Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: N and NM Serial Number Prefix and Where the Pistol is Made

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I agree with Bob... "The definition of "assembled in Brazil" is pretty elastic."

Texagun, I've not ever heard that N prefix guns were discontinued from finishing in Brazil... and NM prefix were started in Geneseo.

Are you asking if the NM prefix has superceded N prefix as normal production?

I have seen it posted that in past years Springfield has used other serial number prefixes than N and NM... and that doesn't count the WW prefix for their G.I. models.

Springfield is very taciturn on this subject, by the way...

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope".

- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff731

Are you asking if the NM prefix has superceded N prefix as normal production?
    I guess the answer would be "yes." I thought the "N" guns were early guns assembled in Brazil, and the "NM" guns were later guns produced when they moved assembly to Illinois. I was just wondering if there was a date that separated the two.
    Last edited by texagun; 10th November 2008 at 17:17.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by texagun
    I guess the answer would be "yes." I thought the "N" guns were early guns assembled in Brazil, and the "NM" guns were later guns produced when they moved assembly to Illinois. I was just wondering if there was a date that separated the two.
    No... actually, the N and NM prefixes have been running for sometime. There's some of the pre-1990 Springfields in that thread showing a NM prefix... and I have one made in 2007 with a NM prefix.

From what I know and understand, a NM prefix is almost always a Springfield that had > 50% of work done at Geneseo. Of course, that doesn't exclude N prefix pistols from being done likewise in Geneseo. Springfield's customer service folks will tell you they have used several serial number prefixes on their 1911A1 pistols.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope".

- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts liked by others
    In the latest issue of Combat Handguns, Rob Garret did an article on the TRP. In the article he started off with the info given to him by Dave Williams. "NM" guns are semi-finished match frames and slides in which the gunsmiths at SA cut the rails in and fit the two together by hand, "NM" guns also recieve SA stainless match barrels. This seems to be a very good explanation as I have seen a picture of a TRP that had a serial that was exactly on digit off from my Mil-Spec.

Posts liked by others

Thanks for NM info

Thanks for this info...I was wondering what the NM on my new Trophy Match actually meant....guy in the store mentioned something about made in America but wasn't specific. I guess this means I should be happy? Love the gun.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton
    ...I guess this means I should be happy? Love the gun.
    Absolutely, Clayton... such is cause to rejoice... well... maybe that's a stretch... but it is something to be happy about. The few Trophy Match Springfields as I've seen were all marked "NM"...

- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts liked by others

springfield

I have a sa stainless 1911-a1 has 2006 imbel itajuba under the right grip panel doesnt have the crossed canons on the slide us on the grips the imbel is not laser on it looks like its pinged with a punch? any thoughts on that ser is ww75xxx.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 77x58mm
    I have a sa stainless 1911-a1 has 2006 imbel itajuba under the right grip panel doesnt have the crossed canons on the slide us on the grips the imbel is not laser on it looks like its pinged with a punch? any thoughts on that ser is ww75xxx.
    The "WW" serial number prefix identifies your Springfield as a G.I. pistol.

All those characteristics you describe would be found on any stainless SA G.I. pistol.

- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts liked by others
    thanks cliff!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 77x58mm
    thanks cliff!
    You're welcome...

- Sir Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast