Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has carried a 1911 in uniform?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Who has carried a 1911 in uniform?

Yes, there is already a thread by this title but it is locked so I am starting another one..I'll go first. In Vietnam I bought a Colt NM from a guy and carried and used it on a number of LRRP and recon plt,. missions. I ended up selling it for 50.00 for stereo equipment money. So how about you?

Posts liked by others
    I didn't 'carry',but the first time I ever shot one of those old 'slabsides';I hit nothing but dirt probably 10' in front of the target!!! (in boot camp).I've gotten a 'little' better since then and that was 39 yrs. ago.My,how time flies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts liked by others
    I carried one for a few weeks in Nam, but gave it up and carried more rifle ammo.

Posts liked by others

Cool M1911a1

I humped an M60 and always had the M1911A1 on my side.
    "shoot him again,he's still squirmin'"

Posts liked by others
    When I first signed up in 87 I carried 'em. Transitioned to the M-9 (Beretta 92FS) and we all bitched until the last 1911 was shipped off. Fortunately they never took away my 12 gauge!

I retired last year.
    "In the heat of battle you don't remember very much, you don't think very fast, you act by instinct, which is really training, so you've got to be trained for battle and you'll react just exactly the way you do in training."
    - COMMODORE ARLEIGH BURKE, "After Battle Reports", July - August 1945

Posts liked by others
    The Navy transitioned to the Beretta later than the other services - we carried 1911s on my first ship (1992-1996). Back then, I even carried my personally owned 1911 on boarding ops - it just had to have government ammo in the magazine, and was kept in the ship's armory when not being used. It was comforting to be able to carry my own .45 with proven magazines, since the ship's 1911s had tired old magazines that caused a lot of problems during qualification shoots.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by hpstewart
    The Navy transitioned to the Beretta later than the other services - we carried 1911s on my first ship (1992-1996).
    I, too, can attest to that. I was shipboard from 91-93, and from POOW duties to Security Rover watch to being part of the ship's Security Alert detail, I carried an M1911A1.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    Carried one as a Police officer until the new chief came in and made us get rid of them because "a cocked pistol is offensive to the public".

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    I, too, can attest to that. I was shipboard from 91-93, and from POOW duties to Security Rover watch to being part of the ship's Security Alert detail, I carried an M1911A1.
    Me, too. I was ship's company '86-'88, so that wasn't an issue so much. Desert storm had the Fleet Hospitals deploying with 1911's and Fleet 5 had 9mm ammo, nearby Marines had M9s and .45 fodder. Easy fix.

As an aside, the Army side had issues with Guard units arriving with M16A1s and some with 'A2s, which required different 5.56 loadings to be effective.

Remember boys and girls, logistics wins wars.
    Regards,

Tom

Posts liked by others
    Carried a 1911A1 while leading patrols along the Czech/German border back in the early 70's. We always wore them in the GI issued shoulder holsters under a field jacket, until a Soviet col., shot one of our guys thinking that he was going for his 45 instead of a pen. After that we had to wear them in strong-side holsters out in the open.....!#@$%^ commies
    Professionals are predictable, it's the amateurs that are dangerous. "Murphy's Rules of Combat"

Phil
    NRA Member
    Vietnam Vet

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast