Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: G.I. vs MIL-SPEC - A Comparison

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by nickel
    my gi model is parked . but has ww starting the serial number . what does the ww stand for
    The "WW" serial number prefix denotes all G.I. models.

Mil-Spec models use a "N" or two letter serial number prefix beginning with "N" such as "NM". Other letters may be found following the "N".

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope".

- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts liked by others
    Images have been updated.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    hey tom, you also forgt to mention that the mil spec has the springer logo on it, and the gi doesnt.. lol

i have the gi, and i love it. i like the vertical serrations on it.

the only thing i have done, is have the trigger lightened ( the gi's have a pretty stiff trigger!) and i changed the grips to double diamond wood checkered. i put a flat MSH on it and a 3 hole trigger.

i couldnt be happier with mine, its never failed me in any way, its my duty weapon, and i trust it completely.

the only other thing im planning for it is night sights.

i would much rather have the Gi and do what few things i have dont to it than spend a lot more for a model with things i dont need. ( hate front serrations!) ( the springer professional i like, but its not feasable right now.. lol)

the gi ( and mil spec im sure) is a great basic 1911 that can be counted on as a workhorse. esp since the ponies have got so expensive!

russel
    SDMF
    Last edited by russel5150; 22nd April 2008 at 19:46. Reason: just cause

Posts liked by others
    I also forgot to mention the "loaded chamber indicator" on the barrel hood. Yet something else to add.

I'm not sure I want to mention anything about the logos because their placement seems to be ... varied ... depending on the model and year. I've seen the logo before the ejection port, behind the ejection port, non existent - they're all over the place.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    I have a Mil Spec, just got done smoothing out the frame ramp and beveled the barrel. Now it will feed to any ammo.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    I also forgot to mention the "loaded chamber indicator" on the barrel hood. Yet something else to add.

I'm not sure I want to mention anything about the logos because their placement seems to be ... varied ... depending on the model and year. I've seen the logo before the ejection port, behind the ejection port, non existent - they're all over the place.
    The logos could be a real can of worms... Tom, thanks for all your work on this! The images are a great reference! Between this and the 1911 in the movies threads you've been busy!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ShishidoNail
    Between this and the 1911 in the movies threads you've been busy!
    Don't forget our Help Desk! I've been pretty active in there, too. But I don't mind it, really. I know way less about the M1911 and firearms than most people on here. I'm often floored by the amount of knowledge and expertise I see on this Forum every day. I'm just glad that I can contribute what I can - which is mostly IT-related - to my fellow members.

I really need to update those images again but my primary computer is being upgraded to Hardy Heron and is indisposed at the moment. Maybe this weekend.

Posts liked by others
    I've got a hybrid...everything on the MilSpec above but the ejection port is not lowered or flared. Serial #NM990** rollmarked "Geneseo, IL". My logo is between the ejection port and the angled serrations. What is this creature?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.
    Likes (1) :
    The War Wagon (16th October 2018)

Last edited by AZ Husker; 5th May 2008 at 02:32.

Posts liked by others
    Sounds like a pre-G.I. model, back when Mil-Spec was their entry level (or only?) pistol.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Tom. It does have the older "square" dust cover.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast