Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Cobra Tests: Q&A

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Tuner, yep, it runs flawlessly with the tapered lip design.

PM sent.

Posts liked by others
    I either shoot 230 ball or some hollowpoint variation in that wt. I am guessing that you will find that the new Cobra mags will probably shine with most any decent gun in that bullet wt in ball or hp configs.

ranburr

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ranburr
    I am guessing that you will find that the new Cobra mags will probably shine with most any decent gun in that bullet wt in ball or hp configs.
    I haven't found that to be the rule in all the pistols tested so far, with hardball sometimes producing the rougher feeding, especially on the top round during a slidelock reload. Note that's not saying that the guns didn't go to battery...just that it wasn't as smooth as I would like to have seen.

The parallel lips and abrupt release point is more attuned to semi-wadcutters than hardball. I can only come up with one reason that Virgil specified such a late release point with the Cobras...and that's to provide a little extra distance for the case rim to move and to give the slide time to catch up in the event that it gets bumped ahead of the breechface. Maybe he can chime in and give us a little inside information on that.

Posts liked by others
    Well done test...no surprise.

At one time I thought the pricing was too high, but as Wilson redesigned, CMC coming soon, they are all going to be in that price range.

I'd guess the next step will just take time and rounds, i.e. spring strength and mag lips spreading. That might take a long time.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by auto45
    I'd guess the next step will just take time and rounds, i.e. spring strength and mag lips spreading.
    I don't foresee any problems with either in the Cobras. The strength of the parallel lips is that they're resistant to spreading, and the springs have shown no indication of weakening thus far...and as noted...the Cobra tubes are exceptionally well-made.

The tapered lipped magazines do tend to spread, though this hasn't presented any issues with good tube material in the 7-round versions. The extra stress on the 8-rounders has allowed that particular problem to materialize in a few examples as reported on the board...though not in any of the ones that I've had.

It might be worth mentioning that all the Check-Mate 8-round hybrid-lipped magazines that I've been wringing out have been stainless, and the ones that have given problems have been blue. That may well be the factor.
    Last edited by 1911Tuner; 22nd March 2008 at 09:21.

Posts liked by others

Aluminum Frame

I saw that the Tripp website states that the first round in the mag is set up a little higher to help in feeding. Does this or anything on the mag cause any chance of damage to an aluminum frame? I am looking at buying a couple Cobra's. Just wanted to know before I drop the coin.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Last edited by IN Defender; 25th March 2008 at 21:07.

Posts liked by others
    Defender, the Cobras are completely compatible with aluminum frames and will not damage them.

The folded Devel-type follower is the one that damages aluminum frames. I've had several Colt LW Commanders, and always used the standard 7-round magazines and never had a problem with frame damage. I've known of a few that have had some damage fromc ertain hollowpoint designs, but it seems to have been as much the result of the hard anodizing either being worn off from use...or deliberately removed by Dremel Dan during an attempt to mirror polish the feed ramp.

Posts liked by others

Just ordered them

Well, I just ordered the Cobramag 7R-45-WG and the Super 7 Upgrade Kit. I am going to install the upgrade on my factory Kimber mag. I will add my two cents in after I get them and take them out and see how they work. I had nothing but problems with the Kimber mag. Hopefully this will solve it.

Posts liked by others

Icon17 Pleased

I got my 7R-45-WG Cobramag and Super 7 Upgrade in the mail on Monday. I took out the guts on my Kimpro mag and put in the upgrade. I went to the range on Tuesday and am very pleased. The Cobramag had a very nice finish and feel to it. The one thing I noticed was that the Super 7 Upgrade kit felt like it had more spring tension than what the Cobramag had. Otherwise, both ran great.
    I put 100 rounds of WWB 230gr through my Kimber Pro Carry II with no issues. Before switching to the Tripp products, I noticed that with the original Kimber mag and the Kimpro my gun seemed to have a sluggish feel. Almost a "kachunk" sound/feel when it cycled. With the new mags, that is no longer the case. I am not sure if the way the Cobramags set the first round higher helps or if I am just imagining, but it doesn't do it anymore. I am very pleased and would recommend these to anyone. As a matter of fact, as soon as I got through shooting a friend, who is an avid 1911 shooter, walked into the range and I told him to get some.

Posts liked by others
    I put the upgrade kits into five Wilson 47D mags, going from 8 to seven rounds. Flawless performance in 3 Combat Commanders (1975, 1976, 2006 XSE) and 1 Commander (1951) with alloy frame. Most of the use was in the '51 - probably 500 rounds or so.
    EBK
    "...there's one in every crowd for cryin' out loud, but why was it always turning out to be me?" --- W. Jennings

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast