Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: digital scale

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

digital scale

My digital has lost it's mind. I would like your opinions for a replacement.

Posts liked by others
    Your not trying to use it under a florscent ligh are you. That can mess them up. It did mine. Otherwise, I have the PACT DPPS (Digital Precision Powder Scale) with A/C adapter. It has served me well now that I got it out from under the florscent lights.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Last edited by LeeCreekKid; 5th March 2009 at 21:35.

Posts liked by others
    No. Learned that a long time ago. It is a Lyman 1000, one the first ones, has served me well over the years but has gone bananas.

Posts liked by others

Get an Acculab scale!

I have two digital scales in addition to a couple of beam scales. Without a doubt, the Acculab scale is the best digital I could find in regard to features, accuracy, and quality for at the reloading bench. Its probably overkill if you only shoot pistol for fun and throw all your charges with a powder measure. However, if you ever hand weigh powder charges for bullseye pistol competitions, varmint or target rifle loads it is the BEST. It is rock steady and NEVER loses zero or calibration. The only problem is that it is $300.00 (You can find it for sale on the web for $259.00)

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/...230&type=store

The AccuLab Scale goes way beyond most reloading scales on the market. Reads to 0.01 grains instead of 0.1 grains, has a weight counting function (great for bullets), and a weight percentage function that is useful for sorting brass. The large footprint provides a very stable weighing platform. Includes a glass air shield, flip-up hard cover, calibration weight, integral centering bubble level, and adjustable feet. Weighs in grains or grams. Made in USA. Two year warranty.

Its pricey buy you will never buy another.
    Regards,

Ralph

Springer Long Slide V16 45 ACP
    XD Sub-Compact 40 SW
    XDm 9MM
    Kahr Micro 40 Elite w/Crimson Trace Grips for Carry
    Kimber 1911 Eclipse Custom II 10MM
    Kimber 1911 Target 22LR
    A Pair of Evil Roy 45LC Six Guns
    Cimarron 45LC 10" Buntline Single Six
    Last edited by Ralph Grant; 5th March 2009 at 21:46. Reason: Link was broken

Posts liked by others
    I have an RCBS 750 model and the instructions don't have the warning about fluorescent lights. I can understand why the fluorescent ballasts could cause interference which possibly over time could harm the circuits, but how would the light itself cause damage?
    Tony, NRA Benefactor, Ret. USAF
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Tony

As I understand it, it is not the high voltage from the ballast, it is the plasma setting up shock waves. Really sounds crazy but that is what causes the strain gauge scales to freak out.

Ralph

Yo. That is the ticket. Thanks for the info. Made is U.S.A. made my day
    Last edited by tody; 5th March 2009 at 22:45.

Posts liked by others
    For what it is worth (and I know I was not asked about beam balances) but I prefer quality beam balances over digital scales for powder work.
    I believe they are more accurate and you don't have to worry about power.

Posts liked by others
    I've been using an RCBS 750 with fluorescent lights several feet above it for over a year. At what distance does the lighting become a problem?

Posts liked by others
    3ft if I remember correctly.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by tody
    3ft if I remember correctly.
    Thanks.

My lights are further away and I'll keep that in mind as I expand my reloading bench later this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast