Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Cobra Tests: Q&A

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Tuner
    I haven't found that to be the rule in all the pistols tested so far, with hardball sometimes producing the rougher feeding, especially on the top round during a slidelock reload. Note that's not saying that the guns didn't go to battery...just that it wasn't as smooth as I would like to have seen.

The parallel lips and abrupt release point is more attuned to semi-wadcutters than hardball. I can only come up with one reason that Virgil specified such a late release point with the Cobras...and that's to provide a little extra distance for the case rim to move and to give the slide time to catch up in the event that it gets bumped ahead of the breechface. Maybe he can chime in and give us a little inside information on that.
    How do they do if you don't use the slide lock to drop the slide into battery? I always re-rack from dry to get more travel and a "running start" on the slide.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Solid
    How do they do if you don't use the slide lock to drop the slide into battery? I always re-rack from dry to get more travel and a "running start" on the slide.
    So far, they've done about as well either way.

Posts liked by others
    I probably missed it, but they feed "straighter" than other mags because the feed lips are longer, releasing the cartridge "later". So, the bullet hits "higher" on the frame ramp than "standard spec"?

That's good because, with 8 rounders in general, the cartridge dips "lower" out of the mag than spec 7 rounders. And, guns with frame ramps that aren't "long enough" or improper ramp angles, will/can choke on the 8 rounder?
    Of course, variences and types of bullets alter these "equations".

Posts liked by others
    I just got back from the range where I tried out a Cobra magazine that Tuner was good enough to send me.
    I ran around 100 rounds of reloads through my Colt 1991A1 with no troubles.
    My reloads consist of various headstamped brass (mostly Hornady, Armscor, Winchester, and Federal) with my home cast LSWC (Lyman mold number 452630).
    COL 1.230"
    Powder is 5.3gr of Unique and primers and Winchester large pistol.
    Also another 50 or so of Winchester White Box was run through my friends Springfield GI.
    All rounds fed and locked the slide back when the magizine was empty.
    I had some trouble with some Chip McMorick Shooting Star 8 rounders with the 91A1 (though the magazine spring was wore out).
    I am going to get to the range again soon to run a few more rounds through the magazine then bring it to Tuner and have him give it a once over.
    So far so good.
    Last edited by Hunter; 27th April 2008 at 13:14.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the test run and the input, Hunter. I'll copy the link to your post and add it to the test thread for all who may be interested in your results.

Posts liked by others
    I ordered a 7 rounder, gov't length Cobra Mag.

It performed very well, and later I elected to replace the split level followers that came in the factory Kimber Magazine as well as a Chip McCormick 8 round mag with the Tripp Research Upgrade Kits.

Function on these magazines is now flawless. Interestingly, the upgrade kit uses a 1-coil longer spring than the CobraMag's do.

With the positive experience, and these reviews I've elected to order an 8rnd Cobra Mag, and the snazzy looking alloy baseplate. If things go well, and they arrive promptly I'll post pictures.

Actually, I'll update either way.
    Kimber Pro CDP II, other boomsticks, lovely wife and a Ducati Monster.

Posts liked by others
    Originally Posted by Jim Watson
    Now, if we could get native 8 round magazines with the Cobra disguised protrusion which allows for more spring and a deep follower AND the Checkmate hybrid lips over a follower with proper pimple location...

I think Check-Mate is already on that one...but don't hold me to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Tuner
    I think Check-Mate is already on that one...but don't hold me to that.
    I talked with Joe Debello? at Checkmate and they and they are in process and should be released soon. 1911 Tuner I know you are busy with this test.. How about a call to Joe and get some Checkmate 8rd extended magazines for testing. Maybe you could do the CM test alongside the Cobra test.
    Likes (1) :
    jacs (20th August 2016)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeard
    Maybe you could do the CM test alongside the Cobra test
    Jackie PMed me a while back and asked if I'd test it if they decided to go ahead with the project. I told her that I would...and apparently they've jumped in with both feet.

Ain't free enterprise great?

Posts liked by others
    So far testing in a Springfield Armory Loaded and a re-built Sistema with barely in-spec (if at all!) tolerances has been good. Lead 230 gr round nose feed well, had some issues with the Sistema and 160 gr LSWCs. However, the gun itself has been problematic and I'll get back to the range for a side by side test against all the magazine types I have.

I'm getting into USPSA shooting and will float the 8 rounder I have there, for comments.

Leam
    Last edited by leam; 9th August 2008 at 06:20.

Posts liked by others
    Just yesterday I received CobraMags. I must say that the time from order to receipt of of mags was amazingly quick.

I had ordered three 10 round 9mm mags and three eight round 45 acp mags. I fired the 9mm through my 1951 Commander which should feed anything and was always fine with 9 round Colt factory mags. Don Williams at the Action Works had recently freshened up the pistol and it's perfectly in spec, beautiful and has always functioned well. I shot WWB 115 grain FMJ, Federal 115 gr JHP, Federal 135 gr. Hydra Shok ("low recoil") and Winchester Ranger T 147 gr hollow points. Interestingly, I had two issues, both with the FMJ ammo (go figure). Both times round six had FTE - brass just sitting there on top of the next round, which hadn't yet fed. Only happened twice, with the same mag (I had three). No problems with any other mags or ammo.

As for the eight round 45 acp, my son had a couple issues - he thinks it was user error. We were shooting a 1952 Commercial Government model which has been flawless with pretty much all ammo and with CM seven round mags (from the lamented group buy) and with Wilson 47D mags that had the seven round Tripp upgrade kits. My son's issue was premature lockback, generally around round four. Happened once with one of the three mags we used, twice with another. I could not replicate the problem, and indeed, the "problem" went away after several uses of the mags. We shot a total of 150 rounds of Speer Lawman 230 gr FMJ.

Mags had great springs, were well finished and seem well made. They do seem to extend a little further out of the bottom of mag well than I had anticipated, but not too bad. I like the follower design (plastic with metal skirt) for my alloy framed 9mm. Both mag types have the follower seemingly holding the round up a little higher than some other mags, if that makes sense. All in all, pretty impressive magazines, which provide that one extra round. I will give them another go tomorrow.
    EBK
    "...there's one in every crowd for cryin' out loud, but why was it always turning out to be me?" --- W. Jennings
    Last edited by EchoBravoKilo; 9th August 2008 at 13:37.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast