Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: G.I. vs MIL-SPEC - A Comparison

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I realy like my GI version. May add a full guide rod and a magazine guide, but that would be it.
    Fan of the .45 ACP

Posts liked by others
    Not sure I really understand the difference/benefits of 'Parkerized' Carbon Steel vs Stainless?...

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Z11
    Not sure I really understand the difference/benefits of 'Parkerized' Carbon Steel vs Stainless?...
    Difference is mostly appearance. The Parkerized carbon steel will be dark in color, whereas the stainless will be shiny. A stainless barrel might also perform longer/better than a carbon steel barrel, too.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    Do any of you guys CCW either of these guns on a regular basis? I've got a Taurus PT1911 currently, but I'm seriously considering a GI model for carry. Any experiences or opinions? Weight issues?

Posts liked by others
    if it's hot out, its heavey....
    Fan of the .45 ACP

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmadron
    Do any of you guys CCW either of these guns on a regular basis?
    I carried my Parkerized Mil-Spec quite often, and I lived in Florida where it is hot and humid pretty much all year long. It really wasn't a problem carrying it. I find the weight on my hip to be reassuring, actually. And the only reason I stopped carrying my Mil-Spec is because I upgraded to a Loaded model. Now my Mil-Spec is my "car" gun.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    I to am a fellow floridian, and i carry my GI everywere!
    i traded my springfield XD for it because it is much slimmer and therfore
    easier to conceal even when i where shorts! and so far the weit has not been a issue to me.

the only thing i would recomend for a GI is better sights
    other than that it's a great easy to carry gun.
    Fear is a reaction,
    courage is a decision.

Posts liked by others
    Hi all,

I'm finally taking the dive and getting a 1911 (1st handgun) and have narrowed it down to one of these two. It will be my home defense gun (M-F) as well as my CCW when I go out on the weekends.

Just a few questions that are bothering me.
    1. Is the GI low profile sights better for an In the Waist Band (ICW) than the MIL-SPEC in terms of snags?

2. What is a "flared" ejection port on the MIL-SPEC as oppose to the "std" on the GI?

3. Beveled Mag well (MIL-SPEC) vs none on the GI. What is this? I can't tell a difference from the pics. All I was able to find via google is that Beveled Wells alow for quicker magazine reloads. How or if this is correct no idea.

4. Why a lanyard on the GI??? Did WW II solider's carry this gun around a string on their neck? Sorry for the clueness on my history but I find it a bit odd.

5. Serations is there a difference bewteen angled and vertial?

I found a few reviews on the MIL-SPEC and off course even more questions for ya. =)

From one review:
    http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...Mil%20Spec.htm

"It (MIL-SPC) does NOT have an internal firing pin safety ala Colt Series 80 pistols or Kimber II guns." Sadly the article does not expand on this? So I should worry or not why?

"The Springfield now uses a .38 Super firing pin in all models, which has a narrow tip than a .45 firing pin" Okay so is this good or bad? Why a .38 when this is a .45 gun?

Thanks all

Posts liked by others
    I'm not as much of an expert as some of the folk on here, but I can answer a handful of these.

1: Yes, they are better for snags, though if you have the proper holster you should be fine. The newer front sights on the Mil Specs are cut at an angle unlike the older ones which are flat at the dot's face, to add cosmetic appeal as well as inherent snag aid.

2: Flared ejection ports are cut better than "standard" non flared ejection ports, and allow for better..... ejection of casings after each shot.

3: Beveling is when you cut normally 90 degree angle steel surfaces to a slant for easier reloading. On the GI you have the nonbeveled well which is perfectly 90 degrees on any side of it, and on the Mil Spec it's angled so when you get the mag near it, it'll filter into the well. Sorta like funneling it. Pictures would explain it better, but I don't have any offhand, sorry.

4: They just wanted to put that on as a cosmetic thing, the gun is actually based more on a Series 70/Government model than an original 1911 A1 pistol. Some pilots who were lucky enough got a 1911 and liked a lanyard to keep it from falling out of their hands or holsters thousands of feet out of the sky, and some infantrymen lanyarded them as well to prevent dropping.

5: Again, just a look, I prefer the straight, but my friend has a vertical serrated 1911 and he likes it just fine.

6: No, it does not have internal pin safety, but some people prefer their 1911 be 70 Series rather than 80. It's just another safety precaution, and isn't terribly necessary, just nice to have. Springers do come with both the 70 and 80 series half cocks, however.

As for the firing pin, I have no educated comment on any switch, but they are made of titanium and therefore nigh unbreakable, and so long as it's centered onto your casings' primer, you're good to go.

Again, I'm not a real expert, this is just what I know. If someone more knowledgeable could chime in, I'd take what they have to say as important, if not more, as my rant here. Thank you.

On another note, there is another difference in the Mil-Spec and GI models that diagrams don't tell too well. I've handled both, and found that the GI safety has a fuller bar than the Mil Spec, and is easier to engage/disengage. It happens to be my favorite feature on the gun as well as my favorite manual safety (as far as performance/aesthetic compromise allows)
    Last edited by Yournamehere; 18th August 2008 at 21:16.

Posts liked by others
    When I was in service 64-67, military police, when in Class A (Dress) uniform, would have a white lanyard attached to the loop. I don't recall if they used the lanyard when in BDUs.

As MPs were the security around the headquarters, their normal duty dress was Class A.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast