Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The grip thread

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Excellent Looking grips i'm no wood worker so i wont even try

Posts liked by others
    If nothing else, maybe the pics gave your mind a rest.

Posts liked by others
    Sarge great work. I am jealous of your talents. I would buy some from you if you want to sell a few sets you can pm me. Congrats on some great work.

Posts liked by others
    A tip for those who may be making grip panels and are perplexed by getting the holes centerred on each other.
    I use a scrap piece of 1/4" thick stock that approximately 3" x 14" as a "spring clamp" to hold the panels in place. I simply speed clamp one side to my drill press table (use a spacer if you need to), put the grip panel to be drilled under the scrap and in the proper alignment to the bit and then bend the scrap over the grip and clamp it on the other side of the table. I drill the 15/64 hole first, then without moving the clamped grip, immediately change bits to the 9/32 and drill the grip screw hole. This ensures that the two are aligned perfectly with each other.
    Also, I have experienced times where the actual bushing hole is just a 64th or so off and wont fit on the frame (I always shoot for a tighter "press fit" anyway, but I'm talking about the holes jsut not being right). In those cases, you can re-drill the bushing hole inside the perimeter of the grip screw hole boundaries on one or even both if you need to without the difference being at all noticeable once the grips are on and screwed down to the frame. We all shoot for perfection, but can't always attain it on a 100% basis.
    Hope this helps someone out.
    Sarge
    Last edited by sarge43; 12th March 2008 at 11:28.

Posts liked by others
    my first attempt was this evening

This is the first set prototype

I've always done a little wood working, so when I found this;

http://www.1911pistolgrips.com/process.php

it was a piece of cake.
    (for plain smooth panals, anyway)
    The trickiest part is getting the holes and counter sinks exact
    I got 'em right the first time

here's a closer look.
    rough cut black walnut, I ripped the scales to 3/8" thick on the table saw.
    The traced the lines from a "store bought" set of grips.
    Scroll saw, drill press, dremel, belt sander and palm finish sander with grits up to 800 did the rest

took me about 3 hours start to finish
    speaking of finish, I haven't done that yet.

I'm looking for a jig/fixture to checker now.
    I started a thread just now in the multitool room asking about checkering fixtures

..L.T.A.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge43
    Probably my favorite set from this weekend, full size bookmatched crosscut Ambrosia Maple stocks. Glass smooth polyurethane finish. I need to clean the "burrs" out of the screw holes, but other than that, these are beauties.
    I love Ambrosia Maple and the story behind it. Not too many woods out there that offer the color blue naturally. I don't stain or otherwise color any of the wood I work with as I simply don't think I can improve on it. [IMG][/IMG]
    MAN,I have really fallen in like with that wood. It reminds me(a bit) of the leaf pattern on a real nice cigar(if it were a little greener). Is that a descent example of what that woods "average" grain appearance is?

Posts liked by others
    Cap - Good to see you here! I just sent you a pm with some info and to tell you about this thread.
    You're on your way to being addicted man, be careful! The grips look great! I look forward to seeing the grips finished when they get to that point. Keep up the good work!
    Sarge

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody302
    MAN,I have really fallen in like with that wood. It reminds me(a bit) of the leaf pattern on a real nice cigar(if it were a little greener). Is that a descent example of what that woods "average" grain appearance is?
    Cody,
    The pics are of what I call "Dirty Ambrosia Maple" as it has an overall darker tone and the colors are a little muted. It's not a knock on it, it's beautiful. It's just a way of me differentiating between it and it's brother which is much brighter. You can find Ambrosia Maple with a very light creamy base color and the colorings being bright blue with some other colors thrown in. Very stark contrast in it. Beautiful stuff. I'll be making some grips out of that in the near future I hope. I just have to keep up with demand right now, but I always take time to make what I want also. I'll post up some pics when I get some of the brighter variety done.
    You just can't beat beautiful wood can you?
    Sarge

Posts liked by others
    A teaser of pics to come......
    Last night I started on the following grips:
    Crosscut spalted Tamarind - One of my personal favorite woods
    Crosscut Marblewood
    beeswing Narra
    Wenge with a bloodwood diagonal stripe
    Bubinga with a wenge diagonal stripe (these should be really cool)
    Black and White Ebony - should be very cool also
    Amboyna burl in full size and officers
    Some will be "normal" with the MSH pin cutout and jewelled bottom, some will be full bottomed (no MSH pin cutout) in either flat or jewelled. I really like the different looks.
    I may make some that are higher on the frame also, going up more square toward the slide. Been thinking about that. More of a full coverage kind of grip.
    Playing around is half the fun isn't it?
    Glad to see others gravitating to the thread and posting pics, ideas, etc. Very nice.
    Sarge
    Last edited by sarge43; 13th March 2008 at 12:30.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge43
    Cody,
    The pics are of what I call "Dirty Ambrosia Maple" as it has an overall darker tone and the colors are a little muted. It's not a knock on it, it's beautiful. It's just a way of me differentiating between it and it's brother which is much brighter. You can find Ambrosia Maple with a very light creamy base color and the colorings being bright blue with some other colors thrown in. Very stark contrast in it. Beautiful stuff. I'll be making some grips out of that in the near future I hope. I just have to keep up with demand right now, but I always take time to make what I want also. I'll post up some pics when I get some of the brighter variety done.
    You just can't beat beautiful wood can you?
    Sarge
    No Sir you can't. I don't know why,but I have a huge fascination with different woods. Not so much what they're made into, but the wood itself. Then when it happens to involve another interest,like guns,it makes it all that much more irresistible.

Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast