrists, of which there has been reconstructive surgery). She desires to shoot more. Moreover she desires to shoot 1911s more and wants a conversion kit rather than something like a S&W 41 (which I've recenty discovered - sweet...).

The 1911 is also her choice for a home defense pistol and so she would desire that the conversion kit emulate the fit and function of a 1911, she desires it to look like a 1911 as well... everything to make it as close as possible to real.

She can shoot well and she can shoot even her S&W airlite snubbie with proper self defense ammo enough rounds to defend herself. What she'd like to do is go to the range with me and be able to shoot more than a couple magazines full.

The kit will be used on the GCNM which in some collections would be a safe queen. So would a nice Ace conversion... As nice as some of the firearms that we have. They are at least occ. used. And, in the case of the GCNM more than a little...

I hope this helps and thanks for the feedback!

More than 10 rounds in a magazine is not an issue.

I haven't seen magazines for the Ace kits separate from the entire kit... It sounds like I can ues Marvel and maybe others if I can't find them...?
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
    It only takes a second to dial 911; it could take the rest of your life for help to arrive...

Posts liked by others
    warmrain,

here is a pic of my 80 ACE. the conversion directly on top is the Jarvis, one on vary top is the Ciners.

I dont have a Kimber (yet) but will be getting one soon depending on how well or not well my other possible acquisions work out.

the mags for the ACE are sort of expensive now. i think they are around 40+ dollars. there is someone on here trying to do a bulk/group buy.

The Jarvis has a steel slide, but its top is similar to a beretta 92 in design, with the exposed barrel. The Ciner is aluminum and closer to the Colt but lighter.

Ace kits are out there but will have to look. some have the floating chamber and recoil feels bigger then a 22. The thing i dont like about the floating chamber is mne gets lead fouling. however, some on here have used a teflon based lube to minimze the lead sticking.

i think if you want looks/feel like a real colt, then you will want to go with the colt. you may want to make sure its an older ACE kit too since some of the newer ones were alum. I believe they were made by Ciner.
    It is the very difficult horses that have the most to give you.

-Lendon Gray

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for this valuable insight...
    (and the photos)

Posts liked by others
    bangbang,

I am told with the Ace conversion kit that I bought today that the pistol's original barrel bushing must be used. Since this is a Gold Cup National Match (and I understand the barrel diameter of a NM barrel is different from a GM) I suspect that I need to order another barrel bushing to use with this kit?

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I can't find the Jarvis kit in their web site. Am I missing something or is it discontinued?
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    John:

I found this link for Jarvis .22lr conversion kits:
    www.onlythebestfirearms.com/accessories.html

the kit is listed about half way down the page for $499.95 - this one is threaded for a suppressor, for whatever that's worth? It's listed as using standard colt ace mags.

Here's a link to the EAA .22lr conversion kit:
    http://www.eaacorp.com/parts-hand-gu...sion-kits.html
    Last edited by marauder; 5th July 2006 at 08:17. Reason: another link

Posts liked by others
    marauder,

Have you any idea how hard it is, or where to find ACE mags?

Posts liked by others
    Warmrain:

Very hard to find, and unfortunately no idea where to find extras, other than what anyone does to locate hard to find stuff which is a major pain.

Two things here:
    the price for the kit on the above link is pretty salty compared to what's quoted in this thread;
    and if one doesn't have ACE mags already you would be limited to the 2 with the kit.

My original post was a FYI for those interested and your question to mag availability is a good caveat.

Thanks.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast