Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black Stainless Finish Confusion and an explanation on Serial Number prefixes

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Oh, nevermind.. after further inspection mine is N500024.

Since we're talking about black stainless... and I like sharing photos... Here are some clickable thumbnails.

Last edited by zanejones; 12th May 2005 at 16:51.

Posts liked by others
    JoniLynn: I don't have any pics of my champion period, but I need to post some. I am currently working on a set of butternut grips for it. I wish I had a picture of the matching blood blisters on my little fingers though. Had "one of those days" at the range. I managed to pinch both my pinkies between the mag base plate and the lip of the mag well on the SA. It'll hurt more tomorrow.
    Old and wiley beats young and exuberant everytime.

Posts liked by others

TRP Problems

I have a new Springfield TRP in stainless. Got it home and several different brands of magazines would fail to seat. They simly would not go up into the mag well without a problem. To get them out took a tremendous amount of pull. They would bind something awful. Took it back to the shop and it seems that on the inside of the frame, near the top of the mag well, it was very rough and not even or smooth. Also, the pistolsmith at the local shop did a little work on the mag release. Still had problems. Sent it back to Springfield. Took about two weeks and all I got was a note that said magazines failed to seat and drop free. No work was apparently done on the pistol and I was out $26 for shipping. To make matters worse, it still had the original problem. Needless to say, as a LEO officer and instructor, we all know the need to carry a weapon that functions first time, every time. I have no confidence in this pistol now and traded it in on another (a Kimber). Has anyone else had this problem with both function and what I deem to be terrible service from their service dept.? I had been a tremendous Springfield supporter until this, now I am somewhat disheartened with them as a firearms manufacturer and do not know if I will purchase any more Springfield products.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by zanejones
    Oh, nevermind.. after further inspection mine is N500024.

Since we're talking about black stainless... and I like sharing photos... Here are some clickable thumbnails.

VERY nice M1911. I almost bought one when I was shopping, but went with a PX9151L which is gray and stainless instead of black and stainless. Like others in this forum I hear the siren call of the black stainless... one might well work itself into my collection. Nice photos too!
    RioGrande481
    NRA Member
    SA M1911 PX9151L
    Cimarron 1911P high polished
    Remington R1

Posts liked by others

NM Prefix

The nm does not signify National Match as is rumored.
    No. I don't think they would be quite that generous.

But in looking at Parkerized Mil-Spec 1911s, I have noticed that the "NM" prefixed pistols have a stainless-steel barrel bushing that appears to be of superior workmanship, and what appears to be a better-finished barrel all around. This has been the case with the ones I've looked at.

Do they shoot better?

We'll see....

Tom
    Last edited by Morrisey; 13th September 2005 at 22:54.

Posts liked by others
    Particular batches of pistols are sent to regional distributors. You are probably seeing a lot of NM prefixed pistols based on your geographic area. According to Springfield, there is no difference between the nm, m, n, mn batch prefixes. My Champion is an N series and it is black stainless with a matching bushing. My older champion is blued, also with a matching bushing, and they certainly appear to me to be of equal quality and finish both interior and exterior. If an nm would make y ou happier, then by all means get one, but I believe that haven spoken with SA, the letter prefix is is a false indicator.
    Old and wiley beats young and exuberant everytime.

Posts liked by others
    The NM prefix denotes certain parts being made in brazil but shipped and then finished in the U.S. The NM prefix mil-specs have the better quality barrel bushing in stainless and a ONE PIECE barrel. It also is NOT marked "Brazil" on the side. Those are the main differences. I also have an NM prefixed mil-spec with some tiny mods.

Here's mine.

Last edited by smoke63b; 17th October 2005 at 20:16.

Posts liked by others
    Springfield Armory serial prefixes denote the production group that assembled and finished the pistol. The NM group is in the United States. You're correct that the forgings, etc., come from Imbrel, in Brazil (itself a high-quality arms producer).

The barrel may appear to be all one piece on NM prefixes, but is actually two-piece that is just joined extremely well. Some folks have thought their "one-piece barrel" was cracking when the two-piece joiner line became visible after the pistol became dirty. On mine, I can't find where one piece ends and the other begins for love nor money, but my smith (one of the international names) assures me it is two-piece.

That doesn't mean they are bad barrels. My stock Mil-Spec kept a five-shot group well under an inch, center-to-center, at 25 yards if I controlled my caffeine intake.

Tom

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrisey
    Springfield Armory serial prefixes denote the production group that assembled and finished the pistol. The NM group is in the United States. You're correct that the forgings, etc., come from Imbrel, in Brazil (itself a high-quality arms producer).

The barrel may appear to be all one piece on NM prefixes, but is actually two-piece that is just joined extremely well. Some folks have thought their "one-piece barrel" was cracking when the two-piece joiner line became visible after the pistol became dirty. On mine, I can't find where one piece ends and the other begins for love nor money, but my smith (one of the international names) assures me it is two-piece.

That doesn't mean they are bad barrels. My stock Mil-Spec kept a five-shot group well under an inch, center-to-center, at 25 yards if I controlled my caffeine intake.

Tom

I could be horribly, horribly wrong about this but, one of the moderators on that "other" 1911 site just called springfield recently because of this same debate over there. He was told by springfield that it was a one piece barrel. If I find that post, I'll stick a link to it up here if that's ok.

Posts liked by others
    I just bought one today! I looked really hard at a Wilson, I tried a couple of different Springers, specifically a 9132L and a Para-ord and they just didn't feel right-then I picked up the black/stainless-it just felt right and pointed well right away. So I bought it. It is yet unfired and that will soon be remedied. Everything felt very crisp, nice trigger and a very nice safety engagement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast