Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: N and NM Serial Number Prefix and Where the Pistol is Made

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Imbel in one spot only...

My Loaded shows the "N" prefix serial number under Imbel, no Imbel under the dust cover and no Imbel on the right side of the grip frame. How about that?

Posts liked by others
    Only Springfield's inconsistency is consistent.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    Well, I see that the N and NM were covered, but does anyone have info on the WW serial prefix?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkfish
    Well, I see that the N and NM were covered, but does anyone have info on the WW serial prefix?
    Dorkfish,

Look about 5 posts previous (#22) and you'll find your answer...

Cliff

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope".

- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts liked by others
    I bought a new Mil-Spec back in the 80's that had a NM serial number. IIRC it also had Brazil stamped on it. Does that sound right?
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. - Thomas Jefferson

NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon
    I bought a new Mil-Spec back in the 80's that had a NM serial number. IIRC it also had Brazil stamped on it. Does that sound right?
    It's inconsistent with what I have observed with Springfield's NM marked 1911's... however, that is a much earlier Mil-Spec and what Tom opined above certainly applies-

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    Only Springfield's inconsistency is consistent.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope".

- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts liked by others
    In 2007, Springfield, Inc. produced 4032 9mm and 9655 .45 pistols, for a total of 13,687. Source:

This is domestic production only, of course, and does not include those pistols imported from Brazil and Croatia. It does give an idea of how many were sufficiently "processed" here to require reporting as "manufactured."

In contrast to 2007 (the most recent year available from the ATF), in 2006 Springfield, Inc. produced a total of 7153 of both calibers.

Regards,

Walt
    PS During 2007 Colt manufactured 17,633 .38 Super and .45 ACP pistols.
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    Here is my 1990 "Defender model" with a NM serial number.
    No brizal marking at all anywhere on the gun.

Notice the placement of the springfield seal. Its behind the ejection port intsead of infront of it.

Last edited by Bugman53; 12th August 2009 at 01:12.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugman53
    Here is my 1990 "Defender model" with a NM serial number.
    No brizal marking at all anywhere on the gun.

Notice the placement of the springfield seal. Its behind the ejection port intsead of infront of it.

the NM prefix will not have Brazil marked on it since it was assembled and finished here in the US. It also doesnt mean that the serial number is an NM and the logo will be placed at the rear part of the slide. I got an NM prefix springer that the logo is at the front part of the slide. The earlier model guns they have does have the logo at the back
    if it dont start with a 4, dont go to war. come get some
    Last edited by CDogg; 12th August 2009 at 04:01.

Posts liked by others
    My Compact has a NMC and the Logo is at the back of the slide.......

Last edited by Spoiler; 14th August 2009 at 20:13.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast