Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Has this happened to you?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Has this happened to you?

I loaded up 300 rds. 200gr Laser cast SWC for my 1911's. After about 100 rds the ammo won't feed. I took the gun home from the range and took the gun apart. There was lead build up in the chamber. I cleaned the gun [SA Mil-Spec] Boy what a job. The next time back at the range the same thing happens with my Dan Wesson PTE-Expert. There is leading in the chamber. So I took a close look at the ammo. The OAL is fine. But there is some loose lead on the sholder of the projectiles. That I hope is causing the problem. I wiped down all the bullets I have left out of the 300 I loaded. I hope this fixes the problem. If anyone else has had this happen would you please let me know how to avoid this in the future. P.S. When I loaded the 300 rds my dies were pretty dirty. I have loaded many thousands of rounds using 200 gr lead swc and not had any problems.
    Last edited by gordonferris; 5th July 2004 at 18:20.

Posts liked by others
    I've got 2 SA's (Loaded & Mil-Spec) and both are picky about my reloads. I'm guessing that they have a smaller chamber, as my Colts never fail to chamber with them, no matter how many I'm running through.
    I haven't mic'd the chambers yet, but will do it to see if I'm correct.
    So when I'm using them in my SA's, I make sure the area where the bullet meets the case is clean. Then I don't have the problem, at least it will take more rounds before it happens.

Posts liked by others
    You are not using enough bell on the case mouth. The case mouth is shaving lead off of the bullet during the seating process which is fouling the chamber. Poorly made bullets (improper sizing or cheap alloy) could also cause this problem, but I doubt it as Laser Cast has a good reputation for quality.

Posts liked by others
    PS Semi auto cases shorten with use as the brass flows towards the head upon firing. If you are using the same cases over and over, they will shorten more rapidly than if you have a large supply to draw from. A shorter case won't bell as much as a longer one because the mouth doesn't reach as far up the expander plug. As the brass shortens, sometimes it is nrcessary to re adjust the expander die.

Posts liked by others

Thanks Gammon

You are right on. I cleaned and readjusted my dies and have had no problems. With my loads. Thanks again. Gordie

Posts liked by others

Wink

Another way to clean the chamber is to wrap some of that copper colored - copper pan scouring steel wool looking stuff around your bore brush, then twist the brush in the chamber. DON'T USE STEEL WOOL, use the copper stuff. You can get it at any grocery store. The bore and chambers are very hard, and the copper won't hurt it. I've been using it for years, and it's fast and easy.
    Dan0

"The will to win is NOT as great as the will to prepare to win"

Posts liked by others
    Perhaps this is too obvious, but do you de-burr your brass before you load it thr first time? If the case lip is rough or sharp this can happen. A very light de-burring the first time a piece of brass is loaded will reduce or eliminate this type of bullet damage during seating. A touch more neck expansion could help as well.

breitak67