Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: N and NM Serial Number Prefix and Where the Pistol is Made

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BRWinMD
    Try Terry that's who I've dealt with with very fast results, his (?) email address is:

terryb@springfield-armory.com
    BRWinMD,
    Thanks - I sent Terry an email this morning. A few minutes later I received an out of office response so I went ahead and called S/A's 800 number. Talked to Vicky (very helpful lady). Info she found regarding my inquiry (#NM44xxx) is that it was manufactured in Jan 1988. When I asked her if it were a GI or Mil-spec, she replied they didn't give those designations back then. Now I'm on my next quest as to find out what Model and Series 1911-A1 it is.
    "Your Decision Determines Your Destination"

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJames
    BRWinMD,
    Thanks - I sent Terry an email this morning. A few minutes later I received an out of office response so I went ahead and called S/A's 800 number. Talked to Vicky (very helpful lady). Info she found regarding my inquiry (#NM44xxx) is that it was manufactured in Jan 1988. When I asked her if it were a GI or Mil-spec, she replied they didn't give those designations back then. Now I'm on my next quest as to find out what Model and Series 1911-A1 it is.

According to my single reference, the 1911-A1 Springfield pistol of the period
    (1985 to 1990) was simply that: the Model 1911-A1. It appears that it was a hybrid of the current G.I. and Mil-Spec models, with taller sights but small ejection port. It also had the Commander-style bobbed hammer (round with a hole in it). The 1990 replacement model was called the '90s Edition Model 1911-A1 and had a traditional spur hammer. The G.I. and Mil-Spec distinct models didn't come along for some time.

Posts liked by others
    I recently purchased a SA SS 1911 with a NM 158xxx serial number and I have tried to identify the model, I guess it was manufactured earlier as it does not have a loaded indicator nor is the safety ambidextrous, also the grips have nothing between the points. It does have the groves on the slide and is a very nice looking gun, I am looking forward to retuning home with my wife who is recovering from cancer, and finally getting to take this baby to the range and try it out. I will call SA this coming week and if I find out anything I will post it.

Posts liked by others
    I purchased a Stainless Loaded built in Jan 2004 according to the date stamped under the grip.
    It has an N serial number but no Made in Brazil markings.
    What gives?
    Last edited by thump_rrr; 30th December 2010 at 20:11.

Posts liked by others
    I think that some older pistols may have a 'Brazil-Imbel' marking either underneath the dustcover or inside it - I don't remember.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I am about to buy a used Springfield 1911 A1 .45 that is chrome finished and with serial number NM 01736 with the GENESEO IL USA on top of the numbers. One thing I noticed though is that the Springfield logo is on the rear portion of the slide near the serrations and not near front. Is this normal and original?

Posts liked by others
    Does the slide have front serrations?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by sprikitik2011
    I am about to buy a used Springfield 1911 A1 .45 that is chrome finished and with serial number NM 01736 with the GENESEO IL USA on top of the numbers. One thing I noticed though is that the Springfield logo is on the rear portion of the slide near the serrations and not near front. Is this normal and original?
    Yes, it's normal, it's just an earlier version, the crossed cannons use to be near the rear of the slide, Springer just moved them forward. Unless your pistol has the custom shop logo, then the crossed cannons are moved back to the rear so the custom shop logo can be placed on the slide.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper
    Last edited by OD*; 28th March 2011 at 08:59.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678