Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering a Victorinox SwissTool

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    Corkscrew (laugh all you want, but I've actually USED my corkscrew on my Swiss Army knife. Several times!)
    And just who have you been opening bottles of wine for with that corkscrew??? Hmmmm???
    Carole

The poster formerly known as MrsKey and always known as exceedingly patient and long suffering for being married to Tom.

Posts liked by others
    I'll never tell.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    I won't comment on the various blades, that is personal taste. However, in regards to tools my short list(in nor particular order):

Gerber 600D (the heavy duty one issued to military ordnance disposal - "D" is for DET)
    Leatherman Wave
    Victorinox Swisstool

These three will take a beating and keep working.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettwc
    Gerber 600D (the heavy duty one issued to military ordnance disposal - "D" is for DET)
    I don't know what model of Gerber I handled at the store, but I doubt it was the "D" model. The one I held just seemed ... cheap. The handles must be an alloy of some kind. And I wasn't too thrilled with the "slightshot" way to get the pliers out. I prefer the more traditional "butterfly" arrangement.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    I have one of these.what I like about it is unlike my Leatherman I do'nt have to open another blade to close the one I am using.And the blades open from the outside.
    Last edited by scottl; 5th April 2008 at 14:49.

Posts liked by others
    That's one of the reasons I lean towards the SwissTool, too. That, and each of the individual blades lock when it is open.

I'm starting to lean more towards the CS Plus model because even though it comes with the extra bits that I'll likely not use or carry, the implements on the CS Plus tool itself are better than on the RS tool. Plus the carry case - in case I do decide to carry it that way - is better.

And I've found some decent prices on the CS Plus online, ranging from $81 to $99. And a couple places will even engrave the tool, too!

Posts liked by others
    I don't know what model of Gerber I handled at the store, but I doubt it was the "D" model. The one I held just seemed ... cheap. The handles must be an alloy of some kind. And I wasn't too thrilled with the "slightshot" way to get the pliers out. I prefer the more traditional "butterfly" arrangement.
    Sounds like the cheaper commercial version. Here's a pic of the DET version.

More info:
    http://www.gerbergear.com/product.php?model=7400
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    I've a Swisstool and do love it. The knife is a spear point and very versatile. My main gripe with it is lack of one-hand opening blade. The workmanship is superb and the tool as a whole is very well thought out. You might want to have a look at the Leatherman Wave or Surge as well. Regards, Bill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12