Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brief comparison of .22 LR conversion kits

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Brief comparison of .22 LR conversion kits

There are several .22 LR conversion kits out there. A brief comparison follows:

CIENER: ~250 USD.nice units, 10+ rounds now. but no last shot hold-open.
    KIMBER: Similar to Ciner and i think that Ciner makes them for Kimber or at least they use to.
    OLDER COLT ACE W/FLOATING CHAMBER: ~300+ USD. they lead up and need cleaning, but it has more recoil then other conversion. also has last shot hold-open.
    MARVEL:. accurate. no last shot hold-open, but i think they may have a different unit that will.
    JARVIS: ~ 250 USD. similar to Ace conversion but no floating chamber. Also uses ACE mags and has last shot hold-open.
    ADVANTAGE ARMS: 250$ - 290$ depending on model, last shot hold-open, adjustable sights.
    It is the very difficult horses that have the most to give you.

-Lendon Gray

Posts liked by others
    The newer Kimber units are Kimber made. If it has a tiny rod like a FLGR, it's a Ciener, if it uses a bushing it's a Kimber. I have heard the Marvel is amazingly accurate, but have no experience with it. I sold my Kimber/ciener unit a month or so ago. (just didn't use it)
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    i posted this with the original post, but dont take this list and info as gospel. I belive at one time Marves units did have the last shot hold open, but apparently its not on their units now.

Pachmary (imported?) Peter Stahl convsions. they use the ACE mags and have the last shot hold open. (Also, the units can not be dry fired!)

About the Kimber units. Im sure they are great units, but i feel with the "kimber" name, i dont know if its worth more $$$$ then the Ciners. I havent priced the kimbers, but if i had the extra $$$ floating around, i would be tempted in geting one. i just want the prospective buyers to know that you could probably get the same results by buying the Ciners.
    It is the very difficult horses that have the most to give you.

-Lendon Gray

Posts liked by others
    Might add that the Ciener for $250~ is with adjustable sights if you take fixed sights it is only $199~ making it even a better bargin. If interested in Ciener check out his website at http://www.22lrconversions.com/ .
    Freedom comes from the desires of men and is ensured by the 2nd Amendment

Posts liked by others
    At one time or another I have used all four units. Here's my 2 cents worth:
    Ciener/Kimber is a plinker.
    Marvel is superbly accurate and will feed SV ammo flawlessly. Only disadvantage is slide being aluminum will not stay open after firing last round.n Uses modified Colt Ace mags.
    Colt unit is supebly made but a plinker in terms of accuracy and a pain to keep the floating chamber clean.
    Jarvis unit - recently purchased - only uses HV ammo, steel slide stays open after last round, quite accurate with fixed sights - may become my favorite for 22 pin shoots - uses standard Colt Ace mags.
    Novak ? (I believe that was the correct name) - a superb unit inn terms of fit and finish, steel slide. Could not obtain the same accuracy as the Marvel unit and returned it with less than 50 rounds fired. In retrospect, I should have given it a longer & fairer test.
    Tony

Posts liked by others

wilson combat ?

HI

what is your opinion about the wilson combat conversion unit
    accurate ?
    last shot open ??

regards
    greg

Posts liked by others

One correction

I have never used the Wilson unit and cannot comment.

The name of the last unit is the DVORAK not NOVAK.

I have used the following as described in my post:
    Colt - original unit with floating chamber
    Ceiner/Kimber
    Dvorak - insufficient trial, many people swear by his units
    Jarvis
    Marvel
    Hope this helps.
    Tony
    Last edited by TonyT; 21st June 2005 at 06:59.

Posts liked by others

Pro Tek

Hello everybody. I've just bought a PRO TEK ( made in Italy ) .22 conversion kit for 105$. I've never heard of this brand, but the finish looks excellent and comes with adjustable sights. I haven't fired it yet, and I'd like to know some more info about it. Thanks, THUD.-

Posts liked by others
    I've got a Wilson Combat Unit... It's really a Ciener unit and I just love it. It's a very accurate plinker. At 10 yards, I can keep putting the .22 bullets into a 1" patch. Good enough for the girls I go out with. LOL

This Wilson unit is mounted on my Springfield Armory M1911 Loaded and it's just a superb combination. I could not be happier. Honestly, I could die on the highway a very happy person. The magazines are all Ciener and they feed perfectly. They are easy to disassemble and clean. I like the idea of being able to buy more and more of the magazines from Ciener and Brownell's.

Some of you M1911 lovers may not like the front slide serrations, but my M1911's are range guns and I don't mind them at all. Actually, the front serrations look like the same ones on my 1911 Springer Loaded slide. ha ha ha

The Ciener / Wilson Combat unit strips easily for cleaning. Very easy to keep clean and running reliably, just keep it oiled like any M1911 pistol. I'm in cleaning heaven. Just give it a blast of "Gunk Out" and we are good to go with a wipe down and then oiling.

I've got the fixed sights and right outta the box, it shot point of aim = point of impact at 10, 15 and 25 yards. I just love this piece of gear. It's been the best $ 225 I've bought from ebay.... Go Figure !

Life is great... Oh by the way, this kit loves to shoot the Federal High Velocity 36 gr. Copper Plated 550 rd Bulk Pak ammo found in WalMart (where else?) for all of $ CDN 15.77. I go through about 500 rds of .22 LR each weekly practice.

Cheers all, I hope this helps the purchasing process.

Barney

Posts liked by others

Angry Ciener service failure

Ciener no longer responds to communications and is an unworthy merchant. The only answer one gets to the telephone is a recorder that bluntly says they will not respond to a message. They do not respond to fax messages. They did not even respond to a message from my lawyers trying to get me some help for their product when all my efforts failed--including 23 attempts over 2 weeks to just get them to answer the telephone.
    The telephone message says that all information is available on their website, and anything you want must come through the website. However, the only thing that can be done on the website is the purchase of complete kits. No parts can be purchased, no service can be arranged, etc. [my kit became useless when the ejector loosened].

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast