Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Series 80 Info

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

No Drop-In

Mornin' Howie,

Swamper nailed it...even though it's a new safety. The specs stacked up against you and the lug isn't quite long enough block the trigger. You can stretch the lug and refit it with a punch and hammer.

Lay the lug flat on a block of steel or the tailstock of a bench vise and punch the lug at the point of contact to move a little metal forward. Flip it over and do the other side. Light stoning may be required to get the lug to release the trigger. Be careful not to bend the lug.

You can see the area of contact by looking into the magwell with a flashlight
    and operating the safety and trigger. Study it for a few minutes and you'll
    see where it sould hit. Don't overdo it. It probably won't need more than
    .010 inch or so of displacement to effectively block the trigger.

A different trigger may make it unnecessary, since a different trigger may be .010 inch longer to start with...and may work perfectly. It's all in which direction the tolerances go. If your trigger is .010 shorter than spec...and your lug is .010 shorter...there's over a 64th inch working against you.

Drop-In is a relative term...Too many dimensions and tolerances involved to
    guarantee that a part will drop in and work. It very well might...but it's best not to count on it.

Luck!

Tuner

Posts liked by others

grip safety

thanks guys will try it tonight when i get home from work.
    will keep you posted

Posts liked by others

grip safety

hi guy it work many thanks you safe me many of hour and $$ try to solve that problem.

thanks again howie

Posts liked by others

carry

Hi guys,

I am thinking of carring conceled, a 70's series commander with one in the chamber ..... I am looking for some feed back ( pro or con ) as to the safty-ness of doing this.

Thanks

Mike.
    No matter where you go....There you are!

Posts liked by others
    Grip safety fully operational and tested-thumb safety tested operational--should be good to go.
    1911's been carried in Condition 1 many a year that way.
    Jeff
    Blessed are the bewildered for they won't notice--Tweak

Posts liked by others

carry

Thanks swamper.

Posts liked by others

Smile

Mike:

Wearing one right now....

I alternate that with a Para Tac-Four, which is my avatar and yours too. Betcha you didn't know what it was - an LDA can have an almost non-existent hammer. The "grooved" Pearce grips and the arched mainspring housing are my add-ons. (Think "double-stack Commander", but the Para's grip frame, although about the same width as a Commander, is rather more square; the Commander's kinda oval. My Commander has a Wilson drop-in beavertail and Pachmayr grips, too. Very comfortable to shoot.)

The important thing about Condition One ("Cocked & Locked") is that the safeties all have to be in good working order, and to keep you finger out of the trigger guard unless you're really serious. The trigger shouldn't be "hair trigger", but it probably will be fairly light, and there's just about nothing between you and an AD except training. You also need to practice flipping off the safety - I don't think anybody will tell you to carry one of these with the safety off.

It also scares the sheeple.... Hammer back looks agressive. Most people don't realize that the grip and hammer safeties are there to allow that kind of carry. It takes a heap of bad luck to AD without actually pressing the trigger. Even a holster-related problem is unlikely if you don't touch the grip safety. However, be sure about your holster - try to force an AD (unloaded, of course) and see what happens. If you can do it deliberately, you probably will do it accidentally.

IMHO, the real hazard is the "startle" reaction. Normal draw, presentation, etc., and then you put your finger on the trigger. Somebody says "boo" and it's BANG.... Any firearm can do this, of course, but an SA is just a little more likely to. (This is why you should avoid "hair trigger" firearms in general.)

(The Para's an LDA, which is a whole other thread, but has a very long trigger travel compared to the Commander. A little better....)

Overall, not for the newbie, but you can train into it easily enough. Don't carry the thing until you're really practiced up on it!

(Don't trust the safeties, either.... The grip safety can be a little iffy on the range and not cause any problems. I don't know how the slide mounted hammer safety can fail, but I'm sure it can. Trying to swap in a beavertail teaches you much.... Test them while the gun is empty during cleaning. Clean it regularly, too. Crud & corruption can cause reliability problems, as can lubrication issues.)

In proper hands, and in good condition, any 1911 should be about as safe to carry as any other semi. Then there's the intimidation factor.... That thing looks like a 12ga. when it's pointed at you. You may not need to fire it....
    Stu.
    (Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    יזכר לא עד פעם

Posts liked by others
    I'll try to make this a link--probably one of the best descriptions of the testing of safties I've run into--Bill really knows and can put it in words even I can understand........
    http://www.cylinder-slide.com/1911safetyck.shtml

As always,practice, practice, practice and on a carry gun you probably want a trigger pull at about 4# to preclude an AD.
    Jeff
    Blessed are the bewildered for they won't notice--Tweak

Posts liked by others

Smile

Swamper:

My Commander was about 10 pounds when I got it!

The guy who willed it to me had diabetic neuropathy, and had lost a good deal of sensation in his fingers. He set it up so he could feel it.

The funny thing was that it shot just fine. Probably 'cause I'm an old wheelgunner. However, I had a local gunsmith put it back to normal.

My old S&W M39, though, is way too light in SA, although it's DA pull is about as smooth as anything I've ever fired (and about six pounds).

Regards,
    Stu.
    (Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    יזכר לא עד פעם

Posts liked by others

carry

Thanks for the advice Stu,

Actually I have done a lot or research on the LDA's and i'm within a half of heart beat of getting a black watch companion or the new tac-s... I have shot many a single action over the years but never carried one locked and cocked 24-7..... and was wondering how safe they really where when being carried in the "real world"

how lond did it take you to get use to your LDA? and do you have any problems in transition from your s.a to d.a.?

Thanks,

Mike.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast