Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Magazines

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Picture link

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Tuner/Lips.jpg

Hope you don't mind if I add a link to a picture you previously posted.
    I think it is an excellent illustration of what the feed lips look like.

Posts liked by others

CM USGI mags

My first post--- (I come from the other 1911 forum.)

I have a Colt Commander (1991A1 from 1994) and mostly shoot 230gr RNL or truncated 225 gr lead at the range. For self defense rounds I usually shoot 230gr Rem Golden Saber or Winchester Ranger. These hollowpoints have a "ball type" profile/ogive.

Would the Checkmate USGI style 7 round mags be a better alternative to even the hybrid? I really never shoot wadcutters anymore, I keep it simple and buy thousands of RNL or truncated flat point.

I plan to order one of the Checkmate mags in each style (hybrid and USGI) and test them out with my Commander.

I recently replaced the spring in my original Colt mag (7rounder) with a Wolff extra power for Colt mags and it is running 100% with everything I'm shooting. I had to sell my Wilson 7 rounders- they hiccup on the last round about 30% of the time, even after installing fresh Wolff springs.

Nice web forum...

Thanks!
    David Sonnier
    Slidell LA

Posts liked by others

hybrid

Stick with the checkmate 7 round hybrid

I would order a few, you can't go wrong

I have twenty in my range bag, they see steady use, all types of ammo
    no problems

over time I did replace the spring with the wolf 11 pound for 7 rounds
    not that they needed it, it just helped me sleep better at night.

I have also 10 springfield 7 round mags with the wolf spring and they are perfect as well.

Great mags for a lifetime

Go PENNS
    Last edited by sal1911A1; 13th May 2008 at 06:44.

Posts liked by others
    What about using CM USGI mags? Since I use predominately 230gr RNL similar type profiles in hollowpoint, wouldn't the USGI style be even better? I figure since the hybrids try to capture the best of both worlds, and I'm not using short wadcutters, maybe the best bet would be USGI style.

I guess I'll found out when I order one of each and shoot the heck out of em.

I'd just like to know "on paper" if my reasoning is valid.

Posts liked by others

7 round Hybrid

I know you will love the checkmate 7 round hybrid
    All the things the GI mag will do and then some.

This is the best mag I ever used, and I tested a bunch over the years
    The feed lips have a slight taper with a release point, a flat follow with dimple,
    could it be any better

Other members on this forum will turn you into a magazine expert in no time

Try them you will be happy

and welcome, we are just one happy family over here

except Tom he likes the Islanders(Just kidding)
    Last edited by sal1911A1; 13th May 2008 at 18:44.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by sal1911A1
    I know you will love the checkmate 7 round hybrid
    All the things the GI mag will do and then some.

This is the best mag I ever used, and I tested a bunch over the years
    The feed lips have a slight taper with a release point, a flat follow with dimple,
    could it be any better

Other members on this forum will turn you into a magazine expert in no time

Try them you will be happy

and welcome, we are just one happy family over here

except Tom he likes the Islanders(Just kidding)
    Thanks! I have lurked on the forum as a guest for a few years and have been a member of 1911forum.com for years. This forum is very good.

Yeah, I love the hybrid style - my 1991A1 Commander came with one - the factory mag. In fact there is a C stamped on the baseplate, so I know it's a CMI made for Colt.

But again, what I want to know is wouldn't the USGI mag be a better choice if you were shooting purely 230gr RNL and 230gr hollowpoints (with the ball profile, like Rem Fed and Win seems to make)?

Seems the USGI style from CMI would be a more smoother feeding mag when using purely ball type stuff or ball profile HP's. I know the hybrid kinda tries to cut the mustard a bit with the taper and release point. And I wouldn't use the USGI spec mag to try to feed SWC reloads. I don't shoot them anymore. I keep my reloading simple with 230gr LRN.

thanks again!
    Last edited by dsonyay; 14th May 2008 at 12:37.

Posts liked by others

Ok

Tuner could be more helpful on this one

But I will try, I have shot both with hardball, hollow points etc

Nothing is smoother that the Hybrid lips on the Colt mags or Checkmates,

The Hybrid lip mags have a slight taper which the round lifts slighty in the rear and a release point in the proper location makes a smooth feeding mag.

It is very hard to beat,

I hope this helps
    Last edited by sal1911A1; 14th May 2008 at 14:55.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by sal1911A1
    Tuner could be more helpful on this one

But I will try, I have shot both with hardball, hollow points etc

Nothing is smoother that the Hybrid lips on the Colt mags or Checkmates,

The Hybrid lip mags have a slight taper which the round lifts slighty in the rear and a release point in the proper location makes a smooth feeding mag.

It is very hard to beat,

I hope this helps
    yeah, sorta
    But isn't the taper on the USGI more what the original design called for? So wouldn't it be the better choice for ball type ammo and some of the hollowpoints? To me, the USGI taper is more pronounced without the abrupt let-off. Isn't that correct?

david

Posts liked by others

This might help

This might help

From Tuner's post: (Royalty Check sent)

When the magazine release is correctly timed, it feeds the rim gradually and in a controlled fashion into the extractor pickup point...resisting the slide's impact and keeping the round in contact with the slide rather than being knocked forward of it. The bullet nose is in contact with the feed ramp, and is being cammed upward. The rim is also rising as it moves forward in the tapered lips...both being pushed upward by the magazine spring. This push is even and nearly parallel front to rear, unless the follower pitches forward, and effects a nose-dive into the ramp...causing the round to climb at a sharper angle.

When the release point is correctly timed, it hands the round off, and when it finally gets free, the angled breechface takes over and continues to let the rim come up gradually...under resistance...to keep it in contact with the slide as the round makes the final bit of breakover into the chamber. The magazine and the breechface are redundant features that compliment and back one another up in the event that either is less than optimum. Of the two, the magazine is the more critical. You can find happiness with a vertical breechfacce and a late/gradual release magazine than with an early/abrupt release magazine. You can also find it with a correctly angled breechface and an early/abrupt magazine...but just not with the same bet-your-life reliability as when both are within spec. Here is where the intermittent malfunction comes from. The one that has no rhyme or apparent reason, and occurs so infrequently as to cause us to chalk it up to fluke or bad ammo...but there's a mechanical reason for it all the same...and it's usually the magazine.

Check-Mate industries has stepped forward and said that if we want'em, they'll supply'em...and without having to go through the middle man to get'em. These tapered hybrids that they make are the best of the best, and I strongly advise one and all to take advantage of it. If your gun won't run with these...you've got bigger problems than a magazine can cure.
    Last edited by sal1911A1; 14th May 2008 at 21:21.

Posts liked by others
    yeah, I understand . Thanks for the information....

but that's not what I'm really after. What I want to know is this- if I only use 230gr RNL and shoot quality well designed 230gr hollow point bullets, wouldn't the USGI mags from CMI be an even more reliable alternative than the hybrid? The hybrid I know is what Colt uses, but that design is still made to cover a wider variety of bullet styles. If I narrow down my loads to more of what the 1911 was designed for wouldn't USGI style feed lips be more what I'd want and offer even more of a smoother feed and more controlled feed?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast