Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: DuraCoat

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

DuraCoat

I just finished putting together an AR 15 And decided I wanted to finish it my own way. I decided on DuraCoat .A finish that I got from Lauer Custom Weaponry , Chippea Falls WI.
    I decided on the AM-Stripe EZ kit. The kit consists of Paint (this particular kit contained Matte Black and Tiger Stripe Green), hardener,reducer, peel and stick templates,Tru-Strip,Air Brush and hoses with aerosol propellant,and instructional DVD. I did not however use the air brush as I did purchase a mini HVLP paint sprayer.
    I have no artistic ability and it is also my first time using a spray gun , I was happy with the results.
    The key to a good finish is to completely degrease the entire weapon for good adhesion of the Dura Coat,
    The Kit

Before pic of AR

Stripped and degreased

Taped

After base Coat

Here are the peel and stick templates being applied prior to 2nd coat of Tiger Stripe Green Paint on the lower receiver

Lower receiver After 2nd coat before removing templates

Templates removed

Same procedure with the upper receiver

Here is the finished product, I did learn a few tricks along the way, that will make my next finishing job easier. All in all I think it came out pretty good, I just need the weather to cooperate so I can give it a coat of clear. Total time about 6 hours over 2 days.

Mike
    PEACE!....through superior firepower!
    If it aint broke.......FIX it til it is !!!!

Posts liked by others
    nice paint job now i no who to send mine to lol hope you do custom orders jkjk nice job,,,,,

Posts liked by others
    Very nice job! Was there any part of the process that you would offer caution on?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger375
    Very nice job! Was there any part of the process that you would offer caution on?
    The prep is very important to make sure you have stripped every bit of oil and grease off the weapon for proper bonding to take place. Also , not being a painter by trade , I had to remind myself to make even passes with the spray gun. I picked up a few tricks as I went,but anyone that has any dexterity and patience should get good results! I have an Instructional DVD that I will send to whoever would like to see the application, PM me with address and Ill get it out.
    Mike
    PEACE!....through superior firepower!
    If it aint broke.......FIX it til it is !!!!

Posts liked by others
    Very nice job on the AR Mike.
    You also did a great job on the write up and pictures.

Posts liked by others
    Excellent Job, Mike!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    good job that is a nice looking AR.